RZNJ

Two LHP under the radar FA - No compensation

Rich Hill and J.A. Happ.

Rich Hill just came off of the scrap heap and has had a nice September for the Red Sox. Lights out in 4 starts. The Red Sox aren't about to make a qualifying offer to a 34 year old pitcher with a poor history and such a SSS. At the same time, this could be a lightening in a bottle short term gamble. I have no idea if anyone offers Hill any kind of money but the O's should be in on him.

J.A. Happ. At 32, Happ has had an undistinguished career. However, he is LH and his career FIP of 4.21 isn't much different than Wei Yin Chen's 4.14. Happ should come a lot cheaper and does not require compensation as he was trade mid season, not to mention he won't be getting a QO anyway.

• Upvote 1

Rich Hill and J.A. Happ.

Rich Hill just came off of the scrap heap and has had a nice September for the Red Sox. Lights out in 4 starts. The Red Sox aren't about to make a qualifying offer to a 34 year old pitcher with a poor history and such a SSS. At the same time, this could be a lightening in a bottle short term gamble. I have no idea if anyone offers Hill any kind of money but the O's should be in on him.

J.A. Happ. At 32, Happ has had an undistinguished career. However, he is LH and his career FIP of 4.21 isn't much different than Wei Yin Chen's 4.14. Happ should come a lot cheaper and does not require compensation as he was trade mid season, not to mention he won't be getting a QO anyway.

I'd sign them both.

Rich Hill and J.A. Happ.

Good thoughts. I like the Happ idea, though may be tough to swallow for some folks if that's our only move to improve the rotation. Better than I expected ground ball/fly ball ratio, too (1.37). Seems like a decent backend option if we really want to secure a lefty.

Hill is an interesting flyer, but would be real tough to hope to count on him for anything.

Hill is an interesting flyer, but would be real tough to hope to count on him for anything.

How much does a guy who was pitching independent ball command? I would think Hill would cheap enough that you could DFA if he were not effective. He has also shown some ability to be a loogy. So just give him the Matusz money.

How much does a guy who was pitching independent ball command? I would think Hill would cheap enough that you could DFA if he were not effective. He has also shown some ability to be a loogy. So just give him the Matusz money.

Sure, not against throwing him a little (real little) coin. Just would be shocked to see his success translate into next year.

You mean former Oriole Rich Hill, who had a 3-3 record, 1.87 WHIP and 7.80 ERA for us in 2009?

I think we've been there, done that. Sure his last few starts were a surprise, but he came from independent ball. Because no major league team wanted him. Just sayin'

You mean former Oriole Rich Hill, who had a 3-3 record, 1.87 WHIP and 7.80 ERA for us in 2009?

I think we've been there, done that. Sure his last few starts were a surprise, but he came from independent ball. Because no major league team wanted him. Just sayin'

He's also completely changed his delivery and no longer resembles the player he was with the O's.

Is there any reason why the Red Sox would not make an effort to bring him back?

I'm sure they will. 4 starts, 29 IP, 5 walks, and 36 strikeouts are intriguing for a guy making 550K this year and who could come cheaply next year. Any smart team would have interest depending on the contract.

Well, if we are going to go back to 2009, how about 2007 with the Cubs when he pitched 195 innings with 183 strikeouts and had a 3.4 WAR?

I can look up quite a few guys who played independent ball and then had some ML success. I'd rather not I could. Miguel Gonzales played in the Mexican League in 2011 and 2012 and although it's not independent ball, technically, it's about the same thing.

Edited by RZNJ

Just because they are cheap does not mean they are not beautiful.

He's also completely changed his delivery and no longer resembles the player he was with the O's.

Oh, and he was healthy for a change. Like Andrew Miller, another lefthander, was.

Hill isn't a loogy. Hill bounced out of the majors because he couldn't do it in the pen. But $3m for a guy who is like to be dfa?

Hill is no longer under the radar, IMO -- getting media attention for his independent league-back-to-MLB story. Someone, maybe the RS, will throw some money at him for a couple of years.

I've never thought highly of Happ, so he probably could help.

I'm still hopeful about Chen. Lots of teams could use a reliable lefty starter, but nobody needs one more than the Orioles.