Sign in to follow this  
paulcoates

Adam LaRoche is retiring; is there a deal to be made with the White Sox

You and me both. Apparently LaRoche just put out his statement on why he left. Good choice on his part to choose family over job. Wish more people would do that

Sent from Neverneverland using James Hetfield's voice

Is his daughter not part of the family? Why does she go to school, but not the son?

He's obviously not being given a real education. Sounds to me like he's not doing what's best for his family.

• Upvote 1

You and me both. Apparently LaRoche just put out his statement on why he left. Good choice on his part to choose family over job. Wish more people would do that.

Is his daughter not part of the family? Why does she go to school, but not the son?

He's obviously not being given a real education. Sounds to me like he's not doing what's best for his family.

Also, LaRoche walked away from the game AFTER he had already earned $71 Million between 2007 and 2015. So, it's not like he did something extraordinary by choosing to retire from playing baseball with money still on the table, whatever his reasons were.

The majority of people in our society do not have the type of financial luxury for which they can quit their jobs at 35 years-old after having already earned enough money to send their kids and maybe even their grand-kids to college.

I have often heard the argument from sports radio hosts regarding how a player who is past his prime and getting $20 Million a year should not be expected to walk away from $20 Million. And they rhetorically ask the caller, "Would YOU walk away from $20 Million?"

Well, what the radio host is not taking into consideration is that the player in question had already earned $200 Million (and sometimes more) prior to that season late in his career, and he's asking sports fans, most of whom probably make between $50,000 and $100,000 per year if they would walk away from $20 Million ...... which is an absurd analogy, for obvious reasons.

Also, LaRoche walked away from the game AFTER he had already earned $71 Million between 2007 and 2015. So, it's not like he did something extraordinary by choosing to retire from playing baseball with money still on the table, whatever his reasons were.

The majority of people in our society do not have the type of financial luxury for which they can quit their jobs at 35 years-old after having already earned enough money to send their kids and maybe even their grand-kids to college.

I have often heard the argument from sports radio hosts regarding how a player who is past his prime and getting $20 Million a year should not be expected to walk away from $20 Million. And they rhetorically ask the caller, "Would YOU walk away from $20 Million?"

Well, what the radio host is not taking into consideration is that the player in question already has earned $200 Million (and sometimes more) prior to that season late in his career, and he's asking sports fans, most of whom probably make between $50,000 and $100,000 per year if they would walk away from $20 Million ...... which is an absurd analogy, for obvious reasons.

I would not be surprised if there was some sort of buyout involved with his departure.

Lol, why is that any of your business?

My father spent his years in HS in various shop classes.

He doesn't read for pleasure, I've never seen him do algebra or geometry. His knowledge of history is limited in scope.

He was perfectly able to raise my sister and myself as a single Dad and despite being aggravating to talk current events with, he's had a successful life.

Why is any of it anyone's business? Laroche is putting it out for public consumption. He wants sympathy for not getting to bring his son to work, without putting him in school. But, it's not fair game to ask about the other members of the family?

• Upvote 1

Personally, I would be annoyed if one of my coworkers brought his kid to work everyday, not surprisingly, it sounds like some of his coworkers felt the same way.

• Upvote 2

Personally, I would be annoyed if one of my coworkers brought his kid to work everyday, not surprisingly, it sounds like some of his coworkers felt the same way.

I'm annoyed that some of my coworkers bring themselves to work every day.

• Upvote 1

The guys on the NYY broadcast had the same question about why the boy and not the girl. So it is a question being asked. So did my wife.

Spot on.

"Chances are there were players, coaches, and executives annoyed about the liberties LaRoche took with his kid coming in all the damn time, but simply sat silent until LaRoche's production slipped and he became mortal. Thus, new season = new leaf = your kid doesn't need to be here 100 percent of the time.

"It has nothing to do with Drake, or with punishing Adam, and everything to do with what a locker room is meant to be?a workplace. It can be juvenile, fun, and look anything like work at times, but it's still a huge part of a player's routine. LaRoche recognizes this, too. In a statement he released today, he wrote:

"Though I clearly indicated to both teams the importance of having my son with me, I also made clear that if there was ever a moment when a teammate, coach or manager was made to feel uncomfortable, then I would immediately address it. I realize that this is their office and their career, and it would not be fair to the team if anybody in the clubhouse was unhappy with the situation." "

The guys on the NYY broadcast had the same question about why the boy and not the girl. So it is a question being asked. So did my wife.

I heard it asked. Several times.

Why is any of it anyone's business? Laroche is putting it out for public consumption. He wants sympathy for not getting to bring his son to work, without putting him in school. But, it's not fair game to ask about the other members of the family?

His daughter and son get the same education. Probably better than 95% of the kids in this country. They aren't "home schooled" in the traditional sense. They attend a public school during the off season and have a curriculum established by that school. It is then administered by the Silvan Learning Centers, as they are nationwide. All of this information is available by doing a google search on Drake LaRoche.

I may not agree with this approach but it's far from being no/poor education or misogynistic.

• Upvote 1