Sign in to follow this  
Elbren

Muslim Boy Arrested in TX for Bringing Science Project to School

Most people don't know what a real bomb looks like. Just what they see in the movies. So it shouldn't be surprising something that comes in a brief case with a bunch of wires, a circuit board, and a time on it looks suspicious. I don't blame people for being suspicious but it should have been obvious quickly that it wasn't a bomb after an inspection. Clearly these teachers and police aren't too bright. But that's why they are high school teachers and police officers in Texas.

To put the kid in handcuffs is way overreacting. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some racism involved but I do think the outcome would have been similar no matter the color of the kids skin.

Most people don't know what a real bomb looks like. Just what they see in the movies. So it shouldn't be surprising something that comes in a brief case with a bunch of wires, a circuit board, and a time on it looks suspicious. I don't blame people for being suspicious but it should have been obvious quickly that it wasn't a bomb after an inspection. Clearly these teachers and police aren't too bright. But that's why they are high school teachers and police officers in Texas.

To put the kid in handcuffs is way overreacting. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some racism involved but I do think the outcome would have been similar no matter the color of the kids skin.

Safe to say none of us think handcuffing him was a sound idea.

The "science experiment" in question was reverse engineered by a blogger.

I found the highest resolution photograph of the clock I could. Instantly, I was disappointed. Somewhere in all of this – there has indeed been a hoax. Ahmed Mohamed didn’t invent his own alarm clock. He didn’t even build a clock. Now, before I go on and get accused of attacking a 14 year old kid who’s already been through enough, let me explain my purpose. I don’t want to just dissect the clock. I want to dissect our reaction as a society to the situation. Part of that is the knee-jerk responses we’re all so quick to make without facts. So, before you scroll down and leave me angry comments, please continue to the end (or not – prove my point, and miss the point, entirely!)

For starters, one glance at the printed circuit board in the photo, and I knew we were looking at mid-to-late 1970s vintage electronics. Surely you’ve seen a modern circuit board, with metallic traces leading all over to the various components like an electronic spider’s web. You’ll notice right away the highly accurate spacing, straightness of the lines, consistency of the patterns. That’s because we design things on computers nowadays, and computers assist in routing these lines. Take a look at the board in Ahmed’s clock. It almost looks hand-drawn, right? That’s because it probably was. Computer aided design was in its infancy in the 70s. This is how simple, low cost items (like an alarm clock) were designed. Today, even a budding beginner is going to get some computer aided assistance – in fact they’ll probably start there, learning by simulating designs before building them. You can even simulate or lay out a board with free apps on your phone or tablet. A modern hobbyist usually wouldn’t be bothered with the outdated design techniques. There’s also silk screening on the board. An “M” logo, “C-94” (probably, a part number – C might even stand for “clock”), and what looks like an American flag. More about that in a minute. Point for now being, a hobbyist wouldn’t silk screen logos and part numbers on their home made creation. It’s pretty safe to say already we’re looking at ’70s tech, mass produced in a factory.

So I turned to eBay, searching for vintage alarm clocks. It only took a minute to locate Ahmed’s clock. See this eBay listing, up at the time of this writing. Amhed’s clock was invented, and built, by Micronta, a Radio Shack subsidary. Catalog number 63 756.

The shape and design is a dead give away. The large screen. The buttons on the front laid out horizontally would have been on a separate board – a large snooze button, four control buttons, and two switches to turn the alarm on and off, and choose two brightness levels. A second board inside would have contained the actual “brains” of the unit. The clock features a 9v battery back-up, and a switch on the rear allows the owner to choose between 12 and 24 hour time. (Features like a battery back-up, and a 24 hour time selection seems awful superfluous for a hobby project, don’t you think?) Oh, and about that “M” logo on the circuit board mentioned above? Micronta.

I do not want this discussion to stray into politics which is why I want to focus on the above parts of the post.

Edited by TonySoprano

The blogger made a very good well articulated point at the end of article about the social media age and how everyone likes to jump to conclusions and pretend like they were there, just based on a headline. This is why I tend to not side with the victims too much until I get the whole story.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/12-year-old-lego-genius-invents-low-cost-braille-printer-article-1.1699215

Shubham Banerjee, a 12 year old boy, took a lego set and turned it into a Braille printer, reducing the cost from $2,000 to around $350. He then posted how to do it yourself.

So how come this kid isn't getting to see the president and getting goodies from MS?

<iframe width="635" height="357" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0YfnKB1zWOU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

On one hand we have a kid making lives better for others, and on the other hand we have a kid who essentially plagiarized a project. And the latter is lauded?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/12-year-old-lego-genius-invents-low-cost-braille-printer-article-1.1699215

Shubham Banerjee, a 12 year old boy, took a lego set and turned it into a Braille printer, reducing the cost from $2,000 to around $350. He then posted how to do it yourself.

So how come this kid isn't getting to see the president and getting goodies from MS?

<iframe width="635" height="357" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0YfnKB1zWOU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

On one hand we have a kid making lives better for others, and on the other hand we have a kid who essentially plagiarized a project. And the latter is lauded?

CoC and everyone else, we are NOT going to drift this into politics, and I've made that clear before. BTW "Essentially plagiarized?" There are people able to replicate this "experiment" in under a minute.

Edited by TonySoprano

Unlocked for an update.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/ahmed-mohamed-demands-15m-compensation-for-homemade-clock-arrest-a6745706.html

The family of Ahmed Mohamed, the Texan schoolboy who was arrested after taking a homemade clock to school, has demanded $15m in compensation and written apologies from the local mayor and police chief.

Clock boy demanding millions in a lawsuit from the school system? Hah! Given the whole thing was proven a sham I'll be looking forward to the discovery process.

Anybody who caves and gives the family one dime should immediately be removed from office. That's right I said it. The supposedly "severely traumatized" boy was feted around the world. His father insisted that the handcuffs remain on until his daughter took the picture below.

1442426997976.jpg

Here he is on the way home from the police station clearly "traumatized?"

ahmed-320x240.jpg

Are we going to open up the can of worms where every teenager that gets locked up is now a contestant on "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?"

Anybody who caves and gives the family one dime should immediately be removed from office. That's right I said it. The supposedly "severely traumatized" boy was feted around the world. His father insisted that the handcuffs remain on until his daughter took the picture below.

1442426997976.jpg

Here he is on the way home from the police station clearly "traumatized?"

ahmed-320x240.jpg

Are we going to open up the can of worms where every teenager that gets locked up is now a contestant on "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?"

A bunch of opportunists run amok.