DrungoHazewood

2015-16 Real Football Thread

I'm a little surprised no one has started this yet, with the European leagues all a little over a month in. I'll go totally narcissistic on it and sum up the fortunes of all of my favorite teams I track on the FotMob app on my phone:

Tottenham Hotspur: A shaky and somewhat disappointing start to the year at 2-3-1. Harry Kane is following his breakout season by going goal-less so far. New signing Heung-Min Son from Leverkusen has looked good and scored the winner over the weekend against Palace. Hugo Lloris may still be the best player on the squad, and somehow is still on the team after many offseason transfer rumors. Team has been missing Christian Eriksen, which has contributed to the lack of scoring.

DC United: Near the top of the table in MLS despite losing their wildly underachieving designated player (Eddie Johnson) to injury. They're well-balanced, few stars. Seem to be kind of holding out for the new stadium in a couple years which hopefully brings in revenues. To allow them to sign over the hill Europeans like LA and NYC? We'll see...

1860 Munich: Barely survived being relegated from the 2. Bundesliga to the 3. Liga last year, winning a final day playoff in stoppage time. But so far they've returned to near the bottom of the table, scoring only three times in eight winless matches (0-4-4). I'd hoped for promotion now that the 1. Bundesliga is on Fox, but that seems far, far away.

Dagenham and Redbridge: Struggling, at 1-3-4. 23rd in the table in League 2. Truthfully I don't know a whole lot about the side, as it's pretty hard to closely follow a 4th-division English team from the States. But I did wear my Dag and Red jersey to jersey day at work last Friday.

Kilmarnock: Ok, so I'm only a Kilmarnock fan because I picked to play with them on, like, FIFA 96 back in the day. They're 2-2-4 in a Scottish League that might not even be on par with MLS. Their best player seems to be a guy with the awesome name Kallum Higginbotham.

Unterhaching: Isn't Unterhaching everyone's favorite Regionalliga Bayern side? The only soccer team with a bobsled in their logo? All I know is I had a good time watching them play Werder Bremen's reserve squad at the Generali Sportpark in 2011. But that may have been because we'd just come from an awesome brunch at the Ayinger brewery. What about the team, you say? They're 4-3-3 and are still holding out hope at a run to promotion back to the 3. Liga.

There you go!! What sides do you follow, and how have they begun the season?

I pull for Fulham. I decided prior to the 2013-2014 season that I needed to pick an EPL team to root for. I read a Joe Posnanski article that highlighted all of the teams in an effort to help you select a team if you hadn't. Based 100% on that 5 minutes of reading, I selected Fulham.

They had a terrible season and were relegated, continuing my long tradition of rooting for losers (Sega, WCW wresting, the Orioles for the majority of my adult life).

But, I am nothing if not a loyal fan. So every Saturday and during the week I check out the team website and see how they did. Maybe if they can work their way back to promotion I'll even get to see a match live.

• Upvote 1

I pull for Fulham. I decided prior to the 2013-2014 season that I needed to pick an EPL team to root for. I read a Joe Posnanski article that highlighted all of the teams in an effort to help you select a team if you hadn't. Based 100% on that 5 minutes of reading, I selected Fulham.

They had a terrible season and were relegated, continuing my long tradition of rooting for losers (Sega, WCW wresting, the Orioles for the majority of my adult life).

But, I am nothing if not a loyal fan. So every Saturday and during the week I check out the team website and see how they did. Maybe if they can work their way back to promotion I'll even get to see a match live.

I picked 1860 Munich based on the fact that I liked their jersey when I was shopping in a sporting good store in Berlin in 2000. They got relegated to the 2. Bundesliga in 2004 and haven't been particularly close to promotion since. But I still follow them, and went to Munich with some buddies in 2011 mainly to go see them play at the Allianz.

1860 drew with Arminia Bielefeld 1-1 on Friday, extending their winless streak to 10 games to start the year. They're averaging a robust 0.7 goals/game, and now sit 17th in the 18-team 2. Bundesliga. So much for promotion and ever again appearing on US TV!

I picked 1860 Munich based on the fact that I liked their jersey when I was shopping in a sporting good store in Berlin in 2000. They got relegated to the 2. Bundesliga in 2004 and haven't been particularly close to promotion since. But I still follow them, and went to Munich with some buddies in 2011 mainly to go see them play at the Allianz.

Didn't JTrea pick the Orioles because he liked their hat in the store? We all have goofy reasons for liking teams sometimes. I've always said that if I went to England I'd like to catch a soccer match, well now I actually have a reason to watch a game if I get a chance.

Things looking pretty rosy for your Spuds Drungo, advanced statistics have them as the 3rd best team in the prem right now: http://statsbomb.com/2015/10/is-the-middle-class-rising-in-the-premier-league/ , http://cartilagefreecaptain.sbnation.com/2014/2/12/5404348/english-premier-league-shot-statistics

Still will be disappointed if we don't beat them at home in a week and a half's time. Need some payback for that Flamini-made-mess in the same fixture last season.

Things looking pretty rosy for your Spuds Drungo, advanced statistics have them as the 3rd best team in the prem right now: http://statsbomb.com/2015/10/is-the-middle-class-rising-in-the-premier-league/ , http://cartilagefreecaptain.sbnation.com/2014/2/12/5404348/english-premier-league-shot-statistics

Still will be disappointed if we don't beat them at home in a week and a half's time. Need some payback for that Flamini-made-mess in the same fixture last season.

