Sports Guy

What direction should this team go in?

I will go even farther. Teams with great management will trade pieces, even when valuable, when the opportunity to improve the club presents itself. Even in contention trading a contributing guy should not be out of the question if there is a servicable replacement and the team gets a net increase in talent from the deal.

Right..In contention or not, we should still be able to trade Baez, Gibbons and a few guys like that...Guys we should be able to replace rather easily and still not miss a beat.

I've been up and down on this, but I like what I've seen from the team so far. I think we are missing a few key pieces on offense, and we need an SP but those things can be handled in the offseason.

Throw a lot of money at Adam Dunn (he is an FA after this season I believe) -- he can fill either the 1B or LF hole -- I think he is better suited defensively at 1B but I have no problem playing him in LF.

We probably can't afford Andruw Jones but a guy like Rowand could be servicable if we do not extend Patterson.

I would also love to make a big push for Zambrano if the Cubs do not extend him.

Finally, if we trade Ray, promote Hoey to closer in 2008 (or Baez to start if he's not ready).

Those are just ideas but if we can add one more decent starter (does not have to be as good as Zambrano) with Adam Dunn, we can compete next year.

Tejada will only be traded if you can get max value...a true ace AND a young hitter at least. He's a top 10 player in the major leagues.

Isn't this what we were offered for him last year?

Will he still be a top 10 player by the deadline this season?

Will we be able to get the same value which we were offered last season for him?

My opinion is that we're going to regret not moving him last season b/c we won't be able to get the same value for him when/if we try to later this season or in the offseason. This is especially the case if he does not remain among the top ten players.

I also worry about the fact that we didn't move Penn this offseason. Someone wrote that he may be snakebit. I don't know about that, but he has certainly had bad luck so far in terms of getting a solid shot in the majors. It might have been nice to get someone valuable for him while we were sure we could have.

The Reds have an option on him next year...If he is traded, the option is voided and he becomes a FA.

Man would I love to see that:

Roberts, Dunn, Markakis, Tejada, Huff, Mora, Hernandez, ?, ?.

That is a sick lineup up top. And with 4 viable outfileders and fear of not being able to resign Dunn the reds might be ready to deal. That being said I think it is more likely they try and unload Griffy.

It will be interesting to see what Dunn gets in FA.

I can honestly say i have no idea what he will get. I don't think he will get as much as people probably think but who knows.

I could see a team doing 5/70 or so -- depending on whether or not they focus on his high OBP or his high k-rate.

I could see a team doing 5/70 or so -- depending on whether or not they focus on his high OBP or his high k-rate.

Yea, i am thinking something like that as well.

I think alot of people would think he would get alot more.

I am not sure i would want Dunn or not.

I have no problem with trading Gibbons today IF we can get enough value for him. It would shock me to see him bring enough young talent in return to make the trade worthwhile long term. However, if he stays healthy and is producing well as the All Star Break gets close, it may be possible to fleece someone in pursuit of a title this year. I'm all for trying. I just don't think it is likely that a team will make a good enough offer.

Tejada is harder to trade IMHO, because he is our best hitter, still relatively likely to produce well through 2009, AND a huge bargain based on today's economics. I would still trade him if we got a good enough offer, but I don't think we would be the Santana/Aybar offer and I just don't think that is enough return for him.

To me, the most intriguing trade targets are Bedard, Loewen, Cabrera, Penn, Ray, and Olson. I don't want to trade any of them, but I think that smart teams trade from a position of strength/depth. Our depth is definitely young pitching. Most teams need are young pitching. From that standpoint, I would be willing any of these guys if they bring the right return.

For instance, I could see Erik Bedard bringing Carl Crawford in return. I would be very tempted to make that sort of trade. Losing Bedard would be terrible, but we SHOULD have enough arms behind him that we would come out ahead long term. Same with a Ray/Penn for Baldelli.

I think we need to continue to intelligently try to make deals that upgrade the team for the future, but I don't think it is likely to happen with the type of guys that most of us are advocating in trade.

Bedard is my fav. bird but you are right. At the time that everyone is coming into their own, Bedard will already be 30. As painful as it may be, he might be the best pitcher to trade. We would have Cabrera at 27, Loewen at 25 and Penn at 25. Along with Olson, hopefully Erbe or Beato making the roster in 2010, which is where we should be looking towards. We keep our fingers crossed that guys like Reimold, Rowell and Snyder make it by then and we are really doing big things.

Man would I love to see that:

Roberts, Dunn, Markakis, Tejada, Huff, Mora, Hernandez, ?, ?.

That is a sick lineup up top. And with 4 viable outfileders and fear of not being able to resign Dunn the reds might be ready to deal. That being said I think it is more likely they try and unload Griffy.

They owe Griffey too much money, no one would take him. My question is, if we are still in it at the deadline, would you risk trading for him to put you over the top, and hope that you could extend him? He won't require as much at the deadline in trade.

I am curious what you guys really think here.

How should the Orioles approach the future? Trade guys like Tejada, Gibbons, etc...or should we try and keep the team as intact as possible and go for a big name or 2 in the offseason?

Wait and see. If the Orioles play good ball in the first half, they will go for it, no matter what the BEST course of action is.

If the Orioles play 5 or more games below .500 I expect to see people like Tejada and Gibbons moved.