SteveO

Why we may be undervaluing Dan Duquettes long term strategy

I'm warming to the possibility that, if we can't sign him, we can get a truckload of talent in exchange. I'll worry about that one next offseason.

Me too. A truckload.

I love Manny, but the kid is cocky and he knows he's good. He's gonna want 200+ million to even start negotiations. I think it would be in our best interest to trade him next offseason when we can get as much for him as possible. Don't get me wrong, I love him and want to sign him long term, but being realistic, I don't think we have a chance in hell of that.

I love Manny, but the kid is cocky and he knows he's good. He's gonna want 200+ million to even start negotiations. I think it would be in our best interest to trade him next offseason when we can get as much for him as possible. Don't get me wrong, I love him and want to sign him long term, but being realistic, I don't think we have a chance in hell of that.

If he is traded with two years of control, the return had beter be the biggest haul in MLB history. If anything, trade him before the deadline in '17. If he isn't extended, I'm done with baseball.

If he is traded with two years of control, the return had beter be the biggest haul in MLB history. If anything, trade him before the deadline in '17. If he isn't extended, I'm done with baseball.

Why do this to yourself? I think we know that signing him to an extension will be a difficult challenge.

Oh I'm not. I like Manny and hope the FO can extend him. But if not he is only

one player on a team. I can't nor will I turn my back on the O's or baseball just

because Manny is not extended a contract. There will still be a team, a sport to

cheer for. I have been a fan of the O's far too long to change over one player.

• Upvote 1

Oh I'm not. I like Manny and hope the FO can extend him. But if not he is only

one player on a team. I can't nor will I turn my back on the O's or baseball just

because Manny is not extended a contract. There will still be a team, a sport to

cheer for. I have been a fan of the O's far too long to change over one player.

Manny may not want to extend. Certainly the Baltimore area is not the richest in the land.

Manny may not want to extend. Certainly the Baltimore area is not the richest in the land.

Maybe not. Hope he does. If not I won't worry about it.

I'm never going to say I'm done with baseball, but it would be very, very disappointing to see Manny in a different uniform. I'd only trade him if he/his agent pretty explicitly said they were going to test the market and have no interest in extending. I'm setting aside logic here. I want Manny to be my guy for the next 15-20 years. I want him to be my kids' Cal.

I'm never going to say I'm done with baseball, but it would be very, very disappointing to see Manny in a different uniform. I'd only trade him if he/his agent pretty explicitly said they were going to test the market and have no interest in extending. I'm setting aside logic here. I want Manny to be my guy for the next 15-20 years. I want him to be my kids' Cal.

I remember some fan friends of mine, saying the same thing, when Cal was a young buck here, and that they would be done with the Orioles, if they didn't resign him to stay here.

I think there are a small percentage of ball players that people pay to see, and they bring more value to the team, then just their WAR.

I believe Manny could be one of those.

I remember some fan friends of mine, saying the same thing, when Cal was a young buck here, and that they would be done with the Orioles, if they didn't resign him to stay here.

I think there are a small percentage of ball players that people pay to see, and they bring more value to the team, then just their WAR.

I believe Manny could be one of those.

It still comes down to winning and losing. If the O's trade Manny for a Bedard-like haul and then win the impact will be lost in the noise. If they trade Manny and start into a down period the impact will be somewhat magnified. But almost all attempts to tie one player to attendance are exaggerations. It's exceptionally rare to have a Fernando/Mark Fidrych/young Strasburg effect, especially among position players.

While we're too late to get a good discount on any of Manny's FA years, what about Schoop? I agree wholeheartedly Manny's long term future is the meta-question of the rest of the decade, and get some peace of mind about Davis's extension in the context of preparing the supporting cast of Manny's prime. With that thought, maybe Schoop is next - they've been teammates up the chain, and even his 65-75% outcome probably makes him the second best position player on the team in another couple seasons.

Jedd Gyorko signed this extension right after Opening Day two years back.

6 years/$35.5109M (2014-19), plus 2020 club option

signed extension with San Diego 4/14/14

14:$0.5109M, 15:$2M, 16:$4M, 17:$6M, 18:$9M, 19:$13M, 20:$13M club option ($1M buyout)

I'd give Schoop something like this happily today.

It still comes down to winning and losing. If the O's trade Manny for a Bedard-like haul and then win the impact will be lost in the noise. If they trade Manny and start into a down period the impact will be somewhat magnified. But almost all attempts to tie one player to attendance are exaggerations. It's exceptionally rare to have a Fernando/Mark Fidrych/young Strasburg effect, especially among position players.

It is a exaggeration? You still see people wearing Ripken shirts at the Stadium. Just the rumor of him working for the Nats, put the fandome into an up roar.

Whose shirt do you see now at the Stadium, besides Ripkens? Manny is probably the most seen of the active players still on the team.

If Bedard would have stayed the Ace, he was, when he was traded, it would not have been a big haul for the Orioles.

Even if Glenn Davis had been a good trade, losing 3 quality players for one, doesn't always work.

It is a exaggeration? You still see people wearing Ripken shirts at the Stadium. Just the rumor of him working for the Nats, put the fandome into an up roar.

Whose shirt do you see now at the Stadium, besides Ripkens? Manny is probably the most seen of the active players still on the team.

If Bedard would have stayed the Ace, he was, when he was traded, it would not have been a big haul for the Orioles.

Even if Glenn Davis had been a good trade, losing 3 quality players for one, doesn't always work.

Yes, tying a single player to attendance is almost always an exaggeration. Was Cal an exception? Maybe. But Cal was on the team when attendance fell 500k from '85-88. He was on the team when attendance fell from 3.7M to just over three million in '01.

For almost all non-inner circle HOFers the argument hold no water whatsoever. Do you remember the disucssion about bringing back BJ Surhoff, and how he'd perk up attendance? That was total BS. Signing BJ Surhoff didn't sell two dozen season tickets.

I'm not sure what your last two sentences mean.

Yes, tying a single player to attendance is almost always an exaggeration. Was Cal an exception? Maybe. But Cal was on the team when attendance fell 500k from '85-88. He was on the team when attendance fell from 3.7M to just over three million in '01.

For almost all non-inner circle HOFers the argument hold no water whatsoever. Do you remember the disucssion about bringing back BJ Surhoff, and how he'd perk up attendance? That was total BS. Signing BJ Surhoff didn't sell two dozen season tickets.

I'm not sure what your last two sentences mean.

Of course, the early 80s recession had nothing to do with people in the seats?

Not sure, how I can justified selling the trade of Manny to another team for a "haul", since you never know how those trades will work out.