PaulFolk

Orioles' Starting Pitching Strategy Is Difficult to Decipher

If indeed the Orioles sign Yovani Gallardo, they will have improved their rotation, but at the cost of their No. 14 pick.

It shouldn't have come to this. The Orioles had plenty of opportunities this winter to add a quality starter without worrying about losing their first-round pick. But the Birds essentially painted themselves into a corner.

Here's how it happened: http://www.pressboxonline.com/2016/02/10/orioles-starting-pitching-strategy-is-difficult-to-decipher

• Upvote 1

They have been in on Gallardo from the beginning. The strategy is to go for second tier guys that don't cost too much, sacrifice the draft pick if necessary to get a discount, and wait for the price to drop. To that extent the strategy has been clear. I don't agree with it but I think it has been consistent.

While Duquette's reasoning makes sense on its face, he's omitting an important detail: in some cases, offering an opt-out might be the only way to sign a player you want. Theoretically, if you could sign a pitcher you like to a four-year contract with an opt-out after one year, isn't that better than not signing him at all? Sure, if he has a great season, he'll opt out -- but at least the O's will have reaped the benefits of that one great season. And if he has a lousy year, the O's are stuck with the rest of the contract -- but how is that any different than if they signed him to a contract without an opt-out?

This is what has always bothered me about DD's statement about opt-outs. I understand the hesitancy if signing the player in question also includes losing a draft pick but if it does't, what's the harm? I guess the harm would be even more steeply rising salary costs. And it definitely would make a GM's job harder.

The Orioles are very risk averse. As a result, I think they had interest in Kazmir but felt there was too much risk with his fluctuating performances.

I think Kazmir would have been a good pickup at the right price.

I think the Dodgers paid dearly for his services, 3 years and 48 million and all guaranteed is pretty steep, at least IMO.

Exactly. That's simply not what the O's are going to pay for a player with that many question marks.

And with the Prices of the work at 30+ a year, geeze, you have to depend on young cheap arms.

And with the Prices of the work at 30+ a year, geeze, you have to depend on young cheap arms.

...and your best chance of getting one is with the 14th pick. It's a vicious cycle that every team has to go through.

This is what has always bothered me about DD's statement about opt-outs. I understand the hesitancy if signing the player in question also includes losing a draft pick but if it does't, what's the harm? I guess the harm would be even more steeply rising salary costs. And it definitely would make a GM's job harder.

If the opt out keeps Gallardo from signing than I am forever a fan of them.

"It shouldn't have come to this. The Orioles had plenty of opportunities this winter to add a quality starter without worrying about losing their first-round pick. But the Birds' lack of a solid strategy has left them out of luck."

The lack of strategy isn't only in pitching, but sadly there's not one thing in this article with which I can disagree.

It shouldn't have come to this. The Orioles had plenty of opportunities this winter to add a quality starter without worrying about losing their first-round pick. But the Birds' lack of a solid strategy has left them out of luck.

The lack of strategy isn't only in pitching, but sadly there's not one thing in this article with which I can disagree.

It still shouldn't come to this.

I'd rather they roll with what they got than cough up the #14 for "consistently okay"

"It shouldn't have come to this. The Orioles had plenty of opportunities this winter to add a quality starter without worrying about losing their first-round pick. But the Birds' lack of a solid strategy has left them out of luck."

Go one further. They should have thrown in the towel last year, traded Davis and not given up Davies. You would be going into this season with more than enough depth to not worry about pitching from free agency and a protected top 10 pick.

It still shouldn't come to this.

I'd rather they roll with what they got than cough up the #14 for "consistently okay"

No, and as someone else mentioned it's not the first time they've employed it. Signing Jimenez basically employed the same strategy. So, it represents a pattern which is curious and runs antithetical to statements made by both Duquette and Showalter in regards to team building.

If indeed the Orioles sign Yovani Gallardo, they will have improved their rotation, but at the cost of their No. 14 pick.

It shouldn't have come to this. The Orioles had plenty of opportunities this winter to add a quality starter without worrying about losing their first-round pick. But the Birds essentially painted themselves into a corner.

Here's how it happened: http://www.pressboxonline.com/2016/02/10/orioles-starting-pitching-strategy-is-difficult-to-decipher

Definitely an understatement. Whose on first?

Go one further. They should have thrown in the towel last year, traded Davis and not given up Davies. You would be going into this season with more than enough depth to not worry about pitching from free agency and a protected top 10 pick.

Well, "building for the future" would have softened the blow for the fanbase, but yes. If they aren't going to hold onto draft picks and comp picks they may as well trade assets that will over time become burdensome as a way of re-stocking the farm.

Again, hard to know when there's no clear strategy. I get the ever present feeling of fence-straddling.

I'm not sure how often this happens, if ever, but what was stopping us from trading Chris Davis for prospects and then bringing him back? We certainly could have had him back for what we paid. Then the blow of the #14 pick wouldn't have been much of anything

At first blush I was really upset when i saw what Latos signed for. Then I realized something, if I am trying to maximize my value - I would much rather pitch in the AL Central for a year than pretty much any other division.

Large pitcher friendly parks

Weaker lineups

The White Sox have basically zero expectations this year

Why take a similar deal from the Orioles when you have to face the Red Sox and Yankees and Jays and Rays all year?