McLovin

O's acquire Steve Pearce for Jonah Heim

He batted .218 last season

But had enough of a track record to be considered a bounce back candidate ....

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

No, not really.

The dude was worth nearly 5 WAR the year before. But I forgot, your opinions are facts....I guess I should have fact checked [emoji5]

The dude was worth nearly 5 WAR the year before. But I forgot, your opinions are facts....I guess I should have fact checked [emoji5]

That was an outlier, not a track record.

His peripherals last year weren't that much different from his 2014 season. The big difference was that he had a .322 BABIP in 2014 while only having a .232 BABIP last year. That's not suddenly turning into a bad player. That's having terrible luck.

I hate it when people reflexively say BABIP = luck. Better players have higher BABIP because they hit the ball harder. There are some elements of luck, but it's not entirely luck.

I hate it when people reflexively say BABIP = luck. Better players have higher BABIP because they hit the ball harder. There are some elements of luck, but it's not entirely luck.

But BABIP seems to be a very reliable tool when comparing a players BABIP from the current year to how he did the prior year or for his career. If a player's BABIP is 100 points higher than last year, chances are he's been lucky this year.

But had enough of a track record to be considered a bounce back candidate ....

No he didn't. He had a track record of sore wrists. And one super duper season.

As much as Pearce struggled last year, he still put up a .711 OPS which isn't horrible. It seemed to be a combination of injuries, a couple prolonged ruts, and some bad luck. He could just never get going.

He's not as good as he was in 2014 but not as bad he was last year. I think he's a solid .750-.800 OPS bat as an everyday player and better than that if you just play him against lefties.

But BABIP seems to be a very reliable tool when comparing a players BABIP from the current year to how he did the prior year or for his career. If a player's BABIP is 100 points higher than last year, chances are he's been lucky this year.

Somewhat, particularly if he has a track record. I personally think Pearce just had a down year AND had bad luck, and the year before, he had a great year and had good luck. As others have said, he's probably a mid case.

So big sruprise, Pearce is injured

I know Heim isn't supposed to be much but I just don't see the point in picking up a guy that misses as many games as he plays.

Now we hear he has had a bum arm all year which reduces his value as an occasional starter in the OF

Would have rather promoted Dariel Alvarez, kept Heim in the system and saved a couple million

• Downvote 1

So big sruprise, Pearce is injured

I know Heim isn't supposed to be much but I just don't see the point in picking up a guy that misses as many games as he plays.

Now we hear he has had a bum arm all year which reduces his value as an occasional starter in the OF

Would have rather promoted Dariel Alvarez, kept Heim in the system and saved a couple million

So because he got an injury, it was a bad decision at the time? You know what they say about hindsight? It was a good move, this is just an unfortunate unexpected thing.

So because he got an injury, it was a bad decision at the time? You know what they say about hindsight? It was a good move, this is just an unfortunate unexpected thing.

I can see it being a bad decision if the Orioles knew of his arm issue and decided to trade for him anyway a la the Michael Morse trade a couple years back.

That said, hopefully it's just a minor issue and he can turn it around. Would suck for him to get healthy but not have the same swing or power behind his swing prior to the injury.

I can see it being a bad decision if the Orioles knew of his arm issue and decided to trade for him anyway a la the Michael Morse trade a couple years back.

That said, hopefully it's just a minor issue and he can turn it around. Would suck for him to get healthy but not have the same swing or power behind his swing prior to the injury.

I don't buy this. More likely you hope it's serious so you can trash DD again.
  • Downvote 1