Frobby

Are you in favor of the Pearce for Heim deal?

Are you in favor of the Pearce for Heim trade?  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Are you in favor of the Pearce for Heim trade?

• Yes. Pearce can help us.
    • No. Too much to give up for a rental who will play part time.

I've never been a Pearce fan. I am a Nolan fan. I don't think Heim is all that, but I would've liked to see him included as part of a deal for a more impactful player than Pearce.

This trade seems like a payback for when we gave the Rays Chad Bradford for nothing down the stretch a few years ago. If we were on the other side of this trade we'd be banging our heads against the wall.

I remember when that happened, and I was actually glad about it ...... that's how much I hate the Yankees and the Red Sox.

P.S. At that time (2008), the Orioles's farm system was getting better, and would continue to get better in 2009 and 2010.

At that time (2008), I knew that the Orioles were at least 2 years away from being a contender (it wound up being 4 years), and although Bradford was our best relief pitcher at the time, he was a 32 year-old veteran who was not going to be part of the Orioles' return to respectability in 2010, 2011, 2012, and beyond.

So giving the D-Rays a player that might help them stave off the Yankees and the Red Sox for the division title (they did), and who also might help them beat them should they meet head-on in the playoffs (they did, with the D-Rays beating the Red Sox in that year's ALCS) was something that I liked. If they had given up somebody like Wieters, Reimold, Tillman, Bergesen, Matusz, etc. that had a good chance to be a part of the Orioles' future, then I would not have liked it at all. Giving them a veteran pitcher who was in the twilight of his career was considerably different than that, though.

This trade seems like a payback for when we gave the Rays Chad Bradford for nothing down the stretch a few years ago. If we were on the other side of this trade we'd be banging our heads against the wall.

Billy Beane still owes us a solid for Pat Neshek. Maybe he will send us Coulombe for cash...or a few MASN shares.

I like Pearce, and I'm not upset about Heim going to TB. So why vote NO?

Just another outfielder to muddy up the lineup. If they wanted a backup player for the bench, I would have preferred a player who could steal a base, or come in and move the runners over with a good contact AB.. or bunt. OH WAIT.. wrong team!

I like Pearce, and I'm not upset about Heim going to TB. So why vote NO?

Just another outfielder to muddy up the lineup. If they wanted a backup player for the bench, I would have preferred a player who could steal a base, or come in and move the runners over with a good contact AB.. or bunt. OH WAIT.. wrong team!

?

Pearce is hitting .310 this year with an obp of like .390. He gets on base and can serve as great depth while splitting with kim and giving otheers a day off if needed.

I just got back from vacation. Just got the great news that Steve Pearce is back with the team he belongs with. Welcome back! Let's sign him so that he never leaves again.

I just got back from vacation. Just got the great news that Steve Pearce is back with the team he belongs with. Welcome back! Let's sign him so that he never leaves again.

Id like if we did this offseason. Such good depth.

Heim seems like a guy who ultimately ends up as a backup-backup catcher. And that's after he simmers on the farm for a few more years.

Pearce fills an obvious and immediate need for a team that's in the playoff hunt at the trade deadline.

Hard for me to see how this poll isn't 100% positive on the move... (0_o)

Having not seen much of Heim, it's a tough question to answer. Good chance Heim never amounts to much. However, he just turned 21 in June. He'll start next year at age 21. That's the age of most college juniors. He'll be either repeating High A or even be in AA. That's pretty darn good for a catcher. He looked like he was breaking out this year early in the year and was not able to keep it up but he still shows signs of potential breakout with the plate disicpline and some emerging power. Buck, himself, talked about this kid like he was the best defensive catcher of the 3 (Sisco/Heim/Murphy) that we drafted. He's a switch hitter with good size. Pearce is a nice player but he's a 1) a rental 2) probably not going to play everyday

When you continually trade prospects, it's going to come back and bite you at some point. How are Alex Murphy and Yermin Mercedes ahead of Heim on our depth chart when it seems like both are longshots to stick defensively at the position? The Orioles are in a hitting slump right now but I doubt Pearce can single handedly fix that problem. Some have pointed out that he's most likely due for some regression. We'll see. Is Pearce the missing piece? Seems doubtful. We could have and probably should have signed him before the season, same as we should have held onto Miguel Gonzalez. Again, like with all prospects, Heim probably amounts to nothing special but I don't like giving up potential for something we could have had for virtually nothing in the first place.

I did not like Pearce last year. This year he is back to being a four win type player.

He's been a 2-win player in 60 games. But his career rate is 2.1 wins per 500 PAs, so he's probably going to be worth half a win over the 30-odd games he'll play from here on out. You can't just take a niche player whose playing time and role has been set up for him to succeed and extrapolate that over a full season.

Brother Lo wasn't a 7-8 win player in '82 because he was a 4-win player in 380 PAs.

He's been a 2-win player in 60 games. But his career rate is 2.1 wins per 500 PAs, so he's probably going to be worth half a win over the 30-odd games he'll play from here on out. You can't just take a niche player whose playing time and role has been set up for him to succeed and extrapolate that over a full season.

Brother Lo wasn't a 7-8 win player in '82 because he was a 4-win player in 380 PAs.

IMO, Pearce is a professional blue collar fan that fits in well this clubhouse and respected by Buck.

He isn't going to carry this team, or expected to, but like Flaherty, he will have a bench role/limited playing time that will help the team.

Again, IMO.

P.S. At that time (2008), the Orioles's farm system was getting better, and would continue to get better in 2009 and 2010.

At that time (2008), I knew that the Orioles were at least 2 years away from being a contender (it wound up being 4 years), and although Bradford was our best relief pitcher at the time, he was a 32 year-old veteran who was not going to be part of the Orioles' return to respectability in 2010, 2011, 2012, and beyond.

So giving the D-Rays a player that might help them stave off the Yankees and the Red Sox for the division title (they did), and who also might help them beat them should they meet head-on in the playoffs (they did, with the D-Rays beating the Red Sox in that year's ALCS) was something that I liked. If they had given up somebody like Wieters, Reimold, Tillman, Bergesen, Matusz, etc. that had a good chance to be a part of the Orioles' future, then I would not have liked it at all. Giving them a veteran pitcher who was in the twilight of his career was considerably different than that, though.

You knew it huh :scratchchinhmm: So after 11 losing seasons you knew and predicted the O's to win ok.

Edited by xKHx