GeorgiaBird

Rays sign Longoria to long-term deal

This seems a little unnecessary so early in his career and a little risky. But hey, they didn't lose out too much on the Baldelli deal and he got a similar contract. So like one of you said Tampa seems to be setting their own precedent and it seems to be working for them so far. Being in their economic situation for as long as they have been demands they spend creatively so it makes sense that they have worked out a good system, much like Oakland.

Rays were working on this in spring training, and it would have been announced with Longoria still in Durham if not for all of the injuries. Sort of says what they think of him, and with Upton and Kaz reluctant to do this sort of a thing meet the face of the franchise.

The breakdown, fwiw...

2008: $500,000

2009: $550,000

2010: $950,000

2011: $2 M

2012: $4.5 M

2013: $6 M

2014: $7.5 M

Buyouts: 2014: $3 M

2015: $1 M

(If option picked up)

2015: $11 M

2016: $11.5 M

The breakdown, fwiw...

2008: $500,000

2009: $550,000

2010: $950,000

2011: $2 M

2012: $4.5 M

2013: $6 M

2014: $7.5 M

Buyouts: 2014: $3 M

2015: $1 M

(If option picked up)

2015: $11 M

2016: $11.5 M

Don't forget about the $19M guarenteed if he is never send back down to the minors.

They already did Shields, Crawford could follow before the All Star break, and of course Kaz is their Bedard who probably won't but they are trying.

And Crawford signed a 4 year deal in 2005 and had to option years on it for 09 and 10.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080401&content_id=2478547&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

It's risky, but this is what the Rays need to do to compete long term. They might not be able to afford extending their young stars for the same time period in just a couple years. At least not without leaving them in a adverse position financially to fill out the rest of the team.

I think its a smart move for the Rays, it has 3 outcomes that I see.

1. He fufills his talent and they get a steal, which is a different path for them as we know. Most players who play well get traded or the team has to trade them due to team salary.

2. He tanks and they aren't out a WHOLE lot of money.

3. With this contract it makes it easy to move him in a season or two if either he isn't what they expect or if other players on their team turn out better than their projections. He has so much potential even if he struggles for awhile many teams would still give up value for him, especially with the favorable salary. Even if he doesn't struggle they could move him to fill more needs later down the road. A multi-year deal that isn't high in salary is easy to move, or at least easier than if they had given him a lot of money or a 1-2 year deal.

The Rays are paying Rocco Baldelli $9m for his 127 games that he has played under the contract extension he signed in November of 2005.

2006 - $2.00m

2007 - $0.75m

2008 - $2.25m

2009 - $4.00m buyout

Cot's

But most injuries only last for one season and for some pitchers, maybe a year an a half, but what Baldelli has is the extreme extreme injury.

But most injuries only last for one season and for some pitchers, maybe a year an a half, but what Baldelli has is the extreme extreme injury.

Word. This is an incredibly risk averse deal for Longoria.

In addition to a freak circumstance, Baldelli wasn't nearly as highly regarded as Longoria.

Longoria basically hasn't played in MLB and they want to lock him up.

Baldelli had two seasons of sub 765 OPS ball, got hurt and missed a year, and then signed his extension with the Rays in November of 2005 that guaranteed him 9 MILLION

Longoria's upside is mad higher than Baldelli's. Its basically Miggy Cabrera like (he can play some D, actually supposed "good" D).

He got a check for 3 million just over two years ago and makes 400K this year if he never plays again tomorrow. And if he is risk averse, he can throw a million or so at Loyd's of London and buy injury insurance, so he can probably leverage that into 5 million or so, meaning he makes 7.5 or so if he is out tomorrow.

As Baldelli demonstrates, he'll make some loot even if he collapses and struggles and has crazy injuries (perhaps even being out for a full year). MLB team's love promise.

Again, Baldelli wasn't good for two years, missed a full season with injury and got what I believe is 9 million guaranteed from this same team 2 years ago. (06:$2M, 07:$0.75M, 08:$2.25M, 09:$6M club option ($4M buyout) link

So a bare minimum of 7.5 millionish now, lets say 10 million if he unbelievably fails but doesn't basically die, which is an incredibly conservative number as Baldelli demonstrates. And this is basically the worst case.

This deal guarantees him 19 million (plus the 3 mill in signing bonus from 2 years ago - the 19 includes this season).

Doing calculations at his salary upside lost makes me ill. His agent just gave the Rays tens of millions in EV. Wow

The Rays are paying Rocco Baldelli $9m for his 127 games that he has played under the contract extension he signed in November of 2005.

2006 - $2.00m

2007 - $0.75m

2008 - $2.25m

2009 - $4.00m buyout

Cot's

Hello, freak injury!

Bump. Anyone think the Evan Longoria deal is a bad deal now for the Rays?

His OPS is up to .876 for the season. Longoria's OPS in June was 1.024, with eight homeruns. His VORP is 21.1, putting him right around the Nick Markakis level in his rookie season.

The Rays were progressive in inking Longoria for so cheaply before he made a big splash in the majors, and adding three cheap option years to make it a nine year deal total. The Rays' front office should be commended for some good drafting, great trades, and inking their young stars to cheap, long term deals.

It's already too late to get Markakis to sign such a cheap long term deal. But, the Orioles need to start thinking this way for players like Matt Wieters in the future.

It will be interesting to see if Wieters (and Boras) agree to such a deal. That is not their style.

As for Longoria, the defense is the thing that really has surprised me. Wow he looks like he belongs, which is something for someone who has been in pro ball so little.

Bump. Anyone think the Evan Longoria deal is a bad deal now for the Rays?

Hell no. Like I said the first time I saw him, he's a freak. He's got the best bat speed I've ever seen. And he's clearly got baseball instincts. If I could design a position player, it would be him.