PressBoxOnline

Stan 'The Fan' Charles: Dylan Bundy-Buck Showalter Relationship Is Something Worth Watching

This is very much what my thread the other day was about.

There's no right or wrong answer.

But I'm one who feels like 120 innings for Bundy over the course of 6 months shouldn't ruin him.

And if it does, the problem is deeper.

Stan "The Fan" Charles says the Orioles' issues with overusing the bullpen should not fall on Dylan Bundy's "comeback" arm and shoulder.

https://www.pressboxonline.com/2016/04/14/dylan-bundy-buck-showalter-relationship-is-something-worth-watching

Tommy John himself went from pitching zero innings in 1975 to 207 innings in 1976. And pitched 14 years after his surgery. We baby these guys too much. If Bundy didn't want to be on the major league roster contributing he needs to find a new career.

Tommy John himself went from pitching zero innings in 1975 to 207 innings in 1976. And pitched 14 years after his surgery. We baby these guys too much. If Bundy didn't want to be on the major league roster contributing he needs to find a new career.

Who the heck said that Bundy didnt want to be contributing?

For now, two innings is enough for Bundy.

This seems arbitrary.

Throwing 3 innings instead of 2 is more about pitch count and intensity of the first 2 innings then some hard and first innings limit.

I have no problem with how Bundy is being used and hope they slowly increase his pitch counts as the season moves forward.

This seems arbitrary.

Throwing 3 innings instead of 2 is more about pitch count and intensity of the first 2 innings then some hard and first innings limit.

I have no problem with how Bundy is being used and hope they slowly increase his pitch counts as the season moves forward.

I think Buck was testing the waters, for a long relief role, which I dont see an issue with.

In 1975, Tommy John was an established, physically mature, 32 year-old, major league pitcher.

Dylan Bundy is none of those things and should be used with greater care and consideration.

In 1975, Tommy John was an established, physically mature, 32 year-old, major league pitcher.

Dylan Bundy is none of those things and should be used with greater care and consideration.

I am reading "the Arm" by Jeff Passan. Interesting book about Tommy John and pitching.Different ways teams handle pitchers,etc.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/excerpt--in--the-arm---a-search-for-the-new-frontier-of-building-healthy-baseball-pitchers-043238884-mlb.html

I am reading "the Arm" by Jeff Passan. Interesting book about Tommy John and pitching.Different ways teams handle pitchers,etc.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/excerpt--in--the-arm---a-search-for-the-new-frontier-of-building-healthy-baseball-pitchers-043238884-mlb.html

He was on 105.7 the other day, discussing the book along with current happenings in baseball. I think the take away is that different pitchers and different situations are, well, different. :-) There can be hard innings where every pitch is a grind and max effort. And there can be easy innings where guys make first pitch outs and you have a big lead to work with. You could be an older workhorse coming off of injury, or a kid who only has a few dozen innings over the past three years. Managers have to judge accordingly.

Jim Palmer has told a story about when he was a rookie charting pitches during a game. Robin Roberts (I think) had gotten to 130 pitches (or so) and Palmer went up to Weaver to tell him the pitch count. Weaver told him to shut up and sit down. He'd be able to see when Roberts was getting tired and didn't need a pitch count to tell him that. I think bringing along young pitchers or pitchers coming off of injury is a lot like that. There's no magic number like 100 innings (which Passan thought was a ridiculous standard not based on any scientific research or reasoning). A manager needs to watch to see whether the pitcher is laboring or if it's been easy going.

I think Buck can handle this. Dusty Baker, probably not so good.

He was on 105.7 the other day, discussing the book along with current happenings in baseball. I think the take away is that different pitchers and different situations are, well, different. :-) There can be hard innings where every pitch is a grind and max effort. And there can be easy innings where guys make first pitch outs and you have a big lead to work with. You could be an older workhorse coming off of injury, or a kid who only has a few dozen innings over the past three years. Managers have to judge accordingly.

Jim Palmer has told a story about when he was a rookie charting pitches during a game. Robin Roberts (I think) had gotten to 130 pitches (or so) and Palmer went up to Weaver to tell him the pitch count. Weaver told him to shut up and sit down. He'd be able to see when Roberts was getting tired and didn't need a pitch count to tell him that. I think bringing along young pitchers or pitchers coming off of injury is a lot like that. There's no magic number like 100 innings (which Passan thought was a ridiculous standard not based on any scientific research or reasoning). A manager needs to watch to see whether the pitcher is laboring or if it's been easy going.

I think Buck can handle this. Dusty Baker, probably not so good.

I think Mike Maddux is a real good pitching coach and might help Dusty out this year.

Undoubtedly.

But nobody's suggesting he should throw 200 innings.

That's not even on the table.

Hell, nobody's even suggesting 150.

I think Mike Maddux is a real good pitching coach and might help Dusty out this year.

I agree. Maddux did a lot for the Rangers. He's also a guy that allows pitchers to throw deeper into games than most.