DurbBird

Waving: a dumb question

Whenever we watch the Birds on TV, people behind the batter always wave at the camera. How do they know to wave? Do they wave randomly? Can they see the camera? Are they following the broadcast on their phones? Are the images on the Jumbotron?

Hoping to hear from you soon, I remain

Your friend,

A country mouse

• Upvote 1

Whenever we watch the Birds on TV, people behind the batter always wave at the camera. How do they know to wave? Do they wave randomly? Can they see the camera? Are they following the broadcast on their phones? Are the images on the Jumbotron?

Your friend,

A country mouse

I believe the camera that is live, has a red light lite up.

Sometimes they even put that camera feed up on the scoreboard.

• Upvote 1

Your friend,

A country mouse

My opinion, after watching this closely, is that those seats are occupied by waivers. Who wish to be on TV.

Hoping to hear your opinion of my view, I remain

Your friend,

A guy who can not afford those seaats.

Your friend,

A country mouse

I believe the camera that is live, has a red light lite up.

Sometimes they even put that camera feed up on the scoreboard.

I can't speak for the OPACY cameras specifically. But Redskins Rick is right, it's standard in live TV to have what's called a "tally light" on the camera that lights up when that camera's feed is being broadcast live--this is mainly to communicate to the camera operator that they are on the air (or, in a news broadcast for example, to communicate to the anchor). Whether the fans always know this or can see this I'm not sure, but it seems like the most likely answer. Also, I notice that a lot of those times the waving fans are on their phones, probably talking to someone at home who is watching the game live.

Edited by Spy Fox

I can't speak for the OPACY cameras specifically. But Redskins Rick is right, it's standard in live TV to have what's called a "tally light" on the camera that lights up when that camera's feed is being broadcast live--this is mainly to communicate to the camera operator that they are on the air (or, in a news broadcast for example, to communicate to the anchor). Whether the fans always know this or can see this I'm not sure, but it seems like the most likely answer. Also, I notice that a lot of those times the waving fans are on their phones, probably talking to someone at home who is watching the game live.

Yeah but... the camera they're on is on the CF deck, 200 yards away. They could see whatever camera is pointed near them. They know they're always "on camera."

Yeah but... the camera they're on is on the CF deck, 200 yards away. They could see whatever camera is pointed near them. They know they're always "on camera."

Oh. I thought he was talking about the fans sitting near the dugout areas who appear over the players' shoulders during the side angle shots between pitches. From there I bet you might be able to see the lights. As for the fans directly behind home plate, I bet they just assume they are on camera whenever a pitch is being thrown!

Oh. I thought he was talking about the fans sitting near the dugout areas who appear over the players' shoulders during the side angle shots between pitches. From there I bet you might be able to see the lights. As for the fans directly behind home plate, I bet they just assume they are on camera whenever a pitch is being thrown!

...or friends text them to tell them to "Look like Bozos, you're on tv!"

• Upvote 1