calmunderfire

How are players allowed to punch other players and not face legal consequences?

Bautista is a dirty player and has continued to try to circumvent the new rule about sliding into bases by trying to take out the fielder in various different ways. He intentionally slid late to try to disrupt the play and slide

into Odor with intent. Bautista immediately got up and turned around to get in Odor's face. I can't believe someone is sitting here trying to defend Bautista, really.

Second, because they are celebrities, that's why there's no legal action. Money + fame = special treatment. This is nothing new. You can get away with murder if you have those things.

The MLB fine and suspension will be a worse penalty than any court ruling for a first time offense. If Bautista were willing to bring charges. I most m

inor assault cases there is no jail time involved.

Was there any attempt to make vicious contact? No there wasn't. Contact isn't allowed in baseball. Those are the rules. This isn't boxing. It's not a fight.

Odor avoided the malicious contact by not finishing the double play. Contact IS allowed in baseball. Malicious contact is NOT. I umpire youth baseball through JuCo if you really want to get in there and get messy with the rule book.

• Upvote 1

Even if all this true, you cannot punch people in the face. I opened saying sometimes somebody may deserve a punch, but the bottom line is that is an assault. You just can't punch people, you can't.

This is private property. One of them would have to call 911 or go to a police station in order to have the other charged with assault. The first player to do that in MLB will get the D'Angelo Russell treatment for sure.

Even if all this true, you cannot punch people in the face. I opened saying sometimes somebody may deserve a punch, but the bottom line is that is an assault. You just can't punch people, you can't.

Wrong again!! You can absolutely defend yourself if you feel you're in imminent danger.

Odor avoided the malicious contact by not finishing the double play. Contact IS allowed in baseball. Malicious contact is NOT. I umpire youth baseball through JuCo if you really want to get in there and get messy with the rule book.
IIRC they ruled the slide illegal and the DP was completed, right?

IIRC they ruled the slide illegal and the DP was completed, right?

No, Odor's throw missed first base by quite a bit and hit the wall behind, but before the ball could be picked up again, everyone was running for second base due to the altercation. The umpire ultimately awarded the

Rangers with the inning ending double play due to the illegal slide.

No. They incorrectly (IMO) called it a clean slide and let it stand.
That changed two batters later, when Justin Smoak hit a grounder to third baseman Adrian Beltre, who tried to get a forceout at second base. Bautista came into the base with a hard slide that was ruled a violation of MLB's new slide rule and made contact with second baseman Rougned Odor's leg. And even though Odor's throw sailed wide of first, the Rangers were awarded an inning-ending double play because of Bautista's illegal slide.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/178354174/bautista-odor-spark-blue-jays-rangers-fracas

No, Odor's throw missed first base by quite a bit and hit the wall behind, but before the ball could be picked up again, everyone was running for second base due to the altercation. The umpire ultimately awarded the

Rangers with the inning ending double play due to the illegal slide.

Confusing answer. Seems like, if the last sentence is correct, the first word should be "Yes."

A few sports players have been charged with assault for on-field/on-ice hits over the years. There have been some hockey cases, some high school football cases (the most well-known involving referees), etc. I think an Oakland Raider was charge with assault for punching another player on the practice field back in the day. It's basically up to the local prosecutor and in most if not all jurisdictions the "victim" would have to press charges/cooperate with the prosecution. I seriously doubt Bautista would want Odor to be prosecuted. And I'm 100000% sure MLB would not want that to happen and would encourage it (behind the scenes) not to happen.

Confusing answer. Seems like, if the last sentence is correct, the first word should be "Yes."

Maybe so. I guess I didn't consider the DP to be "completed" more than it was awarded due to the slide. Completed, to me, would mean Odor's throw made it to first in time. Didn't mean to be confusing, it's just how I

took his wording.

p.s. The bottom line is if the "victim" wanted law enforcement to do something, then something (at least a minimal investigation) would happen.

Todd Bertuzzi was charged with assault. I am sure if Jose pressed charges the DA would have think about prosecuting. The reason more atheletes aren't charged is because they get special treatment. Why didn't Ray Rice serve time. Why did Ray Lewis not serve time?

You can just before you think you are about to get hit. Bautista went after Odor with his left first, then brings his right arm back, looks like hes trying to make a fist to punch him but Odor was just a little to fast and got him first.