Sign in to follow this  
fdfcosta

Wieters

True, but all he's saying is it's just one start. I remember Bascom had a great 1st start last year and everyone went wild. That wound up being his best start by far. Is this just one great start or will this be the norm for Arrieta? Let's wait and find out. I need to see a few more starts like tonight before I start thinking about him being in Baltimore before the year is over.

Arrieta's having a pretty rough start tonight. All the talk about when he's going up to Bowie and how he'll be in Baltimore before the season is over. Let's see how he does in Frederick first. One start does not make a phenom.

One start does not make a phenom.

True. But I think a lot of us are high on Arrieta because of his performance on opening day AND his performance at the end of last season.

Here's hoping he settles down in his third start. I have no doubt he will.

Frederick Keys catcher Matt Wieters ejected by HP umpire Anthony Johnson.

Frederick Keys Manager Tommy Thompson ejected by HP umpire Anthony Johnson.

What happened here? I was a bit concerned when I saw he was out of the game before I checked the play-by-play.

I am also wondering why Wieters was tossed.

For Wieters and the manager to be tossed by the HP ump, it was likely an argument over balls and strikes.

They were both ejected for arguing some foul balls that were called, at least that's what I heard. Apparently Tommy made his first ejection of the year one to remember with a long jawing to the umpire.

They were both ejected for arguing some foul balls that were called, at least that's what I heard. Apparently Tommy made his first ejection of the year one to remember with a long jawing to the umpire.

Arguing over foul balls? I'd love to hear what this was all about.

Yeah, I don't know what really went on down there. I just overheard a phone convo at the newspaper about it. I'll post more on Monday when they're back in town after I rag on Tommy for getting chucked less than a week into the season.

I'd pay good money to see Tommy Thompson go into a real rant on the field. That had to be a show.

No problems from me with Wieters getting tossed either. Shows he has heart and is into the games, not just looking at this as practice for the big leagues.

I've been slighly skeptical of the hype surrounding Wieters but a quick look at his numbers after one week (5 walks and only one K) lead me to believe he's probably one level lower than he should be. Better to err on the side of caution, but I have little doubt that he's ready for AA whenever the O's make the decision. I feel a lot more confident about his future after one week in Frederick, moreso than after his stint in the Hawaiin Winter League. I guess he was rusty.