DrungoHazewood

2015-16 Real Football Thread

That's simply not true.

Super Bowl XLIX TV viewers: 114 million

2014 Champions League Final TV viewers: 380 million

Even more, the Barclay's Premier League was watched by 4.7 billion viewers in the most recent year for which I could find a figure (2011). It's surely more than that now.

I know that, but the UEFA tournament is the only one that matters globally. If you're looking at a list of the best clubs in the world, you'll be looking for a little while before you find a non-European side listed.

Boca Juniors, Sao Paulo, and Al Ahly SC.

It's the biggest prize in club football and it's not even close. Europe is where the elite soccer is played, and the Champions League is the elite tournament.

Wages are a pretty good proxy for league quality. Brazil's Serie A is 7th in the world in average payroll, and that's top for any non-European team. Brazil's top league is just a bit ahead of the English Championship (i.e. 2nd tier) in average wages, roughly 1/5th of the EPL. MLS is on par with Columbia and Greece around 20th.

This is two-year-old data, but probably not completely stale. I'm sure the rankings are largely similar to today. CONMEBOL or CONCACAF champions leagues clearly aren't on par with UEFA's. Not that they aren't fun or exciting or whatever - one of the joys of world soccer is watching a good, quality game with an excited fanbase contested by the 187th and 223rd-best teams in the world.

The World Cup is a tournament with I'm assuming dozens of games, and I'm sure the viewing numbers were cumulative across all of them. The Super Bowl and Champions League Finals were one game. What were the viewing numbers for the ICC Final? No I didn't RTFA.

And this is why I hate living in America sometimes.

The fun thing about 'Merica is that we have an entire Hangout sub-forum dedicated to a sport that 80% of the posters here seem to delight in mocking. We can post thousands of posts a day about soccer with the blessing of weams and Tony.

The fun thing about 'Merica is that we have an entire Hangout sub-forum dedicated to a sport that 80% of the posters here seem to delight in mocking. We can post thousands of posts a day about soccer with the blessing of weams and Tony.

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2016/02/an_interview_with_sepp_blatter_or_perhaps_with_a_nigerian_419_scammer_posing.html

Honestly as a person of Swiss ancestry, I am truly embarrassed by Sepp Blatter. Who the hell recommends the Renaissance in Zurich? Hotel Leoneck on Leonhardstrasse has a college bar scene, walking distance of train station and it's literally a hotel with a cow motif (as Christmas 2015 when I was last in Zurich). :thumbsup1:

Oh, bother. Bloody 'ell. That was billed as the Most Important North London Derby ever, which I suppose it might actually have been. The game was alternately depressing, wonderful, ecstatic, and then oh crap. For a moment after Kane's wonderful, brilliant goal I could taste the title. It became a real thing, it was there, floating in space in front of me in the living room. And then just as quickly it was gone.

I guess it's not over just yet, they could still catch Leicester. It's just that Leicester gets to hang out eating home cooking and doing whatever all week, whilst Spurs gets to play Dortmund and the craziest fans in Germany. Bloody 'ell.

Oh, bother. Bloody 'ell. That was billed as the Most Important North London Derby ever, which I suppose it might actually have been. The game was alternately depressing, wonderful, ecstatic, and then oh crap. For a moment after Kane's wonderful, brilliant goal I could taste the title. It became a real thing, it was there, floating in space in front of me in the living room. And then just as quickly it was gone.

I guess it's not over just yet, they could still catch Leicester. It's just that Leicester gets to hang out eating home cooking and doing whatever all week, whilst Spurs gets to play Dortmund and the craziest fans in Germany. Bloody 'ell.

LC...5 points clear with 9 matches remaining. I understand your frustration with Spurs (as I also understand the frustration of Arsenal fans) in that whatever forces are at work this year left the Prem open for most of the big teams to just walk away with the title; although not doing so somewhat proves that money doesn't buy you everything.

LC certainly has taken advantage of being bloody awful last year and therefore not having to play 'meaningless' Europa championship games all season long (usually on Thursdays which can be damn tiring when you have to play again on Saturday).

Anyway, I have long waited for a team to come out of nowhere and have a magical season - this just might be it. Also would say that this type of team winning the title has no comparison with the 4 major leagues in the US (and Canada) as the money differential in the Prem has been staggeringly weighted in favor of the big six (until next year when everyone make a boatload).

Anyway, I have long waited for a team to come out of nowhere and have a magical season - this just might be it. Also would say that this type of team winning the title has no comparison with the 4 major leagues in the US (and Canada) as the money differential in the Prem has been staggeringly weighted in favor of the big six (until next year when everyone make a boatload).

Yep, no comparison. Leicester was promoted, what, three years ago? This would be like a 2nd or 3rd-year expansion team with a $40M payroll winning the AL East with 97 wins. The payroll delta between the Yanks and Rays is quite a bit smaller than Man U/Chelsea and Leicester.

Yep, no comparison. Leicester was promoted, what, three years ago? This would be like a 2nd or 3rd-year expansion team with a $40M payroll winning the AL East with 97 wins. The payroll delta between the Yanks and Rays is quite a bit smaller than Man U/Chelsea and Leicester.

Promoted after the 2014 season - this is their 2nd year in the PL. Just escaped relegation last year.

Rafa on as Newcastle United manager. Happy about this, he can only move the team up at this point...

If only they brought him in earlier like everyone wanted to. I fear it is too little too late, but we have gotten glimpses of the team we have wanted to see all season, and that team would have no problems getting top half of the table (or at least midtable). I put our current chances of staying up at 15-20% and had that Aguero offside goal been correctly ruled and we won that 1-0, I would double that, but that is the trouble when you leave it so late. Still think we can do it, but smart money is definitely on the Mackems at this point.

Welp. Congratulations to Leicester for pulling off one of the great miracle seasons in team sports history. Just wish it hadn't been at the expense of one the best Tottenham seasons in many years.

Welp. Congratulations to Leicester for pulling off one of the great miracle seasons in team sports history. Just wish it hadn't been at the expense of one the best Tottenham seasons in many years.

Simply amazing, the World seems to have stopped over here, Twitter and Facebook are creaking with the chatter ...