VeveJones007

Tyler Wilson and his 5 Plus Pitches

Excellent article, thanks for sharing.

When I talked with Caleb Joseph earlier this year I asked him him about Wilson's success. He told me his cutter is "Mariano Rivera-esque". That's pretty good praise from his catcher.

A very positive feel good article based on stats. That makes me feel better about Wilson's long range chances.

But how can he be throwing a cutter?

The O's forbid it.

They don't forbid it at the major league level, just in the developmental stages.

They don't forbid it at the major league level, just in the developmental stages.

Was joking Tony.

Are you saying that Wilson wasn't throwing a cutter in the minors?

Great article. I realized Wilson could move the ball but didn't realize he did all that. I think we may have to re evaluate the whole Wright has better stuff and Wilson has a better makeup/command. Wilson's stuff is looking pretty good.

Awesome article. It definitely begs the question, why isn't he more of a strikeout guy? Is his combination of movement, mechanics and arsenal only good enough to induce weak contact?

Awesome article. It definitely begs the question, why isn't he more of a strikeout guy? Is his combination of movement, mechanics and arsenal only good enough to induce weak contact?

My guess is that there are 2 things not in his favor. (1) He doesn't have plus velocity and (2) doesn't have much deception in his delivery.

He still has been great so far though! I'm all for keeping him in the rotation until he starts to falter (hopefully he doesn't).

(2) doesn't have much deception in his delivery.

If Vance Worley could teach this to our guys, we'd have a few aces.

Wilson ranks as the O's third best starter this year with a 3.57 ERA in 4 starts. This article makes it seem like he can continue that if not get better as he is stretched out.

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/stats/sortable.jsp?c_id=bal#playerType=ALL&elem=%5Bobject+Object%5D&tab_level=child&click_text=Sortable+Player+pitching&game_type='R'&season=2016&season_type=ANY&league_code='MLB'&sectionType=sp&statType=pitching&page=1&ts=1463569751436&timeframe=&last_x_days=&split=sp

In 2014 Wilson pitched 166.2 innings which means he may be able to add 30 to 196 IP without hurt himself this year.

Wilson's issue going forward will be his complete inability to miss bats with the 93.2% z-contact. That's up there with Vance Worley and Gallardo, and neither of those two have been great.

That being said, he's got a nice 12.5% IFFB which he'll need if he can't find a way to miss bats in the zone.

Article does not discuss if his pitch movement of location degrades late in the game. I wonder if that's the reason he has trouble the 3rd time through. Or if it's a matter of adjustments. Maybe Wilson needs to change his sequencing later in the game as hitters adjust to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk