OFFNY

Carl Yastrzemski's Final Career Home Run Did Not Even Count

o

Mike Yastrzemski's grandfather's final career home run was "washed out" of the record books, due to what is arguably the dumbest rule in sports (almost as bad as Division I-A college football's refusal to go to a 16-team playoff, which they could have and should have done at least 40 or 50 years ago.)

[video=youtube;iv4WVbFAeZo]

I did not know this. And though grainy, it appears to be vs. the O's.

Here's a rule I'm not crazy about. If the ball leaves the park for what is a walk-off, for

Pete's sake, award the guy an HR and all the runs. It's not his fault if the field is stormed.

[video=youtube;CpWyGSJMqlM]

I did not know this. And though grainy, it appears to be vs. the O's.

Here's a rule I'm not crazy about. If the ball leaves the park for what is a walk-off, for

Pete's sake, award the guy an HR and all the runs. It's not his fault if the field is stormed.

[video=youtube;CpWyGSJMqlM]

I agree with that, and believe that they should change it from what it is now (a Grand-Slam Single), to what it actually was (a Grand-Slam Home Run.)

Although in MLB's defense, there is a significant difference in what happened there as compared to what has happened in many other situations in the past (such as Chris Chambliss' grand slam home run in Game Five of the 1976 A.L.C.S., when the field was stormed by fans while he was rounding the bases, but Chambliss literally punched his way through many of them so that he could touch home plate) ...... in the case of Game Five of the 1999 N.L.C.S., the field was not stormed by fans from the stands, it was stormed by Ventura's own teammates. So being that the situation wasn't out of the team's control due to outside forces, you could make the argument that the consequence ought to be that Ventura forfeit the 3 RBI's that he did, and that he has/had to settle for the "Grand-Slam Single" that it was officially ruled as.