Sir_Loin

Orioles inquired about Melvin Upton, Jr (BlueJays)

Ubaldo might be out of baseball next season. I would say the odds are over 50 percent that he isn't in baseball by the mid-point of next season.

He isn't free and he takes up a roster spot. It is like holding onto a company stock as it enters bankruptcy thinking it can't go any lower. Jiminez is done. Buck doesn't want him on the team anymore and won't pitch him.

He won't pitch him. That's the deal.

The failures of this organization in developing pitching needs to be addressed. In order to be addressed, it needs to be recognized and not denied.

Every club in baseball besides the Rays is having trouble developing pitching. We have Bundy, Gausman, and Tillman in the rotation that the team developed. Decent starting pitching is very hard to find and develop. Especially when you play in a hitters park.

• Upvote 1

So what? He stinks here and costs us games. He's no good to us, regardless of what he may do for someone else in the future.

Yeah who cares if someone else can fix him if we can't. He isn't going to a contender and getting starts.

That's my point. It's almost funny people think Ubaldo=Upton.

Ryan Howard would be the equivalent of Jiminez.

• Upvote 1

He's a free agent.

Ahh ok, I was hoping for a year of control. Oh well, I'd still take him at the right price.

Cashner signed for 2016 only makes $7.15M this year. This year was his 3rd arbitration year.

Heh only.

Going by both rWAR and fWAR he is overpaid by the free agent scale of 8M/Win.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• Bananas are yellow right?       https://www.crayola.com/explore-colors/banana-mania.aspx  
    • So, by your post above, you agree that the Iglesias trade does fit into what we'd expect Elias to be doing ("building inventory"), correct? As for free agents, I can imagine him wanting to spend BIG in a place where he might not think we have answers during a competitive period. So at SS or 2B, for example, I'd expect he might hold off on a big name guy because he might think we have our own big name guys 2-3 years away, so the paying part wouldn't make sense re: a competitive team. Same for 3B, outfield, catcher and even pitcher. I honestly think that 90% of what he's doing is consistent with what I would expect him to do given a complete rebuild. The one part I agree with is the opportunity to take on bigger contracts in exchange for more prospects. I too wish we'd go that route. I think the next level example of that is signing a guy like Cobb (e.g., more expensive than Iglesias) and hoping for performance so you can trade him. I think the cost/risk equation there gets a little out of hand though. 
    • OH ... 15.5 ... Thanks for helping make my point 🍺
    • I live in a world where you prove you deserve a promotion. Producing at your current role is the indicator. Most players produce less at the majors than they did in the minors....Notice I said most! Analytics helps and I'm happy we have them. But they stats are the stats and why think a guy is ready to do better at the majors than he's done at AA? .262 is pretty mediocre. What is it about Bowie that would lead you to believe that he'd do better at the majors. Scenario ..... its 2021 in July and Diaz is hitting .260/.315/750 at AA. Why do you think he'd be better against MLB pitching? Analystics? I'm pretty sure they are using the same data in the minors now right?
    • I agree with you and Frobby, circumstances rather than any actual numbers threshold. And I think the bolded is the best and simplest way to phrase it. Next man up.
    • But it was my thought!  Lol. Going forward, I will think it and Jerios will post it.
    • I care about the clock, but only to an extent.    I wouldn’t hold anyone back until 2022 if they are ready at mid-2021.    But, I wouldn’t start someone in the majors on Opening Day even if they were ready.    Particularly as to Rutschman, I feel like catchers only have so many years in their legs and I wouldn’t spend one of those years in the minors if they’re ready for the majors.  I am not saying, sight unseen, that he is ready, despite some of the hype we’ve heard lately.  But let’s say it’s late June and it’s very evident he is ready — at that point, I’d like to see him getting major league experience.   Is that “wasted” in a losing season?   I don’t think so, because it hastens the time when he’ll be at the peak of experience and physical ability.      
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now