Can_of_corn

Baseball America: Major League Best Tools

To summarize for the O's:

Trumbo and Davis 1-2 in the AL in best power.

Manny best defensive 3B and best IF arm in the AL

Britton 2nd best fastball in the AL (Chapman), best reliever in the AL

Buck 2nd best manager in the AL (Francona no. 1)

Geez, provide some spoiler tags next time. :P

Note: But Buck and Francona are in their 4th spot as manager.

I have no problem with they said, except, the homer in me, has Buck ahead of Francona.

No love for Schoop in defensive 2B category?

I don't know if Schoop belongs in the top 3 but if Altuve is the best in the AL than he has improved a ton from a few years ago.

The thing is that with shifts you don't see too many of the diving plays, web gem types, from your middle infielders. Seems like more opportunities are there for the 3rd basemen. Playing SS isn't like what it used to be. I don't know what the metrics say but just from watching the games it seems like 3rd is the new SS.

I have a lot of hesitation trusting the judgement of a group that decided Gibbons was a good manager.

I don't understand that selection either. The Blue Jays have underachieved based on their Pythagorean record every season since he's been with the Jays.

I don't understand that selection either. The Blue Jays have underachieved based on their Pythagorean record every season since he's been with the Jays.

Is there any reason to believe that has any connection to the manager? The manager is like the President. He has some usually small influence over a lot of things, but gets nearly full blame or credit for almost everything. I'm sure Buck, Earl, and James K. Polk had years where their teams fell short of their Pythag.

Is there any reason to believe that has any connection to the manager? The manager is like the President. He has some usually small influence over a lot of things, but gets nearly full blame or credit for almost everything. I'm sure Buck, Earl, and James K. Polk had years where their teams fell short of their Pythag.

1972 comes immediately to mind. The O's underperformed their Pythag by 10 games that year with Earl at the helm.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• It’s not even the ABs, in my mind. If severino holds serve with his bat and shows that he’s cleaned up his defense, someone will be interested at the deadline. There’s pretty much always a playoff contender willing to give value for a quality second catcher it seems. 
    • So...I shouldn’t book a flight and hotel in March then?
    • Looking on Fangraphs, Shaw was not on their list of 37 prospects they rated.    So, I’d guess he would not crack our top 30.    
    • I decided we need a thread for weird, anomalous stats we come across from time to time.   Here’s a few I’ve seen in the last couple of days: - The 2020 Royals finished 26-34 and their bullpen had a 3.84 ERA, but somehow they had a 95% save rate (19/20). - The 2020 White Sox had a .143 BABIP at DH, and the Angels had a .187 BABIP there.    
    • Just to be sure my point isn’t misconstrued, this depends on the needs of a particular team as well as what’s available in the market at a given time.  WAR already accounts for the relative value of offense vs. defense, and how much offense is typically available at a particular position.   So overall a 1.5 WAR DH is just as valuable as a 1.5 WAR multiple position player.   But not for every team and not at all times. Looking around the AL, four teams had a .651 OPS or worse at DH.   You’d think a team like that could use a guy like Nunez.
    • So, does Shaw get a place in our top-30, or do we know yet?
    • DH is NOT a full-time position unless you’ve got Edgar Martinez on the roster. Rotating DH is for roster flexibility, resting a regular, playing a guy on a hot streak, easing back in after an illness, and so on. Devoting a roster spot to one guy who does nothing but hit is a foolish use of a spot, unless he’s a glorious, “proof there is a God” hitter. And Nunez isn’t. I looked up his offensive stats at Baseball savant. Of ten offensive categories, his percentile rank was above average in only two, and one of those just barely(xSLG was %55) his sprint speed was  fairly close at 43%, but in the other 7, he was 35% Or lower. That’s not Edgar territory. By comparison, Nelson Cruz was horrible in sprint speed( no bunt singles for HIM) and K rate, but terrific in every other category... and he’s 40. He IS a, “Proof there is a God” hitter. Man, Cruz is amazing. That was really one we let get away.
  • Popular Contributors