Sign in to follow this  
PressBoxOnline

Stan 'The Fan' Charles' Three Priorities For The Baltimore Orioles' Offseason

My cynical side really likes that the "three priorities" identified by the story actually relate to the overarching composition (not to mention budget limitations) of the entire team.

Priority #3: be better at pitching. Gotcha.

Doubt the O's can afford 6/150M let alone more. Davis didn't have a TUE in 2013. Forget Matusz to the rotation. Like the idea of Jasso.

Fister likely wouldn't come cheap, but a two-year deal in the range of $17-19 million could entice him enough to come to Baltimore, especially after dealing with injuries and a demotion to the bullpen in 2015.
J.A. Happ is another pending free-agent left-hander who might make sense for the Orioles and be attainable for a three-year deal at around $30 million.

These are the kind of signings the Orioles have to avoid. They don't help the team win many more games, if any, and suck money out of the budget. Instead of paying two mediocre/injured pitchers $10 mil, they should pay a good pitcher $18 mil and sign a risk for $2 mil or promote a young guy.

I feel reasonably confident when I say that Davis did not have a TUE in 2013.

He did not even try. But, he may have been using and caught 0 or 1 times.

These are the kind of signings the Orioles have to avoid. They don't help the team win many more games, if any, and suck money out of the budget. Instead of paying two mediocre/injured pitchers $10 mil, they should pay a good pitcher $18 mil and sign a risk for $2 mil or promote a young guy.

Couldn't agree more and I think those estimates on Fister and Happ are high. Fister is coming off a really poor season where he didn't even finish the year in the Nats rotation and will need to prove himself. 1/6 or 2/10 sounds more reasonable, but he may not get that. Happ is a career fifth starter coming off of a career year where he was far from dominant and he is going to be 33.

Pitching, especially # 3 to # 5 level starters, is in an abundant supply. Spend big on a # 1 or # 2 and bring some guys in you can buy low on for a couple mil.

Couldn't agree more and I think those estimates on Fister and Happ are high. Fister is coming off a really poor season where he didn't even finish the year in the Nats rotation and will need to prove himself. 1/6 or 2/10 sounds more reasonable, but he may not get that. Happ is a career fifth starter coming off of a career year where he was far from dominant and he is going to be 33.

Pitching, especially # 3 to # 5 level starters, is in an abundant supply. Spend big on a # 1 or # 2 and bring some guys in you can buy low on for a couple mil.

Fister is awful. Not interested in him myself. Big Red Flags. Want Bud Norris back? Sign Doug Fister.

Add half a run in ERA to all pitchers migrating back from the NL.

Fister is awful. Not interested in him myself. Big Red Flags. Want Bud Norris back? Sign Doug Fister.

Pretty sure I was advocating not going after guys like Fister/Happ at their projected cost, but okay. With that said, there is nothing wrong with bringing in guys like Doug Fister at one year/2 or 3 million to compete as a possible fifth starter.

We need two starters IMO. So bring in one premium starter and one or two cheap guys for depth.

As much as many of us would like to, resigning Chris Davis is NOT going to happen. Keith Law confirmed in a periscope chat two days ago when I asked him - he said he heard from a reliable source that the chance was "0%". It's a bummer, but hearing it from him was enough to make me wake up and stop dreaming.

I favor Gonzo returning to his 2012-14 form. O's sign O'Day to close and moving Britton to the rotation.

Apparently Palmer likes the idea of Britton in the rotation and Duquette thinks its interesting and he has done it before with Derek Lowe. Here is what Dan had to say about it:

7:57 into the recording:

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2015/10/09/the-norris-davis-best-of-week-of-october-10th/

Wilson, Wright, Gunkel and Miranda as backups.