blueberryale77

Belated Sun article on the Dempsey gaffe

But why should they have to change their names if they don't want to? Because it makes you feel more comfortable?

They don't. I, and others, can just lose respect for the person.

What the deuce are you talking about?

It was a joke. If Gibbons and Giuliani decide to have a child, then Giuliani may want Jay to take off time to take care of the baby while she continues her legal practice. After all, why should she have to stay home, instead of Jay, during those first critical weeks?

You would lose respect for someone who doesn't change their name?

That she's a true believer feminist that won't even go for the slightly more palatable hyphenated name. Don't be surprised to see Gibbons ask for 8 weeks family leave next year when he has to take care of the baby. Hey, that will solve the logjam at LF, DH, and 1B!

(By the way, I'm sure you knew exactly what I meant but I didn't mind spelling it out for you.)

You imply that being an "true believer feminist" is a negative. And take the next logical step to imply that her husband is so emasculated by her decision to keep the same last name she has had her whole life until her legal union with a man she loves, that he stoops to the womanly duty of rearing his child.

Nice.

It's none of my business. Did I make it my business?

I wouldn't like to sign my checks Giuliani-Gibbons. I'd sign them "Gibbons." I remember 10 years ago when people used to roll their eyes when women refused to change their names. I find it strange that cyber eyes are now rollign at me.

Do you also remember a time when women weren't allowed to vote...?

Also, to your last post (at the time of this posting) that also means that many people can lose respect for you.

Hell, I offered my wife to not take my name because it's stupid, I'm not very proud of it, and it's really hard to pronounce when reading it (it's mangled 90% of the time). She ended up taking it anyway because she liked it better than her maiden name. But at least it was her choice.

What business is it of yours what name someone goes by... and how would you like to have to sign your checks Giuliani-Gibbons?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Exactly, hyphen names are brutal. (sorry to all hyphen name people here) You ladies who aren't going to change your last names, do you future kids a favor and don't make them have a hyphen.

Were these successful female lawyers married at the time of success?

Or married in the past 5 years?

On the first question, admittedly, none that I'm thinking of are partners, only associates. However, it's unclear to me how successful Giuliani is. I can't find her profile. If she is a partner, keeping her name is more acceptable but still presumptuous.

Yes, all married in the last 5 years.

Please explain why. Really, I want to know why you'd have less respect for a woman who chooses to not take her husband's name.

On the first question, admittedly, none that I'm thinking of are partners, only associates. However, it's unclear to me how successful Giuliani is. I can't find her profile. If she is a partner, keeping her name is more acceptable but still presumptuous.

Yes, all married in the last 5 years.

What the hell does someone's level of professional success have to do with whether it is acceptable for them to decide to keep their damn name?

You imply that being an "true believer feminist" is a negative. And take the next logical step to imply that her husband is so emasculated by her decision to keep the same last name she has had her whole life until her legal union with a man she loves, that he stoops to the womanly duty of rearing his child.

Nice.

Yes and sort of. I didn't mean to imply that Jay was emasculated. He was but he probably doesn't realize it because he likely agrees with everyone (but me) posting on this thread.

Without good reason? Yes, of course.

What reason does she need? What would you find acceptable? You need something more than she just wanted to keep her name? Because she isn't actually her husband's property and therefore, maintains that right, even after marriage?

Please explain why. Really, I want to know why you'd have less respect for a woman who chooses to not take her husband's name.

I've already explained. If we can imagine a world in which women never took the name of her husband, then of course it would be okay. However, it has been custom for centuries and it is incredibly presumptuous and arrogant to buck that time-honored tradition because of one's unadulterated faith in, and determination to complete, the sexual revolution that began in the 1960s.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

What the hell does someone's level of professional success have to do with whether it is acceptable for them to decide to keep their damn name?

Someone mentioned how "inconvenient" it is to change a name. Well, it's more inconvenient as one's professional success increases.