murph

Maryland @ Indiana

Wow, tough critic. Are you seeing dominant teams I'm not aware of? Kansas and Michigan State are probably at the top of the class right now, but with all the parity in college basketball today, I don't see how you can't put Indiana in that next tier of teams.

He is a troll, my bad for taking the bait.

• Upvote 1

This team will be fortunate to reach the Sweet 16 if it doesn't up its play. Really bad play down the stretch.

We are probably looking at a five seed right now. Could be be as high as a 3 if we do well in the Big 10 Tournament or as low as a 6 if we get bounced in our first game. Pretty precipitous fall considering we were ranked # 2 in the country three weeks ago.

Stone has to stay now I think. He just doesn't rebound enough to get time in the NBA. No way.

I think Trimble stays too.

I hope Carter goes, but he won't.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For most players, being guaranteed a first round pick is enough to leave and Stone is projected late lottery or mid-first round. He could use more seasoning, but I think he's gone. Trimble will be gone too. Carter is the only one I expect back.

Edited by ChuckS

I agree with most of the assessments on here. At the end of the day, Turgeon has not been able to mold these guys into a better team and if anything, they look worse now as other teams have started to gel. I really think Turgeon is a good guy, and he's able to recruit pretty well, but not one player has come to Maryland and got significantly better. I haven't seen one game where I thought Turgeon outcoached the other team and the fact that his team looks more confused as the season goes on speaks volumes of his ability to coach if you ask me.

As for Carter, I completely agree about his softness. He reminds me a more athletic Evan Smotrycz. Both players drove me nuts for their lack of desire to rebound, box out, or play decent defense (though Smotrycz seemed to try on defense on occasion).

Can't remember a time I was more frustrated with a Maryland basketball team. Way too much talent to play this poorly. The sooner Turgeon goes the better in my mind. The guy has had long enough to turn this program into what it should be to watch his team fall apart under his nose is another black mark on his record here at Maryland.

Saying all that, Indiana is a damn good basketball team.

Obviously, I enjoyed the game more than most anyone here yesterday. There is a cohesion and togetherness to this IU team that has been missing from recent teams and that most likely starts with senior leadership. IU's season was looking like a disaster a couple months ago with a historically bad defensive performance at Duke (giving up over 1.5 points per possession) that left IU completely exposed after really disheartening losses to Wake and UNLV in Maui. It has been a most rewarding season to see the team come back from that early adversity to where we are now.

IU also had MDAA James Blackmon and his 17 ppg go down for the year, but he was a subpar defender. Around the same time, the two freshman forwards started to get significant playing time and their defense, rebounding and strength were on display yesterday. They make IU a deep team - in one of our Iowa wins, the IU bench outscored Iowa's 28-0.

I think Maryland played well in stretches, but not good enough defense for long enough. Trimble looks completely uninterested in exerting the effort to dominate a game for 40 mins. I enjoyed seeing Hartman and Layman guard each other - two above average "glue" guys. IU went undefeated at home and Maryland played us tougher than everyone but Purdue and Iowa. Other teams completely fell apart.

IU won the B1G regular season, but if you didn't know, the schedule was unbalanced and a tremendously favorable one for IU - not playing at Maryland or Purdue and only playing Mich State once at MSU. The past few regular season B1G winners have enjoyed favorable schedules.

That said, IU did win on the road in Iowa, Michigan, Minn and Nebraska - though a loss to Penn State tempers the upside of the team. I think the conference tournament should be really fun and expect quality from Maryland, Iowa, Purdue, Mich State, Wisky and IU. IU has performed very poorly in the BTT since its inception and it would be nice to play well. IU has played the past few games without Robert Johnson - a sophomore starting guard who is one of our better defenders and pushes our best outside shooter, Zeisloft, to the bench. Johnson should be healthy for the BTT.

I am more interested in seeing how the conference does in the NCAAs. I think the conference has a very real shot at getting four teams in the Sweet 16, but that could depend on seedings and matchups.

Calling posters "trolls" and "clueless" doesn't say much about your intelligence level. I'm guessing your a 30 something still living in your parents' basement.

Calling you clueless was reactionary and wrong, I should've been above that. But the trolling is completely accurate and it is not just with the Terps, but with the Ravens and O's too, but I will drop it at that.

