blueberryale77

Belated Sun article on the Dempsey gaffe

I thought this was over days ago, but today it's in the Sun...

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-sp.maese508,0,2398453.column?coll=bal-sports-baseball

Kind of an interesting read. One of those jokes you almost laugh at and then feel guilty about. I also didn't realize Laura kept her last name when she married Jay... I've seen her referred to as "Mrs. Gibbons" a lot. Good for her. She may be very pretty and blonde but she doesn't seem like your typical bimbo baseball wife at all.

Good for her? I didn't realize that was encouraged now. It's nice that she's smart and a successful lawyer but a woman that keeps her name (who isn't a major celebrity and hasn't been married before) pretty much tells me about everything I need to know.

The Dempsey "gaffe" was hilarious. I laughed and didn't feel guilty. Oh, I also oppose domestic violence.

• Upvote 2

Good for her? I didn't realize that was encouraged now. It's nice that she's smart and a successful lawyer but a woman that keeps her name (who isn't a major celebrity and hasn't been married before) pretty much tells me about everything I need to know.

And what, pray tell, is that? None of my female friends who have gotten married have changed their names. If I ever get married, I probably won't either. What exactly does that tell you? And by the way, none of us are celebrities or on a 2nd marriage, since that apparently makes a difference.

The Dempsey "gaffe" was hilarious. I laughed and didn't feel guilty. Oh, I also oppose domestic violence.

Oh, wow, dude. Wow. Everything you need to know is an awfully narrow minded scope.

Especially since you point out the "successful lawyer" part of the equation. It's really hard, and kind of stupid and misogynistic, to make a successful person change their name. That's an unnecessary hassle.

• Upvote 1

Dude, I am SO glad I'm not you right now. You are about to get roasted :D

And what, pray tell, is that?

That she's a true believer feminist that won't even go for the slightly more palatable hyphenated name. Don't be surprised to see Gibbons ask for 8 weeks family leave next year when he has to take care of the baby. Hey, that will solve the logjam at LF, DH, and 1B!

(By the way, I'm sure you knew exactly what I meant but I didn't mind spelling it out for you.)

• Downvote 1

Dude, I am SO glad I'm not you right now. You are about to get roasted :D

I don't mind. If you can't speak freely on an anonymous message board, then where can you? I heard the comment on the original broadcast and have been waiting for the blowup ever since. I can't believe it took this long. Dempsey is the Imus of MASN!

I don't mind. If you can't speak freely on an anonymous message board, then where can you? I heard the comment on the original broadcast and have been waiting for the blowup ever since. I can't believe it took this long. Dempsey is the Imus of MASN!

Heh, not quite. That piece seemed almost like an afterthought. The whole thing screamed, he screwed up, but nobody seems to really be THAT upset about it.

Oh, wow, dude. Wow. Everything you need to know is an awfully narrow minded scope.

Especially since you point out the "successful lawyer" part of the equation. It's really hard, and kind of stupid and misogynistic, to make a successful person change their name. That's an unnecessary hassle.

I know many successful female lawyers. Only one off the top of my head kept her name when married. The rest either went with the hyphenated name or her husband's name. It certainly is an inconvenience but one that everyone understands and is ready to accommodate.

That she's a true believer feminist that won't even go for the slightly more palatable hyphenated name. Don't be surprised to see Gibbons ask for 8 weeks family leave next year when he has to take care of the baby. Hey, that will solve the logjam at LF, DH, and 1B!

(By the way, I'm sure you knew exactly what I meant but I didn't mind spelling it out for you.)

What business is it of yours what name someone goes by... and how would you like to have to sign your checks Giuliani-Gibbons?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

What the deuce are you talking about?
  • Upvote 1

I know many successful female lawyers. Only one off the top of my head kept her name when married. The rest either went with the hyphenated name or her husband's name. It certainly is an inconvenience but one that everyone understands and is ready to accommodate.

But why should they have to change their names if they don't want to? Because it makes you feel more comfortable?

Were these successful female lawyers married at the time of success?

Or married in the past 5 years?

And a hyphenated name is generally ridiculous. One of my old bosses had one of those. And both of her last names were nearly unpronounceable. She mentioned to me once she'd have done it differently but she was sort of stuck at that point because of name recognition issues.

What business is it of yours what name someone goes by... and how would you like to have to sign your checks Giuliani-Gibbons?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

It's none of my business. Did I make it my business?

I wouldn't like to sign my checks Giuliani-Gibbons. I'd sign them "Gibbons." I remember 10 years ago when people used to roll their eyes when women refused to change their names. I find it strange that cyber eyes are now rollign at me.