DrungoHazewood

2015-16 Real Football Thread

It wasn't a closed shop due to financial investment back then, as you say. But lets not think back then it was a free-for-all without dominant sides.

Between 1972 and 1992, Liverpool finished in the top 2, 17 out of 20 years - winning it 50% of the time (10 times).

Forest not only knocked them off their perch in the top tier league, but also knocked them out of Europe. The subsequent back-to-back European cups also a feat that only a handful have achieved. All this from a position of being promoted from the 2nd tier league.

Look, I'm open about being bitter and biased and I am walking around the office today grumbling about anyone who looks remotely 'happy' but I don't begrudge another team kudos for their achievements. But I do get annoyed when it is talked about as the 'greatest sporting achievement' as it clearly isn't. Or at least, they have a long way to go to reach that.

I can understand your annoyance with those saying that this was the G.O.A.T achievement in the sporting world; maybe it is, maybe it isn't. It's a matter of opinion. I will never take anything away from NFs achievement because it is utterly fantastic and could not be replicated today (my opinion) so I just call it two great accomplishments that occurred during two vastly different eras.

I think that what has driven most of the GOAT storyline in the US is that for most people the accomplishments in the present of teams/players is given far greater value/weight than what happened in the past - just look at the GOAT lists in almost any sport for athletes and it will always be heavily skewed toward the present day.

I can understand your annoyance with those saying that this was the G.O.A.T achievement in the sporting world; maybe it is, maybe it isn't. It's a matter of opinion. I will never take anything away from NFs achievement because it is utterly fantastic and could not be replicated today (my opinion) so I just call it two great accomplishments that occurred during two vastly different eras.

I think that what has driven most of the GOAT storyline in the US is that for most people the accomplishments in the present of teams/players is given far greater value/weight than what happened in the past - just look at the GOAT lists in almost any sport for athletes and it will always be heavily skewed toward the present day.

The ESPN effect. There were, like, three important things prior to 1979.

It's' a fair observation

Clearly association football didn't exist until 1992 and the formation of the PL

Prior to that, it was just odd blokes with top hats and wax moustaches kicking around a pigs bladder

:)

It's' a fair observation

Clearly association football didn't exist until 1992 and the formation of the PL

Prior to that, it was just odd blokes with top hats and wax moustaches kicking around a pigs bladder

:)

Clearly facetious, but isn't it true that some basic rules like substitutions and offsides and cards didn't reach their modern forms until the 1950s or later?

Baseball prides itself, maybe too much, in having very, very few major rule changes since 1904.

Clearly facetious, but isn't it true that some basic rules like substitutions and offsides and cards didn't reach their modern forms until the 1950s or later?

Baseball prides itself, maybe too much, in having very, very few major rule changes since 1904.

I don't think there have been many major rule changes. Offsides have been part of the game since the 1800's in once form or another, with occasional experimentation to increase goal-scoring or tighten things up, the use of cards is fairly recent (70s) and rules around substitutions also - the '3 replacements allowed during a game' rule came in 1995, although had been used in a more restrictive manner before then.

I'm not sure if these things are really any more fundamental than changing the size of the strike zone, or timing visits to the mound etc that baseball keep tweaking.

I think there should be more sweeping changes to football, including a form of video appeal system, which doesn't currently exist. Any suggestion of this ends up generating huge debates, largely centered around it spoiling the purity of the game by removing the random-decision-generator that referee's often act as.

I don't think there have been many major rule changes. Offsides have been part of the game since the 1800's in once form or another, with occasional experimentation to increase goal-scoring or tighten things up, the use of cards is fairly recent (70s) and rules around substitutions also - the '3 replacements allowed during a game' rule came in 1995, although had been used in a more restrictive manner before then.

I'm not sure if these things are really any more fundamental than changing the size of the strike zone, or timing visits to the mound etc that baseball keep tweaking.

I think there should be more sweeping changes to football, including a form of video appeal system, which doesn't currently exist. Any suggestion of this ends up generating huge debates, largely centered around it spoiling the purity of the game by removing the random-decision-generator that referee's often act as.

Thw purity of random number generator refs is crap. But I don't see how you integrate replay into a sport that doesn't stop. And not stopping is a key, one of the defining traits of soccer/football.

At the moment on ESPNFC site the photo has the following banner (don't know how long it will be up)

http://www.espnfc.us

ESPN FC TV has Real Madrid vs. Tottenham highlights and reaction (6 p.m. ET, ESPNEWS and WatchESPN)

Drungo...dreams of the future??

Edited by Plutarch

At the moment on ESPNFC site the photo has the following banner (don't know how long it will be up)

http://www.espnfc.us

ESPN FC TV has Real Madrid vs. Tottenham highlights and reaction (6 p.m. ET, ESPNEWS and WatchESPN)

Drungo...dreams of the future??

Ha, yea, that's good. I do have a hard time thinking of Tottenham in the top tier, but we'll get to see some Champions League in the fall.

Really hard time thinking of Spurs as a top side after a match like Southampton. Way to roll over and play dead at home with the chance to finish ahead of Arsenal for the first time in 21 years on the line. Very, very disappointing.

Bit of an emotional letdown after probably seeing LC celebrate the title yesterday. Also Alli missing didn't help. Wouldn't worry about the future...very good young manager and and young team. I would think another top four for them next year. BTW Southampton is no pushover (that would be Villa :) ) as they are top 7 or 8 in the table

Edited by Plutarch

Thought BarnFather would appreciate this:

Ranieri told La Gazzetta dello Sport: "People always try to look for something exceptional in sport but I think that, 30-40 years ago, Nottingham Forest did something even greater than what we have done.

"They got promoted from the second division, then they won the First Division title and then won the European Cup twice, so let's just wait a few more years."

I wouldn't have thought it possible, but Spurs managed to turn a top-four finish and a Champions League berth into a bitter-tasting collapse of a nightmare. Exceptionally disappointing finale.

Spurs were terrible today; giving up 3 goals (albeit the first one on a phantom penalty) while playing with a man advantage is not the sign of a team that cared today. In the post game the manager looked shell-shocked by his teams lack of effort (or lack of competence, take your pick). Not really the way to build confidence gaining into next year.

Anyone been watching Euro2016?

As a Welshman, I am really stoked at Wales getting to the semi-finals to play Portugal. The last time we were in a major tournament was 1958, and since then we have had to sit at home and grit our teeth when England (usually) qualify.

We are free-rolling now really as didn't expect to get this far, but hoping we continue our good form/luck on Wednesday evening

Anyone been watching Euro2016?

As a Welshman, I am really stoked at Wales getting to the semi-finals to play Portugal. The last time we were in a major tournament was 1958, and since then we have had to sit at home and grit our teeth when England (usually) qualify.

We are free-rolling now really as didn't expect to get this far, but hoping we continue our good form/luck on Wednesday evening

Yes, I have been, although I was on vacation mostly cut off from the outside world for about 10 days. Before that I was concurrently following the Copa America and Euro 2016. Both have had some exciting, well-played matches and a fair share of upsets. That there's still the possibility of a Wales-Iceland final, however unlikely, is pretty incredible.

Do you consider yourself a Brit first and a Welshman second? Or the other way around, or is it more complicated? My American frame of reference has me thinking of Wales as like a US State, but I have a feeling there's no direct parallel here.