xian4

Orioles sign Gallardo (Waiting on Fowler)

What Would You Do?  

134 members have voted

1. 1. What Would You Do?

• Sign Gallardo (Post how much to offer)
    • Save the 14th Pick

This poll is closed to new votes

We just need Gallardo to be himself, take the ball for 30+ starts, and be above average.

Did you know there was only 25 AL starters who pitched at or above the league average ERA+ 101? Gallardo was 6th at 124.

Keep the ball down with the hr rate and let the defense and offense do their things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Career numbers:<br>WYChen: 3.72 ERA, 1.25 WHIP, 1.2 HR/9, 4.14 FIP<br>Gallardo: 3.66 ERA, 1.31 WHIP, 0.9 HR/9, 3.75 FIP<br>Chen 80M - Gallardo 35M.</p>— Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="
">February 21, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

0.9 HR/9, 3.75 FIP

Gallardo's career averages aren't the issue. It's his downward trend. If he stops that, or better yet bounces back, he's a good signing. We'll see.

Why is Gallardo worth 3/35 but Chen wasn't worth 5/80

Chen may very well be worth that. But 3/35 is over 4 million less per season on average. I don't think Chen is worth 4M more than Gallardo per season.

Also, I think the whole getting optioned thing left bad feelings with Chen last year. I never thought he was coming back after that incident.

I really think Dan has something wrong with him. He doesn't seem all there to me.

So now there's something wrong with him. He was depressed before now he's mentally unstable. You guys are freaking killing me!

Gallardo's career averages aren't the issue. It's his downward trend. If he stops that, or better yet bounces back, he's a good signing. We'll see.
I'm not sure about the downward trend. He was pretty much even keel, until last year when he came to the AL. It could well be that most of the K/9/WHIP/IP/GS stuff is a result of that. It remains to be seen if he can continue to adjust to that. He managed to last year and perhaps with our IF D he will continue to do so.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Career numbers:<br>WYChen: 3.72 ERA, 1.25 WHIP, 1.2 HR/9, 4.14 FIP<br>Gallardo: 3.66 ERA, 1.31 WHIP, 0.9 HR/9, 3.75 FIP<br>Chen 80M - Gallardo 35M.</p>— Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="
">February 21, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

0.9 HR/9, 3.75 FIP

Chen: vs. AL East

Gallardo: vs NL Central

I still think the prime time was when his leg was in a cast.

I don't there was any window to sign Manny to a long-term extension. Lozano got burned badly on the Pujols extension with the Cardinals years ago. He was not going to make the same mistake the second time around. I guess the good news about the FA signings is that the Orioles appear to be flush with cash and pretty much every big contract outside of Davis will be off the books when Machado hits free agency. The bad news is I don't know if the Orioles are willing to invest $30 million/year for one player because that's what it's going to take to sign Machado to a long-term contract.