Going Underground

Manny Misses Fan Fest (Buck Not Happy).

That doesn't pass the test for me. If you had a business trip, would you cancel it because you had a niece or nephew being born. I wouldn't.

Maybe I'm out of the loop but I've never heard that one as an excuse for missing work. This is really part of Manny's job.

What if it was business trip that you would rather avoid?

Has the child been born?

No indication. It appears the shower was way back in September. So who knows what the real deal is. The media has certainly backpedaled from their initial report that it was a sister in law.

I think it's a lot of reasons. Mainly an inconsistent FO message, odd comments from Buck (normally the guy we look to for stability), offseason fan anxiety, having to witness Boras negotiations, and FanFest in general which always ends up with the FO delivering a message that fans don't agree with. Not to mention player no shows which gets everybody on their high horse.

It's a high stress time as a fan and until the roster takes shape and Dan n Buck stop playing the woe is me card, it's gonna be testy around here.

I'm also abrasive and those with sensitive skin tend to have reactions. ;)

Funny how it is always the sensitive ones that end up hurling the actual insults.

And the Portland Trailblazers would counter with your in the NBA as opposed to the minor leagues, riding buses, which is where you'd be if you were playing baseball right now.

Buck and Dan seemed to think a fast track would be available. Dunno. We'll never see. His buddy Samardzija just got a lot of money.

My daughter follows Manny on instagram, She saw the picture and showed it to me. I really didn't read any details about it.

Thanks appreciate it.

What if it was business trip that you would rather avoid?

Ultimately, the fans are the ones who pay the salaries. If I had a major client who needed/wanted me to visit their facility once a year, I sure as hell would go even if I didn't really want to. This is Manny forgetting that it's the fans who are the reason these guys make what they do. He was asked to go sign a few autographs and talk a little with those people. He declined. Nice.

That doesn't pass the test for me. If you had a business trip, would you cancel it because you had a niece or nephew being born. I wouldn't.

Maybe I'm out of the loop but I've never heard that one as an excuse for missing work. This is really part of Manny's job.

We can quibble over whether we would do the same thing as Manny, but it seems to be a decent reason to miss. There's a difference between, "Boss I can't make it to this extra curricular work activity because my college roommate is having a baby" and "Boss I can't make it because my wife and I would like to be with her brother and his wife at the birth of their child".

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Ultimately, the fans are the ones who pay the salaries. If I had a major client who needed/wanted me to visit their facility once a year, I sure as hell would go even if I didn't really want to. This is Manny forgetting that it's the fans who are the reason these guys make what they do. He was asked to go sign a few autographs and talk a little with those people. He declined. Nice.

I'm the same way.

It's called a job for a reason.

I do know folks that would use something like that as an excuse if they could get away with it.

We can quibble over whether we would do the same thing as Manny, but it seems to be a decent reason to miss. There's a difference between, "Boss I can't make it to this extra curricular work activity because my college roommate is having a baby" and "Boss I can't make it because my wife and I would like to be with her brother and his wife at the birth of their child".

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

A decent reason to miss. Have you ever called into work and said you weren't coming in because your sister was having a baby? Again, maybe I'm just out of the loop.

Oh good grief. Did you shed a few tears because he wasn't signing autographs for people "who pay his salary?" What a crock. If a kid gets upset because his favorite player isn't there to sign autographs, I can understand it. It's a kid. They get emotional over things.

Adults should be more understanding about someone wanting to be with family. Based on everything else you've posted today, you just seem to want to complain.

I vote we drop this subject. Either you feel like he's kind of a jerk or you don't, or you don't care either way. Buck isn't happy, some people here aren't happy, some don't care, like me.

I dunno what else we are going to squeeze out of it. Not knocking the thread, just saying. What can be done or said?

I always laugh at people who come into a thread and say "I don't really want to talk about this". Really, That's funny.

• Upvote 1

Oh good grief. Did you shed a few tears because he wasn't signing autographs for people "who pay his salary?" What a crock. If a kid gets upset because his favorite player isn't there to sign autographs, I can understand it. It's a kid. They get emotional over things.

Adults should be more understanding about someone wanting to be with family. Based on everything else you've posted today, you just seem to want to complain.

I kind of think there might have been some kids there yesterday. I guess Weams just wants to complain too. Weams, the Oriole complainer. Yeah, that's me too.