weams

For crying out loud, can MLB please implement an electronic strike zone already?

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

As opposed to actively sabotaging it?

I find it hard to believe this was a difficult sell.  We're going to have as many umps, we're going to pay you just as much, but we're going to give you a tool to not only do your job better but also one that gives you an iron-clad defense whenever an irate manager or fan confronts you about a bad ball/strike call. I guess there might be umps still in the employ of MLB who like the freedom to call obvious balls strikes and vice versa?

How are you supposed to punish players you don’t like and rookies who don’t “deserve” strike calls if you can’t rig the strike zone?     Maybe the computer can be pre-programmed to take care of that.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

How are you supposed to punish players you don’t like and rookies who don’t “deserve” strike calls if you can’t rig the strike zone?     Maybe the computer can be pre-programmed to take care of that.

Or what if it is a travel day and you are behind the plate and it's just over a hundred out there and you've got a plane to catch?

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Or what if it is a travel day and you are behind the plate and it's just over a hundred out there and you've got a plane to catch?

But you won't get to complain about the Orioles catchers' abysmal framing abilities. 

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

But you won't get to complain about the Orioles catchers' abysmal framing abilities. 

Go ahead and find an example of me complaining about the O's abysmal framing abilities.

I'll wait.

52 minutes ago, atomic said:

This kind of raises an interesting point, which is taking away the skill of the catcher at framing as an element of the game.    Kind of sad to think of catchers who don’t hit well or throw well, but are adept at framing, suddenly being out on the street because their feature skill abruptly has no value. 

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

This kind of raises an interesting point, which is taking away the skill of the catcher at framing as an element of the game.    Kind of sad to think of catchers who don’t hit well or throw well, but are adept at framing, suddenly being out on the street because their feature skill abruptly has no value. 

There's that, but in an ideal world, there'd have been no need for framing in the first place.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

There's that, but in an ideal world, there'd have been no need for framing in the first place.

I agree with your point philosophically, but it’s still sort of sad to see some of the nuances of the game disappear.    Overall I’d rather get the calls right.   

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I group them with pitchers who are really good at scuffing the ball.

Is it is skill...sure.

Should it be a skill that is rewarded...debatable.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Both managers can check a "big zone" option when they submit their lineup cards.  That's the day Tanner Scott gets 2 innings.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I hate framing. So there is that. 

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I group them with pitchers who are really good at scuffing the ball.

Is it is skill...sure.

Should it be a skill that is rewarded...debatable.

This. Or spitting on it. Or guys who hit well with stolen signs. 

9 hours ago, weams said:

This. Or spitting on it. Or guys who hit well with stolen signs. 

I agree. My unease with the robo-Ump is the assumption that it will give us definitive truth. I suspect people will gripe about calls, promote conspiracies, and find something to question just as much in the robotic era as in the Joe West era. Plus, I would be happier if they published the error rate so that I could know when to say yeah that was an awesome strike 3 pitch!!!!!! (Within the 95% confidence interval!!!!!!!’ Heck yeah!!!!)

I like parts of my life to be fuzzy and human, like the games I watch.