Sign in to follow this  
Aglets

Attempting to read some Duquette tea leaves, Britton to Rotation?

The fans are not shocked at quiet off-seasons, which is DD's MO and how he operates.

They are upset that DD isn't going after the big names, the Albert Belles and the Glenn Davis of the world.

They are the fans, not old enough to live those type of failures.

They play fantasy baseball and want to run the Orioles like a fantasy team.

As I recall, Angelos was the one who was pushing for the Albert Belle acquisition.

As for whether younger fans want to run the O's like a fantasy team (I haven't seen nor heard any evidence of this at OPACY), whatever fans want, we are the ones who pay the money and buy the tickets. Management needs to at least listen to fans.

You mean like we've had for the last 4 years?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes. We went 14 years without any sorts of competitive teams. Now we've gone 4 years of having real, competitive teams. Most fans that I know don't expect them to win each and every year, we just want teams that compete.

1. You didn't answer the question. How high should the prices be raised?

2. For the past four years the Orioles have put a competitive team on the field AND maintained pricing that allows fans to attend. I don't believe DD said it was an either/or situation, but that balance needs to be achieved. That's the same balance they work to achieve every year. His remarks did not mean (to me) that anything had changed or that the team would work less hard at being competitive.

Ticket prices shouldn't be increased at all unless there is solid evidence that a competitive team is being fielded. And I truly don't believe that the ticket prices need to be raised at all, even in this case.

I also agree that it's not an either/or situation. A balance needs to be achieved, spending, if done (especially heavy spending) needs to be smart spending. During the 2015 off-season, it's pretty clear that the balance wasn't achieved. Three excellent players were allowed to walk without adequately replacing them. Of all the players that were signed, just about all of them were released/DFA'd with the Orioles having to eat up at least part of their salaries.

Ticket prices shouldn't be increased at all unless there is solid evidence that a competitive team is being fielded. And I truly don't believe that the ticket prices need to be raised at all, even in this case.

I also agree that it's not an either/or situation. A balance needs to be achieved, spending, if done (especially heavy spending) needs to be smart spending. During the 2015 off-season, it's pretty clear that the balance wasn't achieved. Three excellent players were allowed to walk without adequately replacing them. Of all the players that were signed, just about all of them were released/DFA'd with the Orioles having to eat up at least part of their salaries.

So we should fire the GM since he failed so miserably last year? What's your point, you are tedious.

So we should fire the GM since he failed so miserably last year? What's your point, you are tedious.
Where did I say that we should fire the GM? You really make extreme, inaccurate assumptions. How obdurate of you.

As I recall, Angelos was the one who was pushing for the Albert Belle acquisition.

As for whether younger fans want to run the O's like a fantasy team (I haven't seen nor heard any evidence of this at OPACY), whatever fans want, we are the ones who pay the money and buy the tickets. Management needs to at least listen to fans.

No they don't ...do you think the Ravens listen to the fans?

Tea leaves, roll the chicken bones, mojo hand, divination. DD is above it all. Follows no patterns. Bobs and weaves. Shucks and jives. Does this.

[video=youtube;U_TUrYZewD0]

What you believe about ticket prices doesn't matter. It's not your club.

It was pretty clear to me that when Duquette spoke of family entertainment, he was talking about keeping payroll to a level that allowed the team to charge fan-friendly prices. You seem to want to believe that he meant something else, as if the club was deciding whether or not they should be competitive or another version of a Disney attraction. Now, you agree that there needs to be a balance, which is what Duquette said in the first place, but you want to tie prices to winning, so that fans have to pay more for a winner and get to pay less for a loser. Really? It doesn't, and shouldn't, work that way.

It's a business. It needs to make money or it can't stay in business. It is not the obligation of the Angelos family to bleed themselves financially so you can root for a winner. To believe so is nonsensical. You might believe that they should raise ticket prices to what the traffic will bear in order to be able to pay for the team you want. That is another approach (unless, of course, they are already at that level).

What team succeeds every year? What team is in the playoffs each and every year? On paper, the O's team that took the field this season was a competitive team. Had the starting pitchers performed up to their career averages, they would have gone to the playoffs. They did not. You seem to interpret that as meaning the FO did not try.

You remain blind to the fact that team payroll reached a new high for the O's -- more than $30 million above what it was during the 2012 season and $50 million more than it had been during the MacPhail years -- so that the bulk of the team, many of whom received arbitration-related increases, could be kept together. Some fans would have preferred a different approach. I, for example, wanted them to trade Davis. They didn't do that, and I'm glad. You didn't get your piece of candy and you are upset. My guess is you would be twice as upset if they'd signed Cruz and he'd been a bust.

Some fans complain about DD's overall approach to team building, and some make their case quite well. I respect that. But you protest simply because you didn't get the winner you wanted. In order to not sound like a whining child, you accuse the general manager of not making the effort to field the best team possible.

Some fans fail to see that in the years that we made the playoffs, Duquette worked like a magician to bring in players no one had ever heard of or who had fallen to the bottom of the barrel, and the contributions of these players -- the likes of Nate McClouth, Miguel Gonzalez, Steve Pearce, Delmon Young, Brad Brach, and more -- supported the core of the team and carried the team to the top. This year, there was no magic. The moves didn't work. And, adding insult to injury, De Aza gets jettisoned from the O's and does well with the Red Sox. Wesley Wright gets cut and is okay elsewhere. Things happen.

My guess is that if the O's were in the playoffs right now, you would be happy as a clam. There would be no tirades insisting that they do everything possible to compete or concerns about them caring more about family entertainment than putting a competing team on the field. Of course, as soon as they were bumped from the playoffs, you would be the first to complain that they didn't do enough to go all the way.

You seem like a nice enough person, and I hope you are able to come to terms with your Orioles fandom without blowing a gasket or subjecting the rest of us to a continuing stream of fact-free negative posts in every thread on the board. It seems like there are two ways this can happen.

1. The Orioles make all the deals you want them to make and they all work out perfectly so that we go deep into the playoffs every year

2. You stop being angry about things that don't work out

I switched over to #2 years ago, and highly recommend it.

I don't think a ticket price increase is the answer especially in a year where attendance has fallen 7%.

Any idea if this 7% attendance drop includes the three lost home games from the relocated weekend Rays series? If so, we're only looking at about a 3% drop.

Management needs to field competitive teams as often as they can. But you can't run the team like a Bill Veeck sideshow.

veeck-1-articleLarge.jpg

The Browns won that game, you against winning games Drungo? :P

The Orioles are the St Louis Browns. Continue the tradition.

During the winter meetings Duquette just posts a poll here for every decision, and the OH decides all the transactions! No complaints anymore! Well, actually, it wouldn't be any different. A vocal minority would then talk about how stupid Duquette was for listening to equally stupid fans who can't see obvious facts about what needs to be done to stop the incessant losing.

During the winter meetings Duquette just posts a poll here for every decision, and the OH decides all the transactions! No complaints anymore! Well, actually, it wouldn't be any different. A vocal minority would then talk about how stupid Duquette was for listening to equally stupid fans who can't see obvious facts about what needs to be done to stop the incessant losing.

Good one!

:beerchug1:

Given some of the moves DD has made it might be an improvement. Of course I'm sure there would still be the vocal minority who shill his every move.