Frobby

The Wei-Yin Chen appreciation thread

Now that Wei-Yin has officially moved on, I'd like to express my appreciation for his contributions to the Orioles.

I still remember the first time I heard his name. Buck was attending a dinner in Delmarva or somewhere like that, during the period after MacPhail had resigned and before Duquette was hired. He mentioned that the Orioles' scouting staff had their eye on a guy named Wei-Yin Chen in the Japanese league. At the time, Darvish was getting a ton of press and folks were anticipating that some team would pay the largest posting fee ever to obtain him. Chen was just some afterthought nobody was paying any attention to.

Duquette came in and signed him for 3/$10.9 mm with a $4.75 mm option and a $400 k buyout -- and what a steal that turned out to be! Fangraphs values Chen's four years with the Birds at a cool $70.3 mm. All told, Chen went 46-32 with a 3.72 ERA in 117 starts. He was our most consistent starter over the last four years. I always felt when he was on the mound, we had a solid chance to win, a feeling that is borne out by his record.

I'm sorry that Chen has moved on, and wish him the best of luck in Miami.

I liked that he owned up when he struggled, as opposed to guys who always had an excuse ready.

That's because he didn't have to worry about his season becoming a disaster because he had the most talent. It's easier to shrug off things when you're very good at baseball.

• Upvote 1

I think only after he's gone are people going to fully appreciate him. He always seemed to take a backseat to everybody else who he was better than on the staff.

He was out best guy hands down.

That's because he didn't have to worry about his season becoming a disaster because he had the most talent. It's easier to shrug off things when you're very good at baseball.

I would prefer to think that it was because of who he was as a person. (or the great job his translator did)

Some folks look for excuses and some don't.

I'd rather root for the latter.

Threw strikes, never showed frustration, never changed his approach. Possibly the most consistent pitcher I have ever seen even if never dominant. Kind of a poor mans Andy Petite. Just a good pitcher. Will be sorely missed.

Thanks for everything Wei-Yin! You were a pleasure to watch and will be missed!

At times inconsistent, but as Jim Palmer would say, when he had a nice lean in his windup, it was going to be a good night!

For better or worse, he seemed like the guy you could count on over the last 4 years to go out and keep you in the game each time he took the mound. I will miss his consistency and ability to throw strikes. Thanks for the memories Wei-Yin!

The winning pitcher in the first Orioles postseason win since 1997. Solid pitcher. Hard worker. Good teammate. I'm going to miss Wei and his interpreter. Good luck in Miami, Wei, hope you do well there and have fun.

Thanks for my fav O's T-shirt!

I think making up for Chen's absence--with someone who's even better than Wei-yin was--is more important than signing another slugger.

I appreciate the hard work and consistency that WYC gave us these last few years. Best of luck to him (excepting the occasional interleague we'll face him in, of course).