I occasionally look at the advanced stats, and I regularly follow cartilagefreecaptain. But it's kind of weird, I'm not a huge analysis guy when it comes to soccer. I get into soccer in a very different way than baseball. I see soccer as a much more... how do I explain this... emotional isn't quite the right word. It's like I see soccer as this big, flowing, almost artistic thing where you have 11 guys interacting on some kind of subconscious level to form a whole that just works, or just doesn't work. It's the polar opposite of baseball's discrete matchups. I'm quite glad that Spurs are third in expected goals or whatever, but I don't have this expectation that they're going to be in the Champions League because of it. I'm just enjoying Eriksen and Kane and Lamela and Hugo and watching good soccer. The Bournemouth match was a lot of fun, hopefully Harry is over his sophomore slump.

Didn't JTrea pick the Orioles because he liked their hat in the store? We all have goofy reasons for liking teams sometimes. I've always said that if I went to England I'd like to catch a soccer match, well now I actually have a reason to watch a game if I get a chance.

Oh... my. I'm going to file that away under "I have a right to pick European teams to root for because they're all thousands of miles away and nothing like local baseball teams." I guess it shouldn't bother me that some former poster of half-mad stuff here has something in common with me.

1860 drew with Arminia Bielefeld 1-1 on Friday, extending their winless streak to 10 games to start the year. They're averaging a robust 0.7 goals/game, and now sit 17th in the 18-team 2. Bundesliga. So much for promotion and ever again appearing on US TV!

Oh, and my Lions are continuing to crash towards the 3. Liga. 17th in the table, winless on 12 matches, with only seven goals to their credit in almost three months. It's a debacle! It'll be something to have a team in the 3. Liga playing in the 60,000-seat Allianz Arena. It looks like about half the 3. Liga averages under 5,000 fans/game, and there are three reserve squads in the league. I guess it'll be a little like the couple of years the Baysox played at Memorial Stadium in the early 90s.

I occasionally look at the advanced stats, and I regularly follow cartilagefreecaptain. But it's kind of weird, I'm not a huge analysis guy when it comes to soccer. I get into soccer in a very different way than baseball. I see soccer as a much more... how do I explain this... emotional isn't quite the right word. It's like I see soccer as this big, flowing, almost artistic thing where you have 11 guys interacting on some kind of subconscious level to form a whole that just works, or just doesn't work. It's the polar opposite of baseball's discrete matchups. I'm quite glad that Spurs are third in expected goals or whatever, but I don't have this expectation that they're going to be in the Champions League because of it. I'm just enjoying Eriksen and Kane and Lamela and Hugo and watching good soccer. The Bournemouth match was a lot of fun, hopefully Harry is over his sophomore slump.

I agree. Soccer is nothing like baseball and it's a complex, dynamic interaction between 22 players at once, so I think the more interesting forays into advanced statistics are more complex systems like Shapley values (http://qz.com/197901/the-worlds-most-popular-sport-is-terrible-at-statistics/ , there's also the Possession With Progression index which apparently is the most accurate/predictive index so far http://www.7amkickoff.com/2015/the-m...-with-purpose/

http://possessionwithpurpose.com/201...inue-to-march/), but the systems will need to get much more complex to be anything more than kind of hints in a very noisy landscape that current 'advanced' statistics are. But I'm a firm believer that statistics/moneyball need to continue to be pioneered in the sport. I can't accept a world where we have no decent objective quantification of Andres Iniesta's value or to a lesser extent my man Jack Wilshere.

Aside from that, for selfish reasons, I need advanced statistics in soccer because it's a kind of crossroads between baseball and soccer for me, and living on a continent/in a country where baseball is about as common as curling in the U.S., having basically not played baseball in my life and soccer all of it, I need all the reasons I can get (thank god for the fact that the average level of discussion on this forum is about 10x higher than the average level of discussion with soccer). Plus it's fun to try and haphazardly apply concepts like WAR to football in discussion of it and watch as the people you're discussing it with look at you like you're some kind of pedantic extraterrestrial.

Plus it's fun to try and haphazardly apply concepts like WAR to football in discussion of it and watch as the people you're discussing it with look at you like you're some kind of pedantic extraterrestrial.

Go to Camden Yards, pick a random fan, start talking about WAR. They'll look at you as though you have a dozen snakes actually protruding from your skull.

Go to Camden Yards, pick a random fan, start talking about WAR. They'll look at you as though you have a dozen snakes actually protruding from your skull.

And what happens if you ask how many pts/WAR Son Heung-min will be worth to Spurs this season? Maybe you should try it. ;)

edit: Spuds chances of getting something out of the derby in a bit over a week's time just increased immensely, Walcott and Chamberlain will be out, which means that Arsenal will be starting one of the eminent talents of Joel Campbell or Mathieu Flamini for the next three games in 7 days at Swansea, at Bayern, and then the NLD, and that's if no one else gets injured in those first two games. Absolutely absurd. :laughlol:

Edited by Flash- bd

edit: Spuds chances of getting something out of the derby in a bit over a week's time just increased immensely, Walcott and Chamberlain will be out, which means that Arsenal will be starting one of the eminent talents of Joel Campbell or Mathieu Flamini for the next three games in 7 days at Swansea, at Bayern, and then the NLD, and that's if no one else gets injured in those first two games. Absolutely absurd. :laughlol:

That's tragic. Just terrible, really. :) I did see the results of the Sheffield Wednesday match on my phone, and the descriptions of each goal were priceless. "EUPHORIA AT HILLSBOROUGH!" "SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY IN DREAMLAND! Incredible scenes at Hillsborough at it's Owls two, Gunners nil." "ABSOLUTE SCENES AT HILLSBOROUGH! They will be pinching themselves!"