Frobby

Who's in the Orioles' top 10 prospects for 2015?

Offhand:

Bundy

Harvey

Sisco

Reyes

Mancini

Mountcastle

Gunkel

Hess

I'm not sure if Wright and Wilson will have lost their rookie status or not. If not, I'd probably slate them after Mancini to round out the top 10. If they don't qualify, I'm not sure what I'd do.

• Upvote 1

Gotta figure Stewart is up near the top, despite his poor showing so far. Gray Fenter has done pretty well number-wise in his limited action this year and he was fairly well regarded at the time of the draft, if the scouting reports on him are solid then he may be toward the bottom of the top 10.

1. Sisco

2. Reyes

3. Bundy

4. Harvey

5. Mancini

6. Mountcastle

7. Walker

8. Wilson

9. Hess

10. Stewart

Wright is going to have over 45 days on the active roster, so he will lose his rookie status. Wilson will not. It's a sad list and I'm putting Stewart in at 10 as a courtesy. High probability that he is a bust. A soon to be 22 year old advanced college bat should not be struggling like he has in short season ball. He's had over 200 at bats, so it's a decent enough sample size to make some conclusions. I have Sisco and Reyes ahead of Bundy and Harvey because of the uncertainty surrounding their injuries/recoveries.

I think Walker has become somewhat of a forgotten man. His OPS is at .748 in Norfolk, which is not bad considering the league and the park. .925 against lefties, so he may have a platoon career ahead of him at least. He's still solidly in the top ten for me, which I can't do for Dariel Alvarez. Alvarez is too old and too mediocre to be considered a real prospect.

Edited by ChuckS
  • Upvote 1

1. Sisco

2. Reyes

3. Bundy

4. Harvey

5. Mancini

6. Mountcastle

7. Walker

8. Wilson

9. Hess

10. Stewart

Wright is going to have over 45 days on the active roster, so he will lose his rookie status. Wilson will not. It's a sad list and I'm putting Stewart in at 10 as a courtesy. High probability that he is a bust. A soon to be 22 year old advanced college bat should not be struggling like he has in short season ball. He's had over 200 at bats, so it's a decent enough sample size to make some conclusions. I have Sisco and Reyes ahead of Bundy and Harvey because of the uncertainty surrounding their injuries/recoveries.

I think Walker has become somewhat of a forgotten man. His OPS is at .748 in Norfolk, which is not bad considering the league and the park. .925 against lefties, so he may have a platoon career ahead of him at least. He's still solidly in the top ten for me, which I can't do for Dariel Alvarez. Alvarez is too old and too mediocre to be considered a real prospect.

I think you have everyone slotted about right. But I disagree with you on that being a "sad" list. Of course anytime we see Bundy and Harvey we get frustrated. But their still young. If healthy they are rated appropriately. I know big "IF". But Cisco earned his way to Bowie as a 20 year old and looks very promising. The pundits hated that pick. During the draft thread we couldn't even find his profile in most publications top 250 or whatever lists. Reyes is also a beast. I think it speaks volumes to how underrated are system is that a guy that had the year that Mancini had is only ranked 5th.

I wouldn't worry about Stewart that much. If you look at the league leaders in the NY Penn league their are very few players that have OPS's over .800. Hess is definitely underrated as well as Gunkel. Walker was overshadowed by Mancini and I give Walker a break for playing in that park in Norfolk. There's a lot of upside in that list. And that doesn't mention the players we graduated this year like Givens, Wright, and Clevenger. Plus the system still has high upside guys like Miranda, Leyva, Kline combined with guys like Urrutia, Alvarez, the mystery cuban guy that is like 5'8".

They farm system is producing players. Last year it was Joseph and Schoop. This year it's been Wright, Wilson, Givens, and Clevenger.

• Upvote 1

It's a pretty thin system. Not sure I could name the next 10 guys. I would run probably run out of names.

Anyone saying our system produced players this year is really reaching. Other teams teams are calling up top prospects like Severino, Lindor, and others - our guys moved to the majors this year were really not of sufficient quality to keep pace with most of the rest of the league IMO as we head into next season. Not a starting position player or rotation guy guaranteed a spot as we finish the season.

From Cots:

Rookie Qualification

A player is a rookie unless, during a previous season or seasons, he has:

more than 130 at-bats or 50 innings pitched in the Major Leagues, or

more than 45 days on a Major League active roster during the 25-man limit period (April-August), excluding time on the disabled list.

None of Wright, Wilson or Givens have enough days in the majors to be passed their rookie status. And since September and DL time does not count time in the majors will not be a problem for them staying rookies.

As long as they don't go passed 50 innings in the majors they will be rookies next year.

Currently

Wright 34.2 IP

Wilson 24.2 IP

Givens 19 IP

I think Mancini will be in Baseball America's top 50 prospects. I don't think any other Orioles prospect will be. I think that puts Mancini at the top of the list. JMO

I'd be okay with the list being thin if there were a bunch of stud prospects at the top, but there aren't any stud prospects - particularly with Bundy and Harvey haven't been able to stay healthy. Presumably there are reasons that baseball people aren't particularly impressed by Sisco and Mancini, and even if Reyes makes it - it won't be for several years. There's nobody worthy of the 1st or 2nd spot. And the fact that the O's relied on guys like Wright and Wilson as starters is an indication of how bad things are.

1. Bundy

2. Harvey

3. Reyes

4. Mancini

5. Sisco

6. Wright

7. Givens

8. Mountcastle

9. Stewart

0. Hess

Edited by RZNJ

1. Bundy

2. Harvey

3. Reyes

4. Mancini

5. Sisco

6. Wright

7. Mountcastle

8. Stewart

9. Hess

0. Gunkel

I agree with this list for now. Good work. Were does Wilson slot?

My list:

1. Mancini

2. Harvey

3. Bundy

4. Sisco

5. Mountcastle

6. Givens (future closer)

7. Hess

8. Gunkel

9. Wilson

10. Triggs

Edited by wildcard
  • Upvote 1

I think Mancini will be in Baseball America's top 50 prospects. I don't think any other Orioles prospect will be. I think that puts Mancini at the top of the list. JMO

After talking to a few scouts, I would be shocked if he's in the top 100 despite his great year.

After talking to a few scouts, I would be shocked if he's in the top 100 despite his great year.

What's the reason for that? I'm not questioning if it's legitimate, I'd just like to know what is "wrong" with Mancini.

My list:

1. Mancini

2. Harvey

3. Bundy

4. Sisco

5. Mountcastle

6. Givens (future closer)

7. Hess

8. Gunkel

9. Wilson

10. Triggs

Triggs at #10. And no Jomar Reyes? Interesting. If Givens qualifies, I should have put him on my list.

Edited by RZNJ