Roy Firestone

Id have zero tolerance for Ubaldo today.

Before Ubaldo, arguing that the O's should sign Adam Dunn was probably my biggest FA misfire on OH. Thanks, Ubaldo, for showing me there's always a higher rung.

I'm hoping DD has a plan to get out of this. I just read that the CHC are looking for more pitching and this is a year that the Orioles have a shot at the WS only IF we can get a stable, legitimate starting rotation.

Now is the time to fix it. I don't know why we weren't in on James Shields. I don't know if DD is looking around at bottom-ranked teams that might have a decent TOR guy ready to get out of there. This cannot continue.

MSK

You don't know why we didn't pursue a guy making 20M that's been almost as bad most of our own rotation?

I'm sure you can figure it out.

If he starts walking people and putting people on all over the place, Id yank him early and go right to Worley.

I dont think Buck should have anything but a short hook for him.

Im sick to death of our pitchers giving us no chance to win a ball game.He needs to know hes expected to get outs early and not walk a ton of people early. If he cant get through an inning , he needs to sit and someone else needs to get a chance.

I have very little optimism that he will pitch well today.Not with this Blue Jays team crushing the ball.

ZERO TOLERANCE SUNDAY.

The bad part, if our so call shut down bull pen does its job (Givens) we win this game. It's a dang shame to put up 9 runs and LOSE. :mad:

Ublado is doing a GOOD job of dragging down this BP he has got to be pulled from the rotation $$ or not.

Edited by TouchemAll

Orioles averaged 6 runs a game in this series, and lose 3 of 4.

That = Horrific pitching... No other excuse. :mad:

Scoring 9 runs today and STILL LOSING is a kick in the ____ .

I guess I'd put Ubaldo in the bullpen rather than release him. But that raises a kind of double problem -- and the Toronto series points out both aspects of it.

First, if you put Ubaldo (or anyone else) in the pen, you have to be ready to use him. Because of the early exits of its starters (even if Ubaldo is dropped from the rotation), this team can't afford to carry guys in the pen who can't be brought into close games. It's hard to imagine Buck bringing Ubaldo in under just about any circumstances, and you sure don't want to bring him in when there's a base or two that can be stolen if that will matter. Second, and I hadn't really appreciated this until the past few days, there's virtually no mop-up work for Orioles relievers. It almost doesn't matter how far behind this team is, it's capable of coming back if the relievers hold the other team down a little. I guess there's the occasional laugher where an unreliable bullpen arm can go a few innings, but Ubaldo showed today how fast he can give up runs -- 5 in 1/3 of an inning. That role is very, very limited.

The bottom line is that while it sounds like the voice of moderation to say that Ubaldo should be sent to the bullpen, he either has to be used in relief or he makes the current bullpen resource drain worse.

I'm hoping DD has a plan to get out of this. I just read that the CHC are looking for more pitching and this is a year that the Orioles have a shot at the WS only IF we can get a stable, legitimate starting rotation.

Now is the time to fix it. I don't know why we weren't in on James Shields. I don't know if DD is looking around at bottom-ranked teams that might have a decent TOR guy ready to get out of there. This cannot continue.

MSK

Did you see Shields's first outing with the White Sox? I think he lasted 1-2 innings, gave up a ton of runs, and was booed off the field by White Sox fans. When he was still with the Padres, he gave up 10 runs in 2 2/3 innings.

I'm so very glad that the O's didn't get him.

I guess I'd put Ubaldo in the bullpen rather than release him. But that raises a kind of double problem -- and the Toronto series points out both aspects of it.

First, if you put Ubaldo (or anyone else) in the pen, you have to be ready to use him. Because of the early exits of its starters (even if Ubaldo is dropped from the rotation), this team can't afford to carry guys in the pen who can't be brought into close games. It's hard to imagine Buck bringing Ubaldo in under just about any circumstances, and you sure don't want to bring him in when there's a base or two that can be stolen if that will matter. Second, and I hadn't really appreciated this until the past few days, there's virtually no mop-up work for Orioles relievers. It almost doesn't matter how far behind this team is, it's capable of coming back if the relievers hold the other team down a little. I guess there's the occasional laugher where an unreliable bullpen arm can go a few innings, but Ubaldo showed today how fast he can give up runs -- 5 in 1/3 of an inning. That role is very, very limited.

The bottom line is that while it sounds like the voice of moderation to say that Ubaldo should be sent to the bullpen, he either has to be used in relief or he makes the current bullpen resource drain worse.

As I recall, in 2014, when he was sent to the pen because he was awful in the starting rotation. They didn't have him pitch much, but they had him working on the side in the pen, trying to correct what was wrong. Wallace/Chiti figured a few things out. Ubaldo did pitch a few time from the pen. At one time, he came in on long relief because there was a long rain delay. As I recall, he didn't do too badly. He had another appearance, which was pretty bad. He had a couple more relief outings where he did well. The problem was that the coaches weren't able to work enough with him because the season ended and the team was trying to get to the WS. But during the off-season, the team hired Ramon Martinez as a sort of roving pitching coach. He worked with Ubaldo in the winter (in the Dominican Republic) and into Spring Training.

It's obvious that there are a lot more things wrong with Ubaldo's command and delivery. So what to do? Can't trade him because no one wants him with that salary plus a 2-point WHIP. Eat up his big contract when the team needs money to sign Manny plus perhaps Wieters, Trumbo, and Perez. Plus try finding another quality starter (SO GLAD that it's not Shields). So it looks like the coaching staff will have to try and rehabilitate him. Use him in the pen in low-leverage situations for now. Maybe he'll get better in short bursts and he might develop into a reasonably quality reliever. And he might even be able to rejoin the rotation some time in 2017.

How are his whip or era possible acceptable?

He does this crap ALL THE TIME.

Enough is enough. Dl him.

Can the O's afford to eat up 2 years of his huge salary? They need to sign Manny (a really huge contract). Plus find a quality starter (Thank the baseball gods that it wasn't James Shields), and perhaps resign Trumbo, Alvarez, or Wieters.