Sign in to follow this  
PressBoxOnline

Orioles' Starting Rotation Faces Depth Problem In 2016

I think we'll add a vet SP in FA to replace Chen. Wright will be moved to the pen. Wilson will stay stretched out in AAA. DD will focus on the SP depth when he does he depth signings for the milb. Guys know that if they sign with us they will get a chance. So hopefully we can get the top SP types that are willing to sign minor league deals with ST invites. Of course we won't have "prospect" depth. But we should have Wilson, Gunkel, Bridwell, Miranda all in the mix for AAA. With Hess in AA and a hopefully healthy Bundy and Harvey in the mix somewhere in the upper minors. A healthy Bundy and Harvey changes everything.

I think we'll add a vet SP in FA to replace Chen. Wright will be moved to the pen. Wilson will stay stretched out in AAA. DD will focus on the SP depth when he does he depth signings for the milb. Guys know that if they sign with us they will get a chance. So hopefully we can get the top SP types that are willing to sign minor league deals with ST invites. Of course we won't have "prospect" depth. But we should have Wilson, Gunkel, Bridwell, Miranda all in the mix for AAA. With Hess in AA and a hopefully healthy Bundy and Harvey in the mix somewhere in the upper minors. A healthy Bundy and Harvey changes everything.

Bundy will have no options left, so he will be in the bullpen or on the DL.

I was dead set against Britton getting stretched out in ST and given a SP assignment in the rotation.

But, with Chen gone, Wright looking more like a reliever, Bundy & Harvey injuries and not ready for prime time, yet, it's starting to look more and more like it might not be a bad thing.

I just can't see DD doing anything of note to address the rotation. Hope I'm wrong but Maybe since he's not planning his exit to Toronto maybe he will do something, anything.

I was dead set against Britton getting stretched out in ST and given a SP assignment in the rotation.

But, with Chen gone, Wright looking more like a reliever, Bundy & Harvey injuries and not ready for prime time, yet, it's starting to look more and more like it might not be a bad thing.

I have been having the same thought, too, but very mixed feelings. One thing that would convince me is one or two examples of guys with similar stuff - sinker and occasional "get me over" slider - who have been successful as a starter. I think this has been asked before but I don't every remember seeing an answer. I do think he has been so good as a reliever that it is not hard to imagine him being at least decent as a starter. Then again, I love having a dependable guy at the back end of the bullpen and there is something to be said for "don't fix what ain't broke".

I would love to see a big FA starter signed that doesn't cost a pick. The prices for those guys though is going to be astronomical. I don't see it happening.

I just can't see DD doing anything of note to address the rotation. Hope I'm wrong but Maybe since he's not planning his exit to Toronto maybe he will do something, anything.
I would love to see a big FA starter signed that doesn't cost a pick. The prices for those guys though is going to be astronomical. I don't see it happening.

Last off season, DD was on top of the world, so much so that Toronto came calling. This off season, DD has to do something to protect his resume. If he does nothing of note, three things can happen:

(1) he can claim rebuilding, which may be the best recourse for him but requires more unpopular moves

(2) he can claim incompetence, which ruins his fragile rep as a comeback GM

(3) he can claim he's handcuffed by the owner, which burns more bridges

I'm pretty confident with so much room on the payroll that someone or two will be signed.