Sign in to follow this  
PressBoxOnline

Dan Connolly: For Now, Orioles Should Sacrifice Future For Present

Love the logic, Is a 14th pick likely to produce what Gallardo has already produced for other teams?

Who cares?

I care about what Gallardo is going to produce going forward.

Since a team like the Orioles needs cost controlled talent to succeed on a continuing basis, their lack of an ability to develop players is not an excuse to give away draft picks.

Love the logic, Is a 14th pick likely to produce what Gallardo has already produced for other teams?

Who cares?

I care about what Gallardo is going to produce going forward.

Since a team like the Orioles needs cost controlled talent to succeed on a continuing basis, their lack of an ability to develop players is not an excuse to give away draft picks.

It looks like the O's will carry 4 rookies in Bundy, Givens, Kim and Rickard. Only two came from the draft. There are other ways to get talent.

That doesn't count other imexpensive players Wilson, Wright, Despaigne, Drake, Walker, Avery, and Janish who look like they could contribute this year.

It looks like the O's will carry 4 rookies in Bundy, Givens, Kim and Rickard. Only two came from the draft. There are other ways to get talent.

That doesn't count other imexpensive players Wilson, Wright, Despaigne, Drake, Walker, Avery, and Janish who look like they could contribute this year.

Yes the Orioles, like every other team, have a stable of guys able to come in and add replacement level value.

Yes the Orioles, like every other team, have a stable of guys able to come in and add replacement level value.

Yes, and Bundy maybe be a future #1.

Givens maybe a future closer.

Rickard could be a high OBP leadoff hitter.

Walker could be a replacement for 9M Trumbo or 5.75m Alvarez next year.

Not all the additive players are or will become replacement level players with any luck at all.

Yes, and Bundy maybe be a future #1.

Givens maybe a future closer.

Rickard could be a high OBP leadoff hitter.

Walker could be a replacement for 9M Trumbo or 5.75m Alvarez next year.

Not all the additive players are or will become replacement level players with any luck at all.

Bundy, and Givens were high draft picks, you know, the type that Connolly wants to give up.

I don't think you can look at the current farm system and say the way Dan has been doing things is working.

Bundy, and Givens were high draft picks, you know, the type that Connolly wants to give up.

I don't think you can look at the current farm system and say the way Dan has been doing things is working.

Oh, i don't know. 4 years of .500 or better. Two playoff seasons and a division title. Harvey, Garcia and Tanner Scott look pretty impressive. Walker looks like a guy that shows how Norfolk can disguise a ypung hitters potential. A lot of people like Reyes. Sisco is getting kudos for his bat. Mancini a batting title champion with power.

When Dan can go and add a guy like Rickard for nothing it makes me think he knows what he is doing. It also helps that he has gotten Peter to add 50M to the payroll in the last 4 years. That puts the O's in a higher category with the kind of players that can afford to keep or acquire.

Remember the O's were in the playoffs last year a both the AAA and AA levels. They pull players from both of those levels to stay competitive doing the year.

Edited by wildcard

Oh, i don't know. 4 years of .500 or better. Two playoff seasons and a division title. Harvey, Garcia and Tanner Scott look pretty impressive. Walker looks like a guy that shows how Norfolk can disguise a ypung hitters potential. A lot of people like Reyes. Sisco is getting kudos for his bat. Mancini a batting title champion with power.

When Dan can go and add a guy like Richard for nothing it makes me think he knows what he is doing. It also helps that he has gotten Peter to add 50M to the payroll in the last 4 years. That put the O's in a higher category with the kind of players that can afford to keep or acquire.

Remember the O's were in the playoffs last year a both the AAA and AA levels. They pull players from both of those levels to stay competitive doing the year.

He's looked good so far but let's give it some time before lauding the move too much.

You can also color me unimpressed that Dan can field a AAA team that can reach the playoffs despite being practically devoid of actual prospects.

Whatever the O's have on the farm, around 26 other teams have it better.

He's looked good so far but let's give it some time before lauding the move too much.

You can also color me unimpressed that Dan can field a AAA team that can reach the playoffs despite being practically devoid of actual prospects.

Yeah. I don't actually care about that. I care about wins at the MLB level. And we have had plenty of those. If Bundy and Harvey and Lee all hit, the team is better than some of those 26.

Yeah. I don't actually care about that. I care about wins at the MLB level. And we have had plenty of those. If Bundy and Harvey and Lee all hit, the team is better than some of those 26.

It's going to start being an issue at the MLB very soon.

Maybe this year soon.

Walker, Wright, Wilson, Davies and Drake were all prospects at Norfolk last year. All but Davies will likely help the O's in the majors this year.

Walker, Wright, Wilson, Davies and Drake were all prospect at Norfolk last year. All but Davies will likely help the O's in the majors this year.

If by help you mean eat up some innings than I agree with you.

Every team has a group of those players. The two most promising on your list were either traded away or blocked at his proper position by Dan.