xian4

Orioles made an offer to Cespedes (Buck dead-set against it?)

7/154 was taken off the table.

At this point, if Boras calls the Oze it's up to him to make an offer of his own, since there's none from the other side to accept or reject. And whatever he says, if I'm DD my response is that there's a pending offer for another player and if that player rejects it then that same offer will be made to CD as a second choice candidate. Is 5/90 an insult after not taking 7/154? Sure, but that isn't Dan's fault one iota.

Time for some high-profile player to fire Boras over a botch like this.

Boras will probably call the owner, not Dan.

Not sure what the owner would do.

Boras will probably call the owner, not Dan.

Not sure what the owner would do.

Fair enough, and probably right. Here's hoping Pete plays a good game of chicken - I have a feeling he does.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Yoenis Cespedes has been seeking a 6-year deal in the $22M annual range this winter, said <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/MLB?src=hash">#MLB</a> source.</p>— Jerry Crasnick (@jcrasnick) <a href="

">January 15, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Ivan Rodriguez signed with the Marlins for 1yr. After having a .895 ops in 2002.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/rodriiv01.shtml

Interesting thanks. Have to go back 14 years to find an example even close.

Did the free agency system back then have draft pick compensation? If not, then Pudge is still not comparable. Is there a comparable case under the current CBA?

Fair enough, and probably right. Here's hoping Pete plays a good game of chicken - I have a feeling he does.

I'm sorry Scott, you appear to have dialed the wrong number. I'll have my secretary forward you to Dan.

I wonder if those same circumstances came up now. How would it pan out with the crazy contracts being handed out. :scratchchinhmm:

Would the third party arbitrators be more sympathetic to owners now?

Hell no. If Upton, Cespedes, Davis, Price, and the rest were all offered 2/20 deals by their old teams and almost nothing by anyone else the owners would have a $10B judgment on their hands fast as you could blink.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Yoenis Cespedes has been seeking a 6-year deal in the $22M annual range this winter, said <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/MLB?src=hash">#MLB</a> source.</p>— Jerry Crasnick (@jcrasnick) <a href="

If a team valued him to that degree he would have a contract.

O's could just make Upton an offer and sign whomever agrees first.

Did the free agency system back then have draft pick compensation? If not, then Pudge is still not comparable. Is there a comparable case under the current CBA?

It was the old A/B/C thing where all the players got rated by some 1981 Elias Bureau nightmare involving pitcher wins and batting average and RBI and compensation doled out, even if you'd traded for the guy 15 minutes before the end of the season.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">while mets would consider 1-3 year deal for cespedes, there's little expectation he'd decline long deal elsewhere for that</p>— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) <a href="

If a team valued him to that degree he would have a contract.

O's could just make Upton an offer and sign whomever agrees first.

Didn't we do that with Lopez and IRod once, or did I dream that?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> have discussed 5 yrs. and $17-18M per year. That provides some context on gap that would have to be bridged w/Cespedes.</p>— Jerry Crasnick (@jcrasnick) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Getting mixed answers on level of impatience <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> have with Chris Davis. But they're clearly not ready to move past him yet.</p>— Jerry Crasnick (@jcrasnick) <a href="