mdbdotcom

Could Cliff Lee be our Lefty?

Risk, reward, price. You can sometimes buy your way out of risk. But the Orioles have to accept some level of risk to compete with teams with many more resources.

Best case: He'd be good and I'm wrong. I'll take that.

Worst case: He blows out his elbow or just stinks.

If this were 2005, I'd take it. But it's not. No to Cliff Lee. As a coach, sure. As a player, I don't think he'd be good for the SR

I'd prefer Buerhle. He's durable as heck (200 innings like EVERY year for years and years). He's 36, but a two-year deal would be awesome, IMO. Get some great experience into the rotation, along with a lefty. Could be a stabilizing influence - and a nice personality addition, as it seems like he's a good clubhouse guy. (At least I never hear anything bad about him.)

I'd prefer Buerhle. He's durable as heck (200 innings like EVERY year for years and years). He's 36, but a two-year deal would be awesome, IMO. Get some great experience into the rotation, along with a lefty. Could be a stabilizing influence - and a nice personality addition, as it seems like he's a good clubhouse guy. (At least I never hear anything bad about him.)

Oh, and I would really prefer him as well, but has he even decided he's playing?

I found this in regards to Buerhle. It makes more sense for him and the Cardinals considering they've already said they didn't want to pay out any big contracts.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/11/central-notes-indians-tigers-buehrle-pirates.html

Interesting... I say make him a nice, big, fat two-year offer... and make it too good for him to refuse if he still wants to play. Why not cash in one last time? If he can hold up for 180-plus innings and a sub-4 ERA... for, say, 2/30... I think that would be a deal worth pursuing.

Well, I did say have at it. You got the age right at least. When he last pitched with Philly he had a 2.93 ERA. He also sported a career best 48.4% groundball rate (Chen was around 40% last year) which should work pretty well with our defense.

Dan was quoted about the Red Cross Brigade or something like that. Starters who had rehabbed and needed a chance to pitch. Lee could be deep depth. A cheap gamble that could pay off big time.

1273-272Fr.jpg