Wow' date=' and here we are being told they are the greatest, just like the 73-9 warriors and now the new warriors who haven't won a thing with Durant yet. Weren't the Nationals supposed to win multiple World Series also. Wasn't aware they're below .500 against plus competition thanks for the info.[/quote']

I actually just checked again and they are above now because the Pirates just went back over .500 yesterday and they are 8-1 vs them but here are their records against other teams over .500

Cardinals 2-4

Giants 1-2

Dodgers 3-1

Marlins 1-3

Mets 0-4

Nats 5-2

Total 12-16

Obviously if I had a crystal ball and knew the Orioles would set a MLB record for home runs hit in a month and go as far as 16 games over .500 I would not have come to that assessment. They've given themselves a huge lead to win closer to 90 games this year, but I still would not be surprised if they ended up an 87-88 win team. The one thing they have him going for them is the Division being really weak. I still think Boston ends up in front of the Orioles by the end of the year. Hope I'm wrong though.

I didn't predict the Orioles to set that record either. Doubt anyone did. But that power is part of what makes them better than mediocre. That power is what will continue to win some games.

I have always seen "mediocre" as an insult. To me, it's a team .500 and under. (I guess when you get to .450, that would be considered a "bad" team.) Since you have adjusted their projected win total to 87 - 90, can we all get past calling them mediocre for a bit? They are a good team. Some weaknesses, sure, but a good team nonetheless.

Well, there are 4 buckets to me when it comes to evaluating a team:

Starting pitching

Defense

Bullpen

Offense

To me, if we were going to grade them (I'm changing my defense ranking a bit after doing more research) from bad, good, great:

Starting pitching: bad

Defense: good

Bullpen: great (although has been trending to good with O'Day gone)

Offense: great

So, I think it's clear that they're not mediocre (per se)...but the pitching is really dragging them down....so people could make the case that they're heading in that direction.

Hey, I did it to Ryan Mountcastle earlier in the year so why not to the Orioles? It's a gift! lol

Seriously though, I'm enjoying this run and hope it keeps up, but this year's team and how it's put together suggests a swoon will come again. Let's hope they can limit those down times and stay as consistent as they can.

A swoon will unquestionably come, because there are still more than 100 games that are left to be played.

They question is, will the swoon(s) be so long and hurtful that it will have the Orioles sitting at or only slightly above .500 by mid-September ???

They just had a swoon (the 5-game losing streak.)

The Orioles are still in decent position, at 49-35 overall.

How many more swoons will there be, and how long will they last ???

Hey, I did it to Ryan Mountcastle earlier in the year so why not to the Orioles? It's a gift! lol

Seriously though, I'm enjoying this run and hope it keeps up, but this year's team and how it's put together suggests a swoon will come again. Let's hope they can limit those down times and stay as consistent as they can.

A swoon will unquestionably come, because there are still more than 100 games that are left to be played.

They question is, will the swoon(s) be so long and hurtful that it will have the Orioles sitting at or only slightly above .500 by mid-September ???

They just had a swoon (the 5-game losing streak.)

The Orioles are still in decent position, at 49-35 overall.

How many more swoons will there be, and how long will they last ???

Since the All-Star break, the Orioles have gone 16-18, including a 5-game losing streak, a 4-game losing streak, and a 3-game losing streak.

They have lost 4 out of their last 6 games, and 7 out of their last 11 games.

Overall, their record (67-54) indicates that they are still at least a pretty good team. What they do from here on out will determine whether or not they actually are.

We are officially better than mediocre!

Yep, and glad for it. They are a flawed team, but they have a lot of heart and continue to overachieve thanks to a closer with a perfect season so far and their ability to hit home runs. This team is playing meaningful baseball in late September and although their all or nothing approach, and their terrible situational hitting ability can make them frustrating to watch, that's all we've asked for.

They really need to win tonight to be tied for that 1st wild card spot and go into New York acting like it's their first playoff series of the year.

As most games of late, last night's game was more frustrating than enjoyable, but at the end of the day they got the "W" and that's all that matters in the end. Just win, baby!

Yep, and glad for it. They are a flawed team, but they have a lot of heart and continue to overachieve thanks to a closer with a perfect season so far and their ability to hit home runs. This team is playing meaningful baseball in late September and although their all or nothing approach, and their terrible situational hitting ability can make them frustrating to watch, that's all we've asked for.

They really need to win tonight to be tied for that 1st wild card spot and go into New York acting like it's their first playoff series of the year.

As most games of late, last night's game was more frustrating than enjoyable, but at the end of the day they got the "W" and that's all that matters in the end. Just win, baby!

I'm with you on that. My brother texted me afterwards and I said the game was awesome but I only enjoyed one inning. We've had a lot of semi-aggravating wins ever since we started our last homestand with Tampa, but I'll take 'em!

I think the main frustration in the last 2 weeks (dating back to the Tampa series at home) is that the O's have been terrible with runners in scoring position. Even with Kim's bomb last night, the O's are something like 14-for-79 (0.177) with RISP over this stretch. For the season, they are a middling team (about .260, 15th in MLB).

RISP streaks come and go, but it would hope the O's considerably if this worm would turn starting tonight.

I'm with you on that. My brother texted me afterwards and I said the game was awesome but I only enjoyed one inning. We've had a lot of semi-aggravating wins ever since we started our last homestand with Tampa, but I'll take 'em!

The Orioles have scored 3 runs or less in 10 of their last 12 games... and won 4 of them.