Sign in to follow this  
Frobby

Thoughts on the NCAA Tourney Brackets?

Speaking as a Duke fan, I thought they got off incredibly easy being the no. 4 seed in the West, with Oregon, Oklahoma, Texas A&M and Baylor slotted 1, 2, 3 and 5. Duke's roster is too thin for them to repeat as national champions, and they could lose to Baylor, but it also would not shock me if they made it to the Final Four because the competition isn't exactly scary.

Judging by both the Sagarin and Pomeroy rankings, I'd say that the East region is the toughest, followed by the Midwest, the South and the West, with the West being by far the worst region.

Yeah, Duke got off pretty easy, which is typical from my biased point of view.

Xavier is a really good, and overlooked team. I could see them making it to the Ginal 4.

It seems like ratings match ups took precedent over seeding. (Kentucky/Indiana, Texas/Texas A&M). This also seems to be reflected in who made it in. I'm sick of seeing mediocre, big time schools (Michigan, Syracuse) make it in over teams without all the built in advantages (Monmouth, St. Bonnie).

I'd really love to see UVA make a deep run. Love their style of play. They'll have to make shots, unlike what they did against UNC.

There are some oddities with the seedings and bubble teams, as always. I agree with some of the analysts who have said that the committee should set a clearer hierarchy of criteria.

As a UNC fan, I still think they are a top contender, but their chance of winning dips some with this bracket. West Virginia looks like the best 3 seed and Kentucky looks like the best 4 seed, and UNC will likely have to go through both if they want to get to the Final Four.

o

I'm a North Carolina fan.

This team is reminiscent of the 2005, 2009, and 2012 teams in terms of their chances to win it all.

The 2012 team's chances took a big hit when Kendall Marshall broke his wrist in the 2nd round of the tournament. They still made the Elite 8 when a gritty Stilman White did a very serviceable job by playing 60 minutes at the point without a turnover over their next 2 games against Ohio and Kansas.

FWIW, I have totally lost confidence in both the NCAA basketball and football selection committees. I don't know which is worse. For me, it all started in one of GW's final years when we beat vaunted Duke twice and was sent to the NIT for our efforts. I will NEVER get over that one.:mad:

GW = Gary Williams? For a minute I thought you meant George Washington University.

And pardon me, but in the year in question, 2005, Maryland went 16-12 before they were turned down for the NCAA Tournament, including a 7-9 regular season record in the ACC and a first round loss in the ACC Tournament. Can you honestly say that two wins over Duke justifies an NCAA Tournament bid despite that weak of a season? Frankly, I don't think it is anywhere close.