Going Underground

Jones wants say in offseason, plans to meet with Angelos

Adam Jones might just be my favorite Orioles ever based on this article alone.

Thank God for him. Someone needs to put their foot down and demand better of this front office, and it might as well be Jonesy. He's taking the words right out of our collective mouths here at the hangout.

He's even right about not wanting to be a part of rebuilding -- because if the team is really going to try a rebuild, they should just go ahead and trade Jones, not do it halfways.

exactly this.

We are really fortunate to have those guys. Stole Adam from the M's, Manny and Schoop are stars playing on rookie contracts, got Crush for basically nothing. Really I don't remember the last time we had talent like that, maybe in the 90's? I guess "never" is the wrong word, but every 20 years or so. I'm not sure I'll still be on this earth in 20 years.

We are really fortunate to have those guys. Stole Adam from the M's, Manny and Schoop are stars playing on rookie contracts, got Crush for basically nothing. Really I don't remember the last time we had talent like that, maybe in the 90's? I guess "never" is the wrong word, but every 20 years or so. I'm not sure I'll still be on this earth in 20 years.

I'd say that outside of 1954-1960 and the Dark Ages of 1998-2011 the Orioles have usually had a core of roughly that quality.

I have no problem with anything AJ has said recently or in the past. He's the perfect employee for this ball club and his concerns are legit. I hope, like AJ does, that the organization is committed to assembling a championship caliber team.

First thought that occurred to me as well.

It won't happen, of course, but if I'm PA I'd find a tactful way of not letting a player - even AJ - go over the heads of the people who've been given the job of assembling the team each year.

I am sorry but it is never good when a player jumps the chain of command. IMO.

I want the team to be better too. But leave the teams fortunes to DD, Buck to

deal with the owner.

deal with the owner.

I like what Adam is saying but generally I agree with you. Adam is a baseball player, not a talent evaluator. It is a nice rally cry but ultimately, Angelos sets a budget and Duquette decides how to use it. That's how it works and Jones words could be a precursor to more offseason drama that seems to follow the Orioles every year.

I think everyone worried about a repeat of last offseason will be pleasantly surprised. Last year was just inherently expensive with so many guys in the final arbitration year so there wasn't a whole lot of room for additions.

I have no problem with anything AJ has said recently or in the past. He's the perfect employee for this ball club and his concerns are legit. I hope, like AJ does, that the organization is committed to assembling a championship caliber team.

deal with the owner.

Exactly. I don't think anything good comes out of a player making demands for salary or talent. Puts the organization in a bad spot, and makes his current teammates look bad. If he wants to meet with Peter, fine. He should do it behind closed doors and not be voicing his concerns in public. He should also say that he wants to hear the organization's side of the story so he can understand their decisions.

I love AJ and want him to stay an Oriole. My fear is that the more public he is about his concerns, the more this goes down a path where he ends up playing for another team.

deal with the owner.

I tend to agree. It generally undermines the power and effectiveness of the GM - the guy who is best equipped to build a contender. But I understand and respect Jones' position, because if I was him, I'd see a team that could easily fall far out of contention the next few years - losing their top vets again - lacking the top prospects to plug in right away as replacements - and acting like they can't spend money.

deal with the owner.

Yup. By speaking out this way AJ has implicitly criticized Duquette's handling of the last offseason publicly, and at the same time put PA on the spot. If all he wanted to do was to plead the player's case to management and ownership, there were other avenues that would have been far more appropriate than going to the press. This strikes me as grandstanding on AJ's part, and while not likely to cause any lasting damage to his relationship with management and PA, I don't think he's done himself any favors in that department either.

Jones is basically saying what I and many others have said since last winter. Last winter we should have retained our free agents AND added some finishing pieces to try to get over the hump and win it all. Going into this offseason we still have some great players, need to replenish what we lost last offseason, retain Davis, O'Day, and maybe Chen....and then add the pieces to win.

This is the bottom line. If Angelos doesn't commit to winning Jones will ask for a trade, and we could also see Buck want out. This is coming to a head.

