Machado13

Fowler: "Orioles wanted me to pay them..."

And yet the players don't think it unfair that they can sing a multi year GUARANTEED contract get hurt or otherwise not perform and still get paid for years

to be a replacement level or worse player. I think if the owners back down on the FA compensation system I'll stop paying attention to baseball all together

I do believe you will.

• Upvote 1

He should have taken the QO. It will likely be the "highest" yearly salary he will ever make in his career, just like Wieters. The title is misleading, the O's wanted him to pay?? It is actually the Cubs wanted to be paid for losing him, so he rewards the Cubs by taking less than the QO. I do not believe anything that comes out of his or his agents mouth. For them to be still talking and trying to justify it weeks later sort of nails it IMO on who really messed up.

One would think he would take his ire out on the Cubs for giving him a qualifying offer and putting him in that situation. Seems pretty narcissistic to blame a club for trying to sign him and not empathize what they have to give up to sign him. Pretty small mind to think that a contract with a 1 year opt-out would be fair to a team giving up a draft pick.

One would think he would take his ire out on the Cubs for giving him a qualifying offer and putting him in that situation. Seems pretty narcissistic to blame a club for trying to sign him and not empathize what they have to give up to sign him. Pretty small mind to think that a contract with a 1 year opt-out would be fair to a team giving up a draft pick.

The Cubs are this year's media darlings. And if the play great, Fowler will have made a good choice. Otherwise, he and his agent were fools. There was no "paying" when everyone else tied to compensation has found a deal and you are the last one standing.

His value was gone and he liked to say it was because of the pick. But it was because of his own value. Well, you know what they say about spotting the sucker in the poker table in 20 minutes.

Hilarious. Fowler said a day or two after signing with the Cubs that his decision not to take the Orioles' offer had nothing to do with the opt out - right after his agent said that it had everything to do with the opt out. Now Fowler says it had to do with the opt out. These guys can't get their stories straight, and Fowler just plain doesn't know when to shut up.

• Upvote 1

What does "pay them" even mean in this context?

Is it - we think you're worth $X over N years, but since the pick is worth $Y we are only willing to pay you $(X-Y) ?

That's not really "pay them" by the same meaning any reasonable person would normally presume. It's closer to: the Orioles were considering the cost of the pick when deciding how much they were willing to pay Fowler - which would seem to be exactly the same as every other team.

• Upvote 1

Hilarious. Fowler said a day or two after signing with the Cubs that his decision not to take the Orioles' offer had nothing to do with the opt out - right after his agent said that it had everything to do with the opt out. Now Fowler says it had to do with the opt out. These guys can't get their stories straight, and Fowler just plain doesn't know when to shut up.
The more he opens his mouth, the more I am glad, he signed back with the Cubs.

I wanted Fowler over Alvarez for numerous reasons (on-base percentage, defense, speed.)

Now that it's over, I (like yourself) am a huge Pedro Alvarez fan.

Same here.

Whatever he needs to do to justify signing for less than the QO, fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk