Before sweeping us, the Astros had lost 4 games in a row. Before the two wins against us, the Red Sox had lost 3 of 4.

Don't give me the "hot team" crap. They weren't hot until they played us and kicked the crap out of us.

The Astros are still a sub .500 team even with the sweep.

I'm busting out laughing right now. The Astros are currently on another 4 game winning streak. 17-9 over their last 26.

But if you guys want to cry and D&G all over the place then cry away.

Edited by sportsfan8703

And while all that is great, we've had to give up multiple first round picks, terrible contracts and gut the farm system for that moderate bit of success.

Do you think it's worth it?

Do you think we are currently on the right track to success this year? What about long term success?

Be honest.

You want honesty. Play .500 baseball through June 20th and go on a run vs our weak schedule from June 21-July 31st. That puts us 10+ over at the trade deadline.

And while all that is great, we've had to give up multiple first round picks, terrible contracts and gut the farm system for that moderate bit of success.

Do you think it's worth it?

Do you think we are currently on the right track to success this year? What about long term success?

Be honest.

I'm concerned that our farm system and player development system aren't great and that could cause problems in the future. Of course they weren't great in 2012 and they still haven't caused us a single losing season since then.

For this year, we have a great bullpen, very good defense, well above average offense, and poor starting pitching. Right now we are in position to make the playoffs. That makes me happy.

No, I haven't liked all the trades. You do deem to forget that while we have given up high picks, we did also gain one for Chen. And while we have given up guys such as Harder, we have also brought talent such as Gunkel into the organization. And people like to pretend we have done nothing in the international market, even though we have Schoop and Kim on the big league roster, and Miranda and Reyes in the minors. I know the accentuate the negative crowd tries to only point out one side of each of these factors and pretend the other side doesn't exist, just like they seem to want to pretend that the first 7 game's of the season don't count because it doesn't suit their narrative.

Well see about your "2% chance" the O's are over .500 on June 21. Or the other "prediction" in this thread that Buck won't be back next year because he will know he "can't win" and this team can't survive without a total teardown and rebuild.

The doom and gloom gets thick when things arent going well, that's for sure. It's almost like people forget how much of a marathon a 162 game season really is.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

I'm concerned that our farm system and player development system aren't great and that could cause problems in the future. Of course they weren't great in 2012 and they still haven't caused us a single losing season since then.

For this year, we have a great bullpen, very good defense, well above average offense, and poor starting pitching. Right now we are in position to make the playoffs. That makes me happy.

No, I haven't liked all the trades. You do deem to forget that while we have given up high picks, we did also gain one for Chen. And while we have given up guys such as Harder, we have also brought talent such as Gunkel into the organization. And people like to pretend we have done nothing in the international market, even though we have Schoop and Kim on the big league roster, and Miranda and Reyes in the minors. I know the accentuate the negative crowd tries to only point out one side of each of these factors and pretend the other side doesn't exist, just like they seem to want to pretend that the first 7 game's of the season don't count because it doesn't suit their narrative.

Well see about your "2% chance" the O's are over .500 on June 21. Or the other "prediction" in this thread that Buck won't be back next year because he will know he "can't win" and this team can't survive without a total teardown and rebuild.

The doom and gloom gets thick when things arent going well, that's for sure. It's almost like people forget how much of a marathon a 162 game season really is.

People sad that we're playing .500 baseball over a stretch, like we didn't have 14 straight losing seasons or something. Tough crowd.

You want honesty. Play .500 baseball through June 20th and go on a run vs our weak schedule from June 21-July 31st. That puts us 10+ over at the trade deadline.

I honestly don't see .500 baseball happening over the next 3 weeks against that schedule.

I just don't see it.

Hope you're right and I'm wrong.

We do not have a well above average offense.

Current league average: 4.35 R/G. O's have averaged 4.4 (A tick above league average).

Also outside of Britton and oday, our pen has been pretty average.

Bundy hasn't been good, Matusz was let go, Worley is meh, oday has been a little shaky, givens is only good against righties.

Our pen is not nearly as good this year as its been in the past. Would love to see some stats on this.

Also outside of Britton and oday, our pen has been pretty average.

Bundy hasn't been good, Matusz was let go, Worley is meh, oday has been a little shaky, givens is only good against righties.

Our pen is not nearly as good this year as its been in the past. Would love to see some stats on this.

What about Brach? And Worley has been solid. Givens has been stellar against righties...needs to work on lefties (same as O'Day).

Brach: 425 ERA+, 1.00 ERA, 2.26 FIP, 0.963 WHIP

Worley: 209 ERA+, 2.03 ERA, 3.27 FIP, 1.258 WHIP

Givens: 182 ERA+, 2.35 ERA, 3.07 FIP, 1.565 WHIP*

Fangraphs does not think our defense is very good. But as I said in another thread, it's too soon to draw conclusions from that.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=fld&lg=all&qual=0&type=1&season=2016&month=0&season1=2016&ind=0&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

Also, Hader looks like a potential ace while Gunkel looks like a fringe major leaguer. Gaining Gunkel doesn't make me feel better about losing Hader.

Seriously, it's like people don't understand you can play mediocre baseball for the majority of the season and still make the playoffs in the AL.

Let's take a look right now. Boston takes the AL East, ok. Chicago takes -- no wait, they just nose-dived. Somebody takes the AL Central. Seattle or Texas takes the AL West or maybe the Astros turn it around. And there's two wild cards on top of that.

Things are much more settled in the NL where you got the haves and have-nots. Not the case in the AL.

Five of the O's 12 pitchers have less than one year of experience in the majors. That's 42%. Kind of a challenge for a contending team.

As you can imagine some are doing well and some aren't. Wilson pitched at least 6 innings in all 5 of his May starts and has become the O's 3rd best starter. Givens in spite of his problems with lefties gets rightes out really well. Bundy and Wright have talent but are struggling. Tolliver just arrived.

There is some pitching depth with McFarland and Drake who are both ready if called on.

The O's scored the fewest runs per game of any team in the AL in May. 4.07 runs per game. There is really no excuse for the this. They are a veteran group with talent. Every team in the AL should not be outscoring them. I doubt that continues for the rest of the season.

I have not given up on Gallardo. I think he may be better than Jimenez or Wright. The team does play better with Hardy. He will be back before long.

I still have hope for this team as a contender. Boston looks better though.

I agree with everything OP said. The pitching seems to be showing its true colors. We don't have a single dominant pitcher. We have two guys capable of consistent quality starts (Tillman and Wilson), two guys with great stuff but inconsistent (Gausman, Wright), and two overpaid disasters (Gallardo, Ubaldo). (Hopefully at least Gallardo can get on track).

DD made a couple of nice moves, solidifying DH with Trumbo at little cost, and grabbing Rickard from Rule 5 to replace Lough. But the big moves have killed us. No pitching depth in the minors. $150M committed to Chris Davis for the forseeable future. Lost draft picks to acquire Ubaldo and Gallardo and retain Davis. If we don't contend now, the future doesn't look good either.

Still, keep in mind, here were the standings as of June 1, 2014.

TOR 34 24 .586 -- 291 252 .565

NYY 29 26 .527 3.5 230 245 .471

BAL 28 27 .509 4.5 234 240 .488

BOS 27 29 .482 6.0 231 237 .488

TBR 23 34 .404 10.5 217 255 .427

They looked pretty much the same as of June 20, when Britton blew a save on a crushing Carlos Beltran HR for the division rival Yankees. The point being, there is time to get hot again and realize this team's potential. I can see this team finishing in 4th, but I can also see us running away with the division if things break our way.

I love these threads after a loss or a bad stretch. Like clockwork.

Make sure to bump this when they run off 8/10 and get back to 10 games above .500.

Oh I forgot, no chance of that happening this team is destined for failure. Just a mirage.

Then you should be very happy for the rest of the season

I would expect doom and gloom right now, and while I think some really stupid moves were made (not starting to rebuild last year, signing Gallardo after missing out on Happ, Hill or Latos, etc) I don't think this is a mediocre team. I think this team finishes somewhere around 87 wins. That said, I don't think that gets them into the playoffs and I really hope that the evaluation of this year's chances is done better than last year. Dan has kind of sent the team down the rabbit hole by bidding against himself and resigning Davis. But barring a Howardesque collapse, that should stop them from trading him if things go south.

My real disappointment the is with Jones. He works really hard and advocated to retain a competitive team around him, but it's really clear to me that he has been quite injured for the last year and that his shoulder is not right. At least I hope it's his shoulder because otherwise his regression has been quite alarming.