I really do not disagree with much of what you say. The O's did however try to retain their talent and will again this year. That is not the issue. The issue is that the talent they wanted to retain got paid more money and years than the O's will pay and likely will again this off season. As fans we have every right to want to see players retained and other than tickets, we have no real power to decide at what price we obtain talent.

I think in fairness the failure or lack of success this season is more about failing to replace players with similar production. However, it should go without saying that the O's are still as they were last year a very good team with streaky results. But they do still score runs. They have not pitched as well across the board and also in fairness the rest of the division improved more than we did.

Failing to rule the AL East only amplifies the fact that even if everyone was retained last year, this team has lots of pieces that will be difficult to retain at the conclusion of this season. Matt Wieters will be here next year if given a QO but I believe he will get one. O'Day may take a deal, but Chen and Davis are likely to go to the highest bidder even if the O's make a good offer.

I don't have the answers because I don't hold the purse strings. None of us do. But Adam Jones is correct in that this off season will need to go better than last regardless of how much money is spent.

I love to be optimistic, but IF it was my money, I would tie down Manny and maximize the QO's and then spend money on a pitcher to place at the top of the rotation and take my chances. While there will be lots of money available at the end of this season, the path to threading the needle of making all the right moves will be difficult...very difficult. We will see.

I'm glad that Jones is being proactive about this and getting this out in the media before the off season begins. Rather than send the angry tweet after he disagreed with moves. Jones is smart. Jones has a reputation as being one of the good guys in baseball. He's never had any run ins with managers or legal problems. The guy literally tried to run through a wall for the team. So when he speaks, PA has to listen. He can't just fire AJ. PA might not care how he comes off in regards to the MASN case or the DD fiasco. But he's going to have to care when his golden boy, star player starts raising a fuss.

The way I see it is this can only be a good thing for the O's. Maybe if Cal would have done this post firing Davey Johnson, we wouldn't have had to endure PA and losing for 14 years. Someone mentioned Lebron James earlier. That might not be as funny and far fetched as you think. The team makes a lot of money of AJ. I'm sure AJ would court the heck out off some FA's. He'd probably even go to the winter meetings.

I read all the posts. People want to ignore the problem that occurred this year. They think spending more would have solved this year's losing.

The O's finished last season with 5 starters with ERAs under 3.66 plus Jimenez. They will finish this season with one that repeated - Chen. The starters were the problem.

The offense was not the problem. The O's have scored more runs per game this year than last year. That is what Dan and Buck projected and it looks like it will happen.

I like Adam's passion. Dan will have about 40m to spend this off season. I doubt Peter adds more unless a Cruz type player falls in the O's lap like happened before the 2014 season.

We are likely to see the money spent on a combination of veterans and young players. Some of them may be O's FAs that Dan and Buck deem worth the money and re-signed. Maybe Chen, O'Day, Parra and a cheaper Pearce. Guys like Mancini, Walker, Alvarez and a bunch of relievers may get their chance to prove they belong.

It will be a interesting off season. I don't expect miracles. If the O's can fix Tillman and Gonzalez to be like they were in 2012-2014 it will go a long way toward fielding a winning team.

Edited by wildcard

I tend to agree. It generally undermines the power and effectiveness of the GM - the guy who is best equipped to build a contender. But I understand and respect Jones' position, because if I was him, I'd see a team that could easily fall far out of contention the next few years - losing their top vets again - lacking the top prospects to plug in right away as replacements - and acting like they can't spend money.

Based on the circus that occurred during the offseason regarding DD and the Blue Jays, I would suggest DD did enough all on his own to undermine the effectiveness of the GM position

Yup. By speaking out this way AJ has implicitly criticized Duquette's handling of the last offseason publicly, and at the same time put PA on the spot. If all he wanted to do was to plead the player's case to management and ownership, there were other avenues that would have been far more appropriate than going to the press. This strikes me as grandstanding on AJ's part, and while not likely to cause any lasting damage to his relationship with management and PA, I don't think he's done himself any favors in that department either.

Agree. He's paid to play; not partake in personnel decisions. This should not have been brought up in public. Rest assured Angelos, Duquette, Showalter and the rest of the FO is now fully aware of his comments. I'd imagine they are not pleased with Jones' handling of the situation.