Old#5fan

Wayne Kirby's Outfield Positioning (A rant thread)

Too bad neither you or I will live to see that. They have this newfangled stat cast thing And iPADs (another gadget) in the dugouts.

Yeah I almost added that comment to my last post that I will never live to see it though.

If you pitch well the shift doesnt matter. see: the Rays.

IMO that I agree with. You wouldn't have outfielders playing the power allies if in today's game you had Sandy Koufax, Nolan Ryan or Randy Johnson either, but something tells me Wayne Kirby would!

IMO that I agree with. You wouldn't have outfielders playing the power allies if in today's game you had Sandy Koufax, Nolan Ryan or Randy Johnson either, but something tells me Wayne Kirby would!

Here's a question for you.

Do you think this is Kirby's doing or do you think he is following orders from above?

Here's a question for you.

Do you think this is Kirby's doing or do you think he is following orders from above?

I think Kirby and the outfielders and Buck and the whole organization are working off the best stats they have and are ALL completely on the same page. Blaming Kirby for ANYthing is the lowest common denominator of trying to place blame SOMEWHERE. Anywhere. Heads must roll!!!!!

So did Kirby position Trumbo's glove too far off the ground on that ball last night?

You know the decision to place him in RF lies with Buck. After they get there it's Kirby's responsibility to position them. At this point, if someone can't sufficiently play an OF position Wayne Kirby is not going to be a savior.

You know the decision to place him in RF lies with Buck. After they get there it's Kirby's responsibility to position them. At this point, if someone can't sufficiently play an OF position Wayne Kirby is not going to be a savior.

I think in this case the decision was Dan's. You can't put Pedro in the outfield and you can't put Davis out there after he signs that deal. (Not that I think Davis is much better)

Do you think Buck has the freedom to bench Pedro for a week and go with Kim or Reimold in the OF?

I think in this case the decision was Dan's. You can't put Pedro in the outfield and you can't put Davis out there after he signs that deal. (Not that I think Davis is much better)

Do you think Buck has the freedom to bench Pedro for a week and go with Kim or Reimold in the OF?

Yes, but I hope it's Nolan. Trumbo and Alvarez should be a platoon DH with Trumbo getting more ABs vs mid tier RHP. Or, at least some variation of that. Kim should eventually be released.

I may be alone in this as I am more of an old school baseball fan but I would much rather see Kirby cease his standard positioning of the corner outfielders in the power alley or gaps. Last night was a perfect example of the stupidity of it. He had Richard playing in essentially left center and the hitter doesn't get around on Tillman's fastball which seemed to have decent movement and bloops a very high pop up that even a slow left fielder playing a normal left field position easily catches but I doubt David Lough would have made that catch from where Kirby had Rickard stationed. I would much rather take my chances of getting beat by a ball hammered up the gap than a stupid bloop that should have been an easy out. I mean cmon if I was Tillman I would be po'd as to where Kirby had Rickard playing and to essentially make a great pitch and "allow" a game breaking "double" on account of Kirby thinking I am more likely to allow a ball hammered up the gap in left center. No wonder Palmer used to place his own outfielders. Maybe Tillman ought to copy Jim from here on out!

I agree with you. I don't notice any other team positioning their outfielders in the gaps like we do and it annoys me every time we get burned by a hit down the lines. If it's so clever, why don't other teams do it?

I agree with you. I don't notice any other team positioning their outfielders in the gaps like we do and it annoys me every time we get burned by a hit down the lines. If it's so clever, why don't other teams do it?

The only time it is clever is when you think your pitcher is going to through pitch (most likely a meatball) to a hitter or you think the pitcher is not good enough in facing that particular hitter but you don't want to walk him. Or else you have a hitter like Bryce Harper who is pretty much a threat to hammer any pitcher.

So did Kirby position Trumbo's glove too far off the ground on that ball last night?

No need to be a wise guy, as you know my beef with playing corner outfielders almost religiously now up the gaps which penalizes the pitcher when the make a good pitch often times and rewards the hitter when they deserve to be out!

If they were playing closer to the line I'm sure you would be belly aching because the opposing team was getting to many gap doubles. That being said, the reason they play so far off the line is that the doubles that are being hit down the line would be doubles anyway, so they protect the gap. Move them closer to the lines and they would be giving up doubles in the gaps and down the lines.

• Upvote 1