Ohfan67

Orioles trying to get out of Kim contract? (Kim stays on roster)

I think they will keep Kim, play a man down, exercise roster/option roulette to get through it and have him work with Brady exclusively. Maybe pinch running or pinch hitting against a young right-hander.

Kim also would have like seven at bats in three weeks. Don't see how sitting him on the bench would help that.

Kim also would have like seven at bats in three weeks. Don't see how sitting him on the bench would help that.

It would not be to help that. You don't give a man seven million without trying to train him up to be worth it. I just believe that there will be running and weight work. While on the roster. Unless he changes his mind and tries playing. In Norfolk.

It would not be to help that. You don't give a man seven million without trying to train him up to be worth it. I just believe that there will be running and weight work. While on the roster. Unless he changes his mind and tries playing. In Norfolk.

In fact I think they might do batting practice with a high velocity machine too. Since that appears to be the main issue.

In fact I think they might do batting practice with a high velocity machine too. Since that appears to be the main issue.

I still don't understand why after Buck said this and met with him that after that his playing time almost went to almost zero. Did Kim make a pass at Showalter's wife or daughter?

Now he has sat around and is going to sit on the bench. Strange.

It's no secret that South Korean outfielder Hyun Soo Kim has been struggling to adjust to major league pitching this spring. But Orioles manager Buck Showalter said after Wednesday's multihit performance against the Pittburgh Pirates that Kim looked more like the player he saw on video before signing him.

Showalter met with Kim on Tuesday night along with Kim's interpreter and former Korean major leaguer Hee Seop Choi, who has joined the Orioles as a guest coach in minor league camp this month.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/schmuck-blog/bal-showalter-kim-had-good-look-in-his-eye-20160317-story.html

In this case, there is no way to defend the Orioles actions, from the scouting and signing of Kim to the way he was handled during spring training, to the leaks to the media about asking him to be demoted before actually asking him. It's just been amateur hour the whole way, a manifestation of all the worst tendencies in Showalter and Duquette.

I mean, I can't think of a single justifiable reason for benching Kim for the last two weeks of spring training. If you think his defense sucks, then coach him some more. Or try another position. Or make some kind of minimal effort to see if the guy you signed to a $7 million guaranteed contract might have some use to the Major League team.

Honestly the whole thing is embarrassing, and I'm not one to usually blame the Orioles like this.

I couldn't agree more.

Wouldn't surprise me to see one of those TLC/Bravo TV stations come and film a reality show in the O's FO: The Real Screwups of Baltimore.

I still don't understand why after Buck said this and met with him that after that his playing time almost went to almost zero. Did Kim make a pass at Showalter's wife or daughter?

Now he has sat around and is going to sit on the bench. Strange.

It's no secret that South Korean outfielder Hyun Soo Kim has been struggling to adjust to major league pitching this spring. But Orioles manager Buck Showalter said after Wednesday's multihit performance against the Pittburgh Pirates that Kim looked more like the player he saw on video before signing him.

Showalter met with Kim on Tuesday night along with Kim's interpreter and former Korean major leaguer Hee Seop Choi, who has joined the Orioles as a guest coach in minor league camp this month.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/schmuck-blog/bal-showalter-kim-had-good-look-in-his-eye-20160317-story.html

I believe that Kim was no longer in competetion for the opening day spot according to Buck, he said as much. Then it was left to Dan to try to handle it. And during that time, no play, no injury.

I mean, just release the poor guy, eat the 7M and be done with it. Obviously Kim's not good enough to make the ML team, and we can't afford to have him rot away on the bench with our pitching, so spare everyone any more drama/bad PR and cut bait.

81 pages on this fiasco, amazing.

Why does this kind of stuff always seem to happen to the Orioles. I mean you can't make this stuff up. It's terrible how we seem to look like a bunch of bumbling idiots all the time. Pretty soon, no player is going to want to play for us.

http://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2016/04/01/official-statement-kim-orioles-mess/

Frankly, the best thing for Kim to do is accept the assignment to the minors and try to get the swing back that made him one of Korea’s most feared hitters. The Orioles can be accused of many things, but not promoting worthy players isn’t one of them. If Duquette and Showalter think Kim can help the ballclub, he’ll be called up soon enough.

But the Orioles gave Kim the clause in his contract allowing him to refuse a minor league assignment. Before we paint him as selfish, he is within his rights here. And he was basically the Tony Gwynn of Korea. To hit like that, anywhere, he certainly has to have both talent and confidence.

Yet Kim did not play like a major leaguer in his small sampling this spring, starting the exhibition season 0-for-23 and ending up 8-for-44 with no extra base hits.

One scout that watched him several times this spring was unimpressed with both Kim’s offense:

“He’s easily overmatched by fastballs and he looked to be afraid to get deep into counts,” the scout said. “He was just hacking and getting himself out early in counts.”

And, even more so, Kim’s defense:

“He gets slow jumps and reads, takes bad routes to balls. There’s not much arm strength and he doesn’t run well. He doesn’t look particularly athletic out there. Basically, if he doesn’t hit, and hit a lot, then you don’t have anything.”

The Orioles aren’t releasing Kim and eating the $7 million.

Dan Connolly's take.

Someone is going to blink before rosters are set Sunday.

My guess is it’s Kim, because there is no satisfaction in sitting on the bench and not playing. Especially for someone who reportedly loves baseball so much. Especially for someone who stressed how badly he wanted to play in the majors. One bad month certainly won’t satisfy that yearning.

I guess they will have to waive Nolan to make this work. With his contract, I expect him to clear and he would have an agreement and opt out added of course.

Why would they have to cut Reimold? I don't see that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The icing on the cake was leaking that he would be DH at Norfolk behind Walker, Dariel, Avery, Borbon, etc. Just seems disingenuous to say he needs more time and then stash him in Norfolk as DH. He would be a fool to accept the assignment, and for anyone to say it might be in his interest to go down there and get more time is not paying attention.

Now that we have said we aren't taking him on the 25 and he has refused the assignment, I wonder how this plays out. If Connolly is right, the Orioles will eat crow and carry Kim on the 25, creating a mutually toxic situation that is bad for Kim and costs the team a roster spot. I do not understand why we would play hardball with Kim and then relent in a move that does not work for either party. I don't blame Kim one bit here. The right move in a bad situation is to eat the money but with all the craziness this spring I would not be surprised to see them relent and take Kim on the 25.

I guess they will have to waive Nolan to make this work. With his contract, I expect him to clear and he would have an agreement and opt out added of course.

I believe they have an open spot now. This would guarantee that Janish exercises his opt out and Flaherty is our backup OF (no Avery or Alvarez).

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Survived another spring training. Heading home. And remembering happier times with this guy (and interpreter) <a href="https://t.co/p69zKxDAEM">pic.twitter.com/p69zKxDAEM</a></p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">April 1, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>