SticksandStones

Orioles Release Miguel Gonzalez

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> have given right-hander Miguel Gonzalez his unconditional release, according to an industry source.</p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

">March 30, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Wow

The
#Orioles
have given right-hander Miguel Gonzalez his unconditional release, according to an industry source.
— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard)
March 30, 2016

<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Wow

Wow is right.

Sad day, I am a huge Gonzo fan, but if he can't do the job, then move him out of the way.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Miguel Gonzalez will be on waivers for the next 48 hours. After that, he becomes a free agent. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a></p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

">March 30, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I did not see that coming.

Did he decline being sent to AAA?

Uh... ... ... Really? I thought he had an option.

They may have terminated the contract to save money.

Melewski had this to say about last night's game:

Last night, he allowed one run in five innings against the Braves. The MASN cameras and radar gun showed his fastball topping at 88 mph in the early innings. He was not a flame-thrower to begin with and had a night where he didn't walk a batter and threw some very good split-finger fastballs, showing his solid out pitch can still be effective.

How much money does this save? 100% the right decision given his performance this spring. I'm just shocked they're doing it given their loyalty, how important he was in the past, etc. I'm not happy that Gonzo has seemingly fallen apart but I'm very happy the Orioles decided to do this rather than guarantee his money and gut out a few starts with him.

I did not see that coming.

Did he decline being sent to AAA?

That's my guess.

I wonder which MLB team(s) would have interest in him as a starter??

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The problem is the Braves major league lineup isn't a major league lineup.

I was not advising that it was a mistake to keep him.

The key is his velocity is down, if you are not a frame throwing, then its going to difficult to pitch at the big league level, unless you have some very nasty stuff.

I wouldn't be shocked that there's more going on than we know. I don't know what it is, whether it be injury, lack of work ethic, falling out between both sides, I don't know, but I'm convinced there's more going on. He had a horrible spring training, but there has to be more in play when you release a guy who you apparently had an option on and you're already thin at the big league level starting pitching department.