Aglets

Should we be concerned with attendance numbers yet?

I know, I read it. :) Just an attempt at humor.

A flat one, apparently.

Seems like an assault charge was in order. The worst he ever did to me was tie my shoelaces to the railing when I was paying deep attention to the game.

Oh, that went right over my head. :o

After 11 years of having season tickets I did not renew after they screwed Nick Markakis. Say what you want but I know several ppl who feel/felt the same way. Also I think the riots last year have not helped.

After 11 years of having season tickets I did not renew after they screwed Nick Markakis. Say what you want but I know several ppl who feel/felt the same way. Also I think the riots last year have not helped.

I understand the fan aspect of things, but they were willing to offer him a 3-year deal, which isn't really screwing the guy. If they wanted to screw him they would have slapped a Qualifying Offer on him, which they didn't.

Markakis is hitting .243 this year with an OPS of .663 and fWAR of 0.1. You know who else OPS'd about .663 last year? Travis Snider (.659), and we cut him, even though he was 80% cheaper than Markakis. And the Braves have 2 more years of this. I like Nick and miss seeing him in right, but they made the right call by letting him go.

• Upvote 1

I'm sticking with the lack of promotions as compared to last year and that a lot of people had to purchase ticket plans for 2015 in order to get 2014 playoff tix. Also the terrible month long rain we had.

Personally I had a 29 game plan last year and have been to two walk up games this year. My ticket plan increased from $1,200 to like $1,700. The rain has hurt the spur of the moment walk up games for me. That and I vowed never to go to another game that Ubaldo starts.

I live in Virginia and make it to typically 1-2 games a year only, but I have to wonder if the makeup of the starting rotation has anything to do with it. I know I always try to look at who the starters are when I go to a game, and I think Tilly and KG get people excited to go to games (even though KG has been rough lately, still has that potential), whereas the other 3 rotation spots are not good. Wilson has been decent at times, but just not somebody that puts butts in the seats. I look at last year and you had Chen who was solid, and Miggy, who even though was bad, was definitely a fan favorite after the work he'd put in the previous couple of years. So I think that the rotation definitely would play into it. Hard to shell out money when you've got pending explosions from Ubaldo and Wright lined up.

• Upvote 1

I live in Virginia and make it to typically 1-2 games a year only, but I have to wonder if the makeup of the starting rotation has anything to do with it. I know I always try to look at who the starters are when I go to a game, and I think Tilly and KG get people excited to go to games (even though KG has been rough lately, still has that potential), whereas the other 3 rotation spots are not good. Wilson has been decent at times, but just not somebody that puts butts in the seats. I look at last year and you had Chen who was solid, and Miggy, who even though was bad, was definitely a fan favorite after the work he'd put in the previous couple of years. So I think that the rotation definitely would play into it. Hard to shell out money when you've got pending explosions from Ubaldo and Wright lined up.

That's an interesting thought. I suppose it could be used in a round about way to support that old adage that you have to spend money to make money. In this case, it's starting pitching. Chicks can only dig the long ball for so long when the pitching gives back the runs. And there's also the rain as had been previously mentioned.

I think some people don't like the fact that you have to pay a surcharge when buying tickets online. My son and I went 6/17, wife purchased 2 tickets at $48.50 each, plus, $12.50 surcharge for each ticket, $25 extra dollars to allow me to print my own ticket is a tad ridiculous. I also think people don't realize that there is no surcharge on walk up tickets and also no tax.

1st NYY series was on a weekday and they averaged about 17,200 per game. 2nd series was on a weekend and they averaged about 29,000 per game. Plus Boston has only been in town 1 time and that was a weekday series too. Ist game of that series was Memorial day and attendance was 43900, but dropped to 17600 the next night, but averaged 21k the final 2 games of that series, so that might have something to do with it too.

I think some people don't like the fact that you have to pay a surcharge when buying tickets online. My son and I went 6/17, wife purchased 2 tickets at $48.50 each, plus, $12.50 surcharge for each ticket, $25 extra dollars to allow me to print my own ticket is a tad ridiculous. I also think people don't realize that there is no surcharge on walk up tickets and also no tax.

I get no surcharge part, but I dont get no tax part.

San Francisco.

Baltimore.

Both cities on a bay.

Oh I get it. You think because I said the Orioles should be more creative with their promotions and targeting of said promotions like the Giants do, that they should be exactly like what the Giants do.

Oh I get it. You think because I said the Orioles should be more creative with their promotions and targeting of said promotions like the Giants do, that they should be exactly like what the Giants do.

I think that would help some.

But, the issue with attendance has been discussed in OH for years, and there is probably a variety of reasons.

I dont think, IMO, that there is a single issue that we can lay blame to the attendance numbers.

I get no surcharge part, but I dont get no tax part.

I do not know why but last year, the last 2 games my son and I walked up and just paid face value for the tix, the was no tax on the receipt. Maybe its already figured in.

There is still a fee buying at the ticket window on game day...well at least there was last year. At the corner of the warehouse near were the Baltimore Sports Museum used to be there are ticket machines however. These were the only place to buy tickets without any fees last year.

This year....stubhub all the way. Tickets under face value are easy to find.

That's an interesting thought. I suppose it could be used in a round about way to support that old adage that you have to spend money to make money. In this case, it's starting pitching. Chicks can only dig the long ball for so long when the pitching gives back the runs. And there's also the rain as had been previously mentioned.

Not sure I buy that. A high scoring first place team should be more alluring than a stingy pitching .500 team.