Jump to content
weams

For crying out loud, can MLB please implement an electronic strike zone already?

Recommended Posts

I don't want to see umpires lose their jobs for a robot.  I think that would be detrimental long term to the game. 

What we need to see is evaluation and accountability.  The umpires union, like many unions (I am in one), is going to end up hurting the whole to protect the worst few from accountability.  If we can track strike calling accuracy with the same technology would replace them with then do it, and penalize those who are inaccurate. 

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

I don't want to see umpires lose their jobs for a robot.  I think that would be detrimental long term to the game. 

What we need to see is evaluation and accountability.  The umpires union, like many unions (I am in one), is going to end up hurting the whole to protect the worst few from accountability.  If we can track strike calling accuracy with the same technology would replace them with then do it, and penalize those who are inaccurate. 

They can still stand there.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

I don't want to see umpires lose their jobs for a robot.  I think that would be detrimental long term to the game. 

What we need to see is evaluation and accountability.  The umpires union, like many unions (I am in one), is going to end up hurting the whole to protect the worst few from accountability.  If we can track strike calling accuracy with the same technology would replace them with then do it, and penalize those who are inaccurate. 

If it was implemented smartly, no umps would lose their jobs.

I also think a penalization system is shaky ground, because sometimes that type of added granular pressure actually decreases performance. And it assumes the umps could get better if they just really tried. I'm not sure they could. 

I wonder if umps see any data about their calls relative to other umpires, and in a more specific way than just right or wrong. Something like "Hey Tim, you had the largest outside corner of any ump in the majors. Here's a collection of videos of those pitches. Try to work on that?"

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

I don't want to see umpires lose their jobs for a robot.  I think that would be detrimental long term to the game. 

What we need to see is evaluation and accountability.  The umpires union, like many unions (I am in one), is going to end up hurting the whole to protect the worst few from accountability.  If we can track strike calling accuracy with the same technology would replace them with then do it, and penalize those who are inaccurate. 

Yeah, I don't think human umpires are the problem. Some really old dudes who just aren't that good at their jobs keep getting rolled out there. 

I think what will eventually happen is umpires will get virtual reality glasses - like Google Glass, but a better version - that helps the umpires see the strike zone from wherever they are standing. I don't think we'll see an electronic strike zone where there is a monitor behind the plate calling balls and strikes because its incredibly dorky and not fun. Most fans want to see the umpire going "STRRIIIKKKKKKKKKKKEEEEEEEEE THREEEEEEEEEEEEEEE."

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, theocean said:

Yeah, I don't think human umpires are the problem. Some really old dudes who just aren't that good at their jobs keep getting rolled out there. 

I think what will eventually happen is umpires will get virtual reality glasses - like Google Glass, but a better version - that helps the umpires see the strike zone from wherever they are standing. I don't think we'll see an electronic strike zone where there is a monitor behind the plate calling balls and strikes because its incredibly dorky and not fun. Most fans want to see the umpire going "STRRIIIKKKKKKKKKKKEEEEEEEEE THREEEEEEEEEEEEEEE."

 

I've advocated having some sort of electronic device to aid the umps, rather than outright replace them, for a number of reasons. I don't see how you can just replace an umpire behind the plate.  There is a lot more to being a home plate umpire than ball and strike calls. 

I had not seen an idea like yours, where a special pair of glasses (ironic LOL) could be the way to implement the strike zone assistance I mentioned earlier. On the surface, I like your concept.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Give the HP Umpire an ear piece. It buzzzes for a ball and Diings for a strike. Nobody hears it but him. Let him yell Strrriiiiikkeee Thhrreeeee!!!  The whole thing would be essentially invisible to the fans.  No Brainer to me. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, theocean said:

 I don't think we'll see an electronic strike zone where there is a monitor behind the plate calling balls and strikes because its incredibly dorky and not fun. Most fans want to see the umpire going "STRRIIIKKKKKKKKKKKEEEEEEEEE THREEEEEEEEEEEEEEE."

 

Build a trap door under the batter’s box, and if the electronic monitor determines that a pitch was strike three, have it instantaneously open and drop the batter into the abyss.   That’s far more entertaining than watching an umpire cry “strike three!”

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Camden_yardbird said:

I don't want to see umpires lose their jobs for a robot.  I think that would be detrimental long term to the game. 

What we need to see is evaluation and accountability.  The umpires union, like many unions (I am in one), is going to end up hurting the whole to protect the worst few from accountability.  If we can track strike calling accuracy with the same technology would replace them with then do it, and penalize those who are inaccurate. 

Then maybe they should do a better job? That's really the biggest downside to a union. It can lead to complacency because the members are so protected. And they protect the bad seeds as much as they protect the good workers. I don't see that ever changing. And I don't think the union would ever sign off on penalties for poor performance. So what the probably need to do is approach is from another angle. And offer incentives for good performance. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Build a trap door under the batter’s box, and if the electronic monitor determines that a pitch was strike three, have it instantaneously open and drop the batter into the abyss.   That’s far more entertaining than watching an umpire cry “strike three!”

I think I could get on board with this if we could somehow involve a dunk tank. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, bird watcher said:

Give the HP Umpire an ear piece. It buzzzes for a ball and Diings for a strike. Nobody hears it but him. Let him yell Strrriiiiikkeee Thhrreeeee!!!  The whole thing would be essentially invisible to the fans.  No Brainer to me. 

...then why are you even paying the umpire? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, weams said:

Welcome to the future.

 

Congratulations to Weams to being the first person on this board to post and/or make a reference to a song that was released before 1960 ;)

  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Build a trap door under the batter’s box, and if the electronic monitor determines that a pitch was strike three, have it instantaneously open and drop the batter into the abyss.   That’s far more entertaining than watching an umpire cry “strike three!”

That is what should happen on called strike three.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Then maybe they should do a better job? That's really the biggest downside to a union. It can lead to complacency because the members are so protected. And they protect the bad seeds as much as they protect the good workers. I don't see that ever changing. And I don't think the union would ever sign off on penalties for poor performance. So what the probably need to do is approach is from another angle. And offer incentives for good performance. 

They do offer bonuses.  It's called playoff checks.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...