Number5

Making "No" Sound Like "Yes"

Alvarez would never be signed were there Davis. And what if he gives all 32 to Manny in 2017? Even if he doesn't come to Fan Fests.

Exactly, that is why I said the $6 million to Alvarez is what could be considered to be out of the Davis money. I hesitate to call a Manny extension out of the Davis money. Do you really believe that signing Davis has anything to do with whether we attempt to extend Manny? The effort to extend Manny should occur in any case. Getting him to puch back the date he can try for the free agency gold is a tall order, though.

Exactly, that is why I said the $6 million to Alvarez is what could be considered to be out of the Davis money. I hesitate to call a Manny extension out of the Davis money. Do you really believe that signing Davis has anything to do with whether we attempt to extend Manny? The effort to extend Manny should occur in any case. Getting him to puch back the date he can try for the free agency gold is a tall order, though.

I really don't know. I don't. I don't know who will pull the strings in 2019. Either.

This entire thread is debating something Duquette never really said. Here is a link to the season ticket holder forum.

At 9:15, Duquette is asked about negotiations with Davis where he describes the situation as "tough" and that they are still trying.

At 19:45 is a question about spending the money elsewhere. Everyone can listen for themselves and draw their own conclusions but Duquette certainly never said anything about spending over the next 8 years and that it won't be on one player. The closest he gets to anything like that is saying that he is not sure "the company would reinvest all of that at one time."

https://vimeo.com/148750958

I took this to mean it wasn't likely they would make another 7 year investment for 154 M to just one player. I isn't their MO to put that many marbles in one basket.

He spoke on the issue several times and at several forums.

That is just not true. Duquette spoke on two panels (the season ticket holder one with Buck and the front office one). I also have the full video of the front office forum up and he didn’t make any comment approaching what you said he said in that one. I haven’t seen the reporters report anything close to what you have Duquette saying during their session with him.

Obviously what Duquette did actually say concerning Davis can be interpreted in a few different ways but the stuff about “over the next eight years” and “not on one player” was either not said or is twisting what he did say. You seem to have a tendency to paraphrase what people say in interviews and twist their words a little bit, rather than just accurately reporting back the quotes.

I took this to mean it wasn't likely they would make another 7 year investment for 154 M to just one player. I isn't their MO to put that many marbles in one basket.

Agreed.

That is just not true. Duquette spoke on two panels (the season ticket holder one with Buck and the front office one). I also have the full video of the front office forum up and he didn?t make any comment approaching what you said he said in that one. I haven?t seen the reporters report anything close to what you have Duquette saying during their session with him.

Stomper, thanks for posting the video. That was me asking the question of whether the monies for Davis would be available to other signings. And my brave 10 year old nephew at 27:10 asking in front of 1000 people, whether O'Day gets tired.

If you have them, can you post the videos of the later session with Duquette and Brady, and also the session with Buck and the coaching staff?

Stomper, thanks for posting the video. That was me asking the question of whether the monies for Davis would be available to other signings. And my brave 10 year old nephew at 27:10 asking in front of 1000 people, whether O'Day gets tired.

If you have them, can you post the videos of the later session with Duquette and Brady, and also the session with Buck and the coaching staff?

Great questions from both of you.