Jump to content
Norfolk orioles

Updates on Hunter Harvey

Recommended Posts

Ok would someone who knows the subject provide a comparison of Harvey and Josh Hader?

they throw hard strikes and have great hair, yes but I’m hoping for something a bit more in-depth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Philip said:

Ok would someone who knows the subject provide a comparison of Harvey and Josh Hader?

they throw hard strikes and have great hair, yes but I’m hoping for something a bit more in-depth.

I'll take a crack .....Harvey has a 97mph + fastball that's deemed plus and a plus curveball and Hader.

Hader has a low 90s fastball with a lot of movement. The reason he's been so successful is that his slider drastically improved from 2017 to 2018 in regards to his control.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

I'll take a crack .....Harvey has a 97mph + fastball that's deemed plus and a plus curveball and Hader.

Hader has a low 90s fastball with a lot of movement. The reason he's been so successful is that his slider drastically improved from 2017 to 2018 in regards to his control.

Hader's more like mid 90's and can reach upper 90's whenever he needs to, but yeah - he doesn't throw as hard as Harvey.  It's the combo of his fastball and slider both complementing each other.  https://brewmaths.com/2019/01/03/josh-hader-randy-johnson-2-0-a-kid-from-millersville/  Can Harvey's curveball have that same complementary effect with his fastball that Hader has with his slider and fastball?  Since Hader typically has the single best whiff rate in all of MLB, that's an awfully tough standard to meet.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Philip said:

Ok would someone who knows the subject provide a comparison of Harvey and Josh Hader?

they throw hard strikes and have great hair, yes but I’m hoping for something a bit more in-depth.

 

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

I'll take a crack .....Harvey has a 97mph + fastball that's deemed plus and a plus curveball and Hader.

Hader has a low 90s fastball with a lot of movement. The reason he's been so successful is that his slider drastically improved from 2017 to 2018 in regards to his control.

Not so much, Hader is close to a one-pitch pitcher with an outstanding FB. He has a unique arm slot to get rise on his fastball.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/josh-haders-fastball-is-baseballs-most-mysterious-pitch/

Harvey has a traditional over the top delivery and mix of pitches. His FB looked pretty straight to me. I would compare him more to Aroldis Chapman than Hader :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

 I would compare him more to Aroldis Chapman than Hader 

Ok, I can deal with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/17/2019 at 10:22 PM, OFFNY said:

o

 

This was Harvey's career Major League debut.

His 1st career MLB Strikeout came on a 99-MPH Fastball.

His 2nd career MLB Strikeout came on a 98-MPH Fastball.

 

HUNTER LUKE HARVEY )))))) (vs. RED SOX, 8/17)

 

o

 

 

15 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

 

In only his 2nd outing ever, this wound up being Harvey's 1st career W ........ it's a good thing that he pitches for a team like the Orioles, or he might be waiting forever for one of those.

 

HUNTER LUKE HARVEY )))))) (vs. ROYALS, 8/20)

 

o

o

 

Hunter Harvey on Bullpen Role: “I hope I Stay There”

(By Steve Melewski)

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2019/08/hunter-harvey-on-bullpen-role-i-hope-i-stay-there.html

 

o

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

 

 

o

 

Hunter Harvey on Bullpen Role: “I hope I Stay There”

(By Steve Melewski)

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2019/08/hunter-harvey-on-bullpen-role-i-hope-i-stay-there.html

 

o

That's an eye-opener and pretty much says it all about his role going forward - assuming good health.  .  

  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

 

Hunter Harvey on Bullpen Role: “I hope I Stay There”

(By Steve Melewski)

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2019/08/hunter-harvey-on-bullpen-role-i-hope-i-stay-there.html

 

o

o

 

Mancini has some encouraging words regarding Harvey ........

 

Notes on Harvey Usage, and Mancini’s History with Him

(By Roch kubatko)

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/08/notes-on-harvey-usage-and-mancinis-history-with-him.html

 

o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/20/2019 at 11:38 PM, Philip said:

Ok would someone who knows the subject provide a comparison of Harvey and Josh Hader?

they throw hard strikes and have great hair, yes but I’m hoping for something a bit more in-depth.

On this point, I'll agree to disagree. lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

On this point, I'll agree to disagree. lol

I like the appearance code of old. The long locks and Duck Dynasty beards look out of place on the diamond IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

I like the appearance code of old. The long locks and Duck Dynasty beards look out of place on the diamond IMO.

I don't think the appearances of old were quite what you choose to remember, guy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

I like the appearance code of old. The long locks and Duck Dynasty beards look out of place on the diamond IMO.

+1. Harvey is not the worst offender by any means, but I like our players to have a clean cut look. I also really dislike that the policy was changed essentially to accommodate one player, Cashner, who isn't even that good. If Trout wants a beard and that's what it takes, OK, but not Cashner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, interloper said:

I don't think the appearances of old were quite what you choose to remember, guy. 

If you restrict "old" to "when baby boomers were young".  

The idea that gentlemen should only have close-cropped, short hair and limited or no facial hair is something that came about in the last 100 or so years out of hundreds of thousands of years of human existence.  Perhaps also sporadically in other times and places, I've heard ancient Egyptians were fond of removing most or all of their hair.  But someone in Baltimore in 1776 probably would have thought someone with Boys' Haircut #1 from Floyd's Barber Shop was quite strange.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

+1. Harvey is not the worst offender by any means, but I like our players to have a clean cut look. I also really dislike that the policy was changed essentially to accommodate one player, Cashner, who isn't even that good. If Trout wants a beard and that's what it takes, OK, but not Cashner.

Maybe baseball should occasionally consider demographics besides 74-year-old men.  With that segment of the population shrinking over time and all.  Not everyone thinks every athlete or ballplayer should look like they stepped out of a 1950s period piece.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







×
×
  • Create New...