Sports Guy

What direction should this team go in?

A lot of debate so far about what the O's should do, and dreams of A-Rod, but let me interject with a framework to realistically consider roster shuffle.

The FO plan has always been build with young SP (and by build they do not mean trade). That only leaves 2 areas for potential changes next season and they both affect the OF situation:

1. CF (and by virtue of the answer to CF, the rest of the outfield falls as dominoes) - Patterson? Go with Markakis? Reimold? FA? Trade (seel below)? They already know that Payton cannot hold up for a full season, so he is not an option.

2. RP/closer - A lot of depth here, and the FO has at least considered dealing Ray in the past. And the move would probably be Ray (+package?) for an outfielder.

We should accept that both Huff and Gibbons are here, as demand would be low and the O's would need to eat contract. The outfield plan will dictate the rest of the roster. That is the area to focus on and where change is both needed and available for the FO to take advantage of. My judgement of Flanigan and Duquette this offseason will largely be centered on their OF construct.

They owe Griffey too much money, no one would take him. My question is, if we are still in it at the deadline, would you risk trading for him to put you over the top, and hope that you could extend him? He won't require as much at the deadline in trade.

That doesn't depend on Dunn, it depends on his agent. He might be perfectly happy accepting an extension. His agent might want him to test the market, especially after what I expect will be the FA market will be this offseason. Between Arod (likely, setting a market), Jones, Hunter, factor in Wells...OF talent may be very expensive in two years.

I do think though that any trade for Dunn would start with Ray or Penn, and am happy if does start with Ray. I think hes expendable.

Bedard is my fav. bird but you are right. At the time that everyone is coming into their own, Bedard will already be 30. As painful as it may be, he might be the best pitcher to trade. We would have Cabrera at 27, Loewen at 25 and Penn at 25. Along with Olson, hopefully Erbe or Beato making the roster in 2010, which is where we should be looking towards. We keep our fingers crossed that guys like Reimold, Rowell and Snyder make it by then and we are really doing big things.

I totally agree with this. IF, and this is a big if, we are going to deal, it only makes sense to trade guys at their peak value. And he (Bedard) is probably the one guy who would get the elite type young prospects that would help the team in the short & long-run. I don't mind trading off guys like Gibbons at less than peak value (just to dump his salary & roster spot) if you've got replacments ready (between Knott & Reimold next year, that may be the case. This totally parallels with the type of thing Billy Beane does every year & keeps his team young & relatively inexpensive.

Most of the other guys mentioned for trades - I'm really skeptical of whether we'd get similar talent back in trades that would make it worth trading them. Tejada especially. But I'd be open to doing it if the return was worth it.

Blow it up. Now. The plan in effect is not working.

Keep the young guys... Markakis, Loewen, Cabrera. Give Penn and Olson their shots in the rotation.

Keep Bedard to anchor the young staff.

Keep Hernandez to tutor and stabilize the young arms.

Dump all the thirtysomething blah hitters... Gibbons, Payton, Huff, Mora, Millar, etc. These guys are OK, not great, but more importantly, they will not be major contributors on the next O's contender. No sense in delaying the inevitable. Move on, and free up the salary they're eating up.

Trachsel and Wright are available, if anyone will give you anything for either guy.

I wouldn't be looking to break up the bullpen completely, but I'd listen to offers for any of the veteran guys (Bradford, Walker, Williamson), and I'd actively look to move one or the other of Baez or Ray... preferrably Ray, since he's got more value.

Personally, I wouldn't invest what it will take to keep CPat. Trade him or take the picks.

Roberts can stay, unless you get a nice offer for him, and/or have a nice young 2B coming back in a separate deal.

Finally, Tejada has to go, since he's the most valuable trade chip you've got, and the guy that can bring the most young talent to fill all the holes being created by the firesale.

This team needs a major rebuild on the offensive side. The pitching is coming along nicely and shows a lot of promise, but I just don't see very much to like going into the future on the other side of the ball. Blow it up and start over from scratch, I say. Get as many young hitters as you can via the various trades, and then look to make a big splash or two on the free agent market with all the salary recouped from dealing away the myriad mid-tier guys.

My $0.02

• Upvote 1

Keep the young guys... Markakis, Loewen, Cabrera. Give Penn and Olson their shots in the rotation.

Keep Bedard to anchor the young staff.

Keep Hernandez to tutor and stabilize the young arms.

Dump all the thirtysomething blah hitters... Gibbons, Payton, Huff, Mora, Millar, etc. These guys are OK, not great, but more importantly, they will not be major contributors on the next O's contender. No sense in delaying the inevitable. Move on, and free up the salary they're eating up.

Trachsel and Wright are available, if anyone will give you anything for either guy.

I wouldn't be looking to break up the bullpen completely, but I'd listen to offers for any of the veteran guys (Bradford, Walker, Williamson), and I'd actively look to move one or the other of Baez or Ray... preferrably Ray, since he's got more value.

Personally, I wouldn't invest what it will take to keep CPat. Trade him or take the picks.

Roberts can stay, unless you get a nice offer for him, and/or have a nice young 2B coming back in a separate deal.

Finally, Tejada has to go, since he's the most valuable trade chip you've got, and the guy that can bring the most young talent to fill all the holes being created by the firesale.

This team needs a major rebuild on the offensive side. The pitching is coming along nicely and shows a lot of promise, but I just don't see very much to like going into the future on the other side of the ball. Blow it up and start over from scratch, I say. Get as many young hitters as you can via the various trades, and then look to make a big splash or two on the free agent market with all the salary recouped from dealing away the myriad mid-tier guys.

My $0.02

Maybe that is what the Cubs should have done, instead of spending over $200 million this past offseason.

Maybe that is what the Cubs should have done, instead of spending over $200 million this past offseason.

One of ARam, Soriano, Zambrano, or Lee, in combination with those mediocre guys like Millar Huff Gibbons etc. would make the O's a serious contender in the AL East. All of those guys together aren't helping the Cubs much in the NL Central. :P

The team might have taken that approach at the start of the winter, or it might take that approach in July. But right now "the plan in effect is not working" is a prediction, not a fact. I'll tell you whether I think the plan is working 3 months from now.

The team might have taken that approach at the start of the winter, or it might take that approach in July. But right now "the plan in effect is not working" is a prediction, not a fact. I'll tell you whether I think the plan is working 3 months from now.

Isn't that the truth? We are missing Ramon and Payton, are one game above .500 in early April, and the advice, when the Yankees and BJays each have three key guys on the DL, is to pack it in? Give me a break.

Nice to have the bar at 83 wins in the NL Central, isn't it, Dave?

Wow lots of potshots at the Cubs and the NLC.

I'd have expected the folks here to refute my opinions if they don't agree with them, rather than go that other route.

Have you seen much during the O's 7-6 start to indicate that the consensus preseason prediction that put 3rd place/.500 record as the O's best case scenario might be offbase?

I am curious what you guys really think here.

How should the Orioles approach the future? Trade guys like Tejada, Gibbons, etc...or should we try and keep the team as intact as possible and go for a big name or 2 in the offseason?

At this point, I'd settle for either. Stradling the fence for all these years is getting old.

Wow lots of potshots at the Cubs and the NLC.

I'd have expected the folks here to refute my opinions if they don't agree with them, rather than go that other route.

Have you seen much during the O's 7-6 start to indicate that the consensus preseason prediction that put 3rd place/.500 record as the O's best case scenario might be offbase?

Dave, i don't agree with trading some of the guys you mentioned but all in all i think you have the right idea.

As i have been saying, this team is winning because of their pitching not because of Tejada, Gibbons and Mora.

You can trade thos guys, upgrade everywhere but SS(unless you put AROD there), get younger and are still better off short and long term.

I think some people here could come up with some very interesting moves involving trading our big names, I really do. BUT the only thing that matters is what the O's can/will do and the reality of the situation here in Baltimore is an empty stadium and a city that really, REALLY loves the Ravens. They just can't go backwards now, I really don't think it's an option. Even if it's the best longterm baseball move, I don't think it's feasible to adopt a rebuilding approach nor do I think they can pull it off with any success.

So that really leaves just one option. Go for it now. Which they are doing, just at a slower pace than we can usually stomach.

I think all they can do is to just keep going with what we have, identifying the weak links as they go and trying to improve each spot each year. We have some bright spots, some great players at key positions, and a tight bullpen. Add a big bat, add a big starter, we can do some damage.

At this point, I'd settle for either. Stradling the fence for all these years is getting old.

100% agree.

What's that old saying? Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results....That is what the Orioles have been doing for 9 years now.