Go Terps.

Wow, tough critic. Are you seeing dominant teams I'm not aware of? Kansas and Michigan State are probably at the top of the class right now, but with all the parity in college basketball today, I don't see how you can't put Indiana in that next tier of teams.

Yeah but let's be honest, Terps have more talent than Indiana (at least when you consider NBA talent. Indiana doesn't have anyone worthy of a draft pick in the next NBA draft). This team is much better than they are playing that's why everyone is frustrated. This should be a top 5 team with the talent they have. Poor coaching has to go into it. I mean if i see Stone or Carter try to dribble through a double team again.....

Melo doesn't look like a first round pick anymore, I doubt he leaves unless he has a breakout NCAA tourney. Stone is still a 1st round pick but a late one. Jake is a late 2nd rounder IMO. Sulaimon goes undrafted but still get's a chance at the NBA.

Yeah but let's be honest, Terps have more talent than Indiana (at least when you consider NBA talent. Indiana doesn't have anyone worthy of a draft pick in the next NBA draft). This team is much better than they are playing that's why everyone is frustrated. This should be a top 5 team with the talent they have. Poor coaching has to go into it. I mean if i see Stone or Carter try to dribble through a double team again.....

Melo doesn't look like a first round pick anymore, I doubt he leaves unless he has a breakout NCAA tourney. Stone is still a 1st round pick but a late one. Jake is a late 2nd rounder IMO. Sulaimon goes undrafted but still get's a chance at the NBA.

I think you need to be honest with yourself. The CBSSports draft prospect ranking of the top 150 for the 2016 draft includes three UMd guys - Stone (17), Trimble (30) and Carter (105) and three Hoosiers - Bryant (27), Ferrell (64) and Williams (75). I have heard from the IU Rivals site of some projections of Bryant in the top 20 - we'll see, but posts stating "IU doesn't have anyone worth of a draft pick in the next draft" reflect pure ignorance. Bryant and Stone have been battling for several years as the top centers for the class of 2015 with Stone considered to have the edge. IU also has a 5* McDonald's All American James Blackmon out for the year - who had a late first/early second round grade last year according to scouts and was without another 4* starting guard on Sunday.

The IU team also benefits from two fifth year guys who were transfers in Biefieldt (announced as B1G 6th man of the year yesterday) and Zeisloft who were making some threes on Sunday and two other freshman besides Bryant who were pulling in rebounds and scoring up close.

Sunday's game was an 18 point affair and followed a blow-out last year at Assembly Hall and a nail-biter on Maryland's home floor with IU missing three open 3s in the last minute or so that could have won that game.

I would disagree about which team has more overall talent but it's an open and fair question. However, I feel quite comfortable saying that the IU team is better constructed with senior leadership with a deeper bench. All that said, IMO, we are talking about two top 15 teams. I see no need to trash IU relative to Maryland though it is difficult to believe Maryland is a top 5 team on talent alone.

If I had to point out one thing, because I have seen the switch go on with Yogi this year, it is that Trimble has to completely take over leadership, lead with effort on the court and in preparation and play hard for a full game and, if need be, try to will his team to victory. I did not see that from Trimble on Sunday and, with Robert Johnson hurt, Trimble went several possessions being guarded by Zeisloft which should have been a total mismatch.

I would agree with you. Gary Williams, in his prime, was a fabulous coach and I include his time at BC and Ohio State. Gary almost singlehandidly saved Maryland basketball when it went on probation. I will concede his last years were not good, although I will go to my grave thinking we got screwed the year we beat Duke twice and didn't make the NCAAs. In retrospect perhaps I've been guilty of overrating this MD team thinking like some on this board that Stone would deliver us to the Promised Land. What we have seen is something far less to the point where many, including myself, would not be surprised to see a first round exit. I certainly don't question Turgeons ability to recruit but his coaching ability is very suspect to a point where a lot of good talent is either wasted or fails to develop. He also has, in my opinion, an ongoing inability to develop a bench and that seems obvious in a lot of these late season games. In closing, I'm sure Turgeon has several years on his contract but by some chance he decides to move on, I for one would shed no tears. Hope this clarifies a few things and BTW I have been following MD basketball since the days of John Lucas and Len Elmore.

Great post. I hope the Terps somehow play up to their ability in the tournament but for now, I'm going to assume they will be eliminated before the Sweet 16.

I would agree with you. Gary Williams, in his prime, was a fabulous coach and I include his time at BC and Ohio State. Gary almost singlehandidly saved Maryland basketball when it went on probation. I will concede his last years were not good, although I will go to my grave thinking we got screwed the year we beat Duke twice and didn't make the NCAAs. In retrospect perhaps I've been guilty of overrating this MD team thinking like some on this board that Stone would deliver us to the Promised Land. What we have seen is something far less to the point where many, including myself, would not be surprised to see a first round exit. I certainly don't question Turgeons ability to recruit but his coaching ability is very suspect to a point where a lot of good talent is either wasted or fails to develop. He also has, in my opinion, an ongoing inability to develop a bench and that seems obvious in a lot of these late season games. In closing, I'm sure Turgeon has several years on his contract but by some chance he decides to move on, I for one would shed no tears. Hope this clarifies a few things and BTW I have been following MD basketball since the days of John Lucas and Len Elmore.

Good post. Much better than hey the Terps stink right after a tough loss with a goofy sunglassed emoticon, hope you could understand how that could cause a reaction.

I do miss GW as well. Incredible in game coach, they way he could stop negative momentum and turn it to positive on a dime was incredible.

As for this team, my expectations have definitely lessened, but I am still really enjoying one of our better seasons and still feel strongly that at least a sweet 16 berth is probable and a final four is not out of the question. They seem to be a streaky team and each player having his own streaks of good and bad games, but if most of the starting 5 (because yes our bench is a major issue) can find at the same time, we could be in for a nice ride!

Stone is probably still in the 10-15 range for the draft. No way would I risk injury or regression to move up a few spots.

Whoever is responsible for coaching up the bigs, especially from the defensive side, is failing miserably.

And, yeah, I hope we eventually discover the cause of the mysterious regression of Trimble. How a guy could go from elite to almost liability seemingly overnight is such a head scratcher.

I think you need to be honest with yourself. The CBSSports draft prospect ranking of the top 150 for the 2016 draft includes three UMd guys - Stone (17), Trimble (30) and Carter (105) and three Hoosiers - Bryant (27), Ferrell (64) and Williams (75). I have heard from the IU Rivals site of some projections of Bryant in the top 20 - we'll see, but posts stating "IU doesn't have anyone worth of a draft pick in the next draft" reflect pure ignorance. Bryant and Stone have been battling for several years as the top centers for the class of 2015 with Stone considered to have the edge. IU also has a 5* McDonald's All American James Blackmon out for the year - who had a late first/early second round grade last year according to scouts and was without another 4* starting guard on Sunday.

The IU team also benefits from two fifth year guys who were transfers in Biefieldt (announced as B1G 6th man of the year yesterday) and Zeisloft who were making some threes on Sunday and two other freshman besides Bryant who were pulling in rebounds and scoring up close.

Sunday's game was an 18 point affair and followed a blow-out last year at Assembly Hall and a nail-biter on Maryland's home floor with IU missing three open 3s in the last minute or so that could have won that game.

I would disagree about which team has more overall talent but it's an open and fair question. However, I feel quite comfortable saying that the IU team is better constructed with senior leadership with a deeper bench. All that said, IMO, we are talking about two top 15 teams. I see no need to trash IU relative to Maryland though it is difficult to believe Maryland is a top 5 team on talent alone.

If I had to point out one thing, because I have seen the switch go on with Yogi this year, it is that Trimble has to completely take over leadership, lead with effort on the court and in preparation and play hard for a full game and, if need be, try to will his team to victory. I did not see that from Trimble on Sunday and, with Robert Johnson hurt, Trimble went several possessions being guarded by Zeisloft which should have been a total mismatch.

I wasn't familiar with the CBS ranking and they do rate some guys highly on there. I'm just going off all the mock drafts and none have any Hoosiers. If Bryant comes out I bet he gets picked in late 1st but I'd take Stone over Bryant any day. Yogi is too small but maybe he can be the next Isaiah Thomas. He is what Trimble was last year but smaller.

Either way this year's team appears to now be worse than last years. And that makes no sense because this team is clearly more talented.