wildcard

"Wow offer made to Davis!" (7 years - $150M Not one nickle more)

"Teams may not be the Yankees or the Red Sox or the Dodgers -- that's going to be an excuse. We've got plenty of money," manager Buck Showalter said Dec. 8 on Glenn Clark Radio. "Our owner [Peter Angelos] is unbelievably supportive from that standpoint. We have the highest payroll, I think, in Oriole history, so let's keep that in mind."

"We're still doing some things with Chris Davis," Showalter said. "He's going to make a decision about how much [money] is enough … and I know Chris would like to come back. But we will move on at some point."

"We do have [minor league first basemen] Trey Mancini and Christian Walker, and we do have some people that we will move on to," Showalter said. "We're not going to sit around and waddle around in self-pity. This game will survive without all of us."

http://www.pressboxonline.com/2015/12/09/buck-showalter-confident-in-direction-orioles-are-headed

"I don't draw lines in the sand. My job is really to take information. Unless Chris directs me to, we usually keep the door open for everyone to listen and advance what they want to advance. I think when you put time frames on this, it really prevents maybe the better idea, the new idea, that sometimes puts deals together."

"They’ve certainly been responsive. Dan and I, and Peter as well, have all been involved in the conversation. They've certainly let us know that Chris is a guy they covet. It’s been something that any baseball team would want to have."

Ed Encina www.sunspot.net

"I don't draw lines in the sand. My job is really to take information. Unless Chris directs me to, we usually keep the door open for everyone to listen and advance what they want to advance. I think when you put time frames on this, it really prevents maybe the better idea, the new idea, that sometimes puts deals together."

Ed Encina www.sunspot.net

How staggeringly reasonable and statesman-like Scott can be, don't you think?

Translation: Mo money.

How staggeringly reasonable and statesman-like Scott can be, don't you think?

Translation: Mo money.

More money and I'm in control, not you. Davis needs to kick this guy in the butt if he wants to stay an Oriole.

Deja-Teixeira all over again. With one substantive difference.

I was convinced Mark Teixeira taking the New York deal was part money and as much on Baltimore being a losing team. I read an interview a few years into the deal and the Maryland native said the O's "didn't seem interested" and were "the lowest offer by far." In other words, he scoffed at the 7/150, and loved New York for 8/180. Thirty million bucks is a bunch. Absolutely his right, I get it.

So, today, some of the blowback from Boras is that the Davis offer is not quite the 2008 O's Tex offer - I guess he wants to factor inflation or something. But the O's have to be much closer to the actual market value. 150 is still an overreach for actual, real baseball value. It is worth it to me, to go over value a little in order to win now or in the first four years of the deal. This time, the O's are very competitive in the division, and the offer and we're still playing a waiting game.

If feels like something is missing - does CD like playing for Buck? Good team, fans who love the guy and a really competitive offer.

I'm with the team on this one, if he can't decide 7/150 is good enough in a timely fashion (24-48 hours), maybe it is time to move on. I would rather him stay, and the O's get a pitcher or two and we give the Bosox a run for their money.

Tex blew us off and the sun rose the next day...

-Don

• Upvote 1

We can really only enforce some type of deadline with Davis if we already have a guy like Upton in hand. If we don't have an Upton deal, we'd just be given Upton the more leverage by publicly stopping talking to Davis.

Britt Ghiroli, Orioles.com

30 mins ?

“Who are we competing against [for Chris Davis]?,” Dan Duquette said, reiterating that the market for the slugger is unclear. “We’ve made a really aggressive offer to sign this player and still field a competitive team. That’s really the issue. How much resources are you going to put towards one part of your team? Everyone needs power, everyone needs guys to get on-base [guys], everyone needs good defenders, good starting, middle relief, a good bullpen. That’s really what the issue is. We want to provide affordable entertainment for families to come out and enjoy Camden Yards. So, we are going to try to find a sweet spot, where we can put as much as we can towards the payroll and towards having a competitive team.”

Deja-Teixeira all over again. With one substantive difference.

I was convinced Mark Teixeira taking the New York deal was part money and as much on Baltimore being a losing team. I read an interview a few years into the deal and the Maryland native said the O's "didn't seem interested" and were "the lowest offer by far." In other words, he scoffed at the 7/150, and loved New York for 8/180. Thirty million bucks is a bunch. Absolutely his right, I get it.

So, today, some of the blowback from Boras is that the Davis offer is not quite the 2008 O's Tex offer - I guess he wants to factor inflation or something. But the O's have to be much closer to the actual market value. 150 is still an overreach for actual, real baseball value. It is worth it to me, to go over value a little in order to win now or in the first four years of the deal. This time, the O's are very competitive in the division, and the offer and we're still playing a waiting game.

If feels like something is missing - does CD like playing for Buck? Good team, fans who love the guy and a really competitive offer.

I'm with the team on this one, if he can't decide 7/150 is good enough in a timely fashion (24-48 hours), maybe it is time to move on. I would rather him stay, and the O's get a pitcher or two and we give the Bosox a run for their money.

-Don

Teixeira had over 34 WAR at the time and Davis less than 15.

Teixeira had over 34 WAR at the time and Davis less than 15.

Absolutely - which is why the hold up makes little sense to me. If the dude likes BMore, 150 million bucks is a good reason to stay. And why I feel like both players may be more interested the size of the contract than in the Orioles.

-Don

-Don

Dan Connolly stated the other day that both Matt Wieters and Darren O'Day were pretty tough on Davis when he failed his second test when we were trying to win our first World Series in thirty years. Against a team that was stacked with right-handed pitchers. Maybe he would rather move past that chapter of his life and past folks who knew him when. It's hard to tell what he may feel about it all himself. He has said it is out of his hands, so I would assume that he is trusting this to his agent.

Heyman suggesting they "upped their offer above $150MM but there's still a gap."

Still a gap? He can jump in the gap at this point as far as I'm concerned...

It's astounding to me that they evidently increased their offer in the face of no apparent competition.

Davis wants 8/200 to sign now.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">If true, Orioles should walk away. <a href="https://t.co/LAixETmGN8">https://t.co/LAixETmGN8</a></p>— Alan (@CamdenFanatic) <a href="

">December 10, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Edited by weams