wildcard

"Wow offer made to Davis!" (7 years - $150M Not one nickle more)

On MLB, Morosi speculates that Davis is waiting on fallout from Heyward's next deal, specifically St. Louis if they miss out. In other words, Boras is waiting for a market besides Baltimore to create a competition which currently isn't there.

Freakin' Morosi...when was the last time he had an original thought?

In all seriousness, it seems reasonable to think that the Davis negotiations have been held up, in part, by the Cardinals' pursuit of Heyward. If St. Louis fails to land Heyward, they'll constitute one of the "mystery teams" for Davis.

In this case the waiting game might be a bad strategy. Davis has a more limited market with the big budget clubs (NYY, LAD, BOS) all having 1B locked in. If the Orioles move on and sign an Upton or Gordon, that is one less team bidding on Davis. If STL is the team that signs Heyward, that takes away another bidder. I would not be surprised to see Davis' price go down the longer Boras waits.

I'm sure Boras is weighing those risks. He's got more insight into this than any of us.

STL appears to be out on Heyward. So the dance begins. How much does STL want to pay for CD.

Let them have CD. Sign Fowler (if the Cubs land Heyward) and Alvarez.

Do we want to give up a first round pick for Fowler?

Which would you prefer:

1) Sign Davis for seven years and give up pick #25

2) Sign Fowler (four years) and Alvarez (three years), have more money available four years from now, and give up #14

Do we want to give up a first round pick for Fowler?

Short answer, no. I wouldn't mind having him on the team if that weren't the case though.

Which would you prefer:

1) Sign Davis for seven years and give up pick #25

2) Sign Fowler (four years) and Alvarez (three years), have more money available four years from now, and give up #14

I believe the Davis pick is more like #30, isn't it?

I don't see Fowler as a guy I'd be inclined to forfeit the pick for. Davis, Upton, and Gordon, yes. Fowler, no. Frankly, I see Fowler as being more of a guy that the Cardinals may turn to if they miss out on Heyward, moreso than Davis. Just my opinion.

I don't see Fowler as a guy I'd be inclined to forfeit the pick for. Davis, Upton, and Gordon, yes. Fowler, no. Frankly, I see Fowler as being more of a guy that the Cardinals may turn to if they miss out on Heyward, moreso than Davis. Just my opinion.

STL still needs a SP too.

The Davis pick should end up in the mid 20s by the time all the QO'd free agents